87 - It's Over

And so the fight continued, with both you and Deku dodging pillars like crazy, smashing them into bits and pieces. Both of you wanted Nighteye to survive, but only one of you knew it wouldn't happen.

"Hey girlie," Chisaki smirked looking over to you. "You said I couldn't manipulate her. What'll you do if I go against that?"

You glared at him and created a butterfly knife, one which you would be able to throw at an angle so that it could return to you.

Your vision was blocked by the rubble, the only thing keeping you steady was the flashes of green which gave you a sense of direction.

But soon, even those stopped.

"Deku?" You called, kicking Chisaki.

"Keep on moving, save her and Nighteye!" Deku yelled back. "I'm fine Firefly!"

Though before your could respond, Chisaki created a pillar from above. It instantly knocked you off course, throwing you onto the ground as if you were nothing. You coughed as you landed on your back.

You were sure you felt blood.

"Eri! Come back. Now!" Chisaki ordered with his hand that resembled a bird beak. "Did you want all this?"

"Don't do it," you glared. "She's with us, with Lemillion. She won't listen."

"Won't she?" Chisaki smirked, pointing towards the door.

"I didn't," a child's voice responded boldly. "I'll stay with you, just don't hurt them!"

"No Eri, go back to Lemillion," you pleaded.

'Aw look at that, the police wants to speak my little girl,' the Boss taunted. 'Tell them and they get hurt. You wouldn't want that now, would you baby?'

'N-no sir...' you whimpered, going downstairs to meet the officers.

An endless cycle of pain. Anyone who dared to help you got killed. The only way out was by kidnapping you before he could.

"Tell me, Eri, do you think these two hero wannabes can defeat me on their own?" Chisaki drawled.

"N-no sir," she responded, truthfully yet still anxious.

"Good girl. So what should you do to save them?" Chisaki asked.

"I will come back to you, and in exchange you will bring everything to normal," Eri nodded.

"That's right, only you have to be hurt for it to be easier on everyone else," Chisaki grinned. "You're a burden, Eri."

"Don't go back to him, Eri," you begged, though even your voice was starting to slur.

You couldn't get up anymore, you were too weak to, and you were sure you had a concussion. Yet you still wanted to save the girl.

The girl who couldn't smile.

"Give up, Firefly," Nighteye rasped out. "In the future I saw, Deku and I died, you were in a coma. And Eri? We couldn't get her. We won't get her, Chisaki is more powerful."

Your eyes widened, tears stinging in your eyes as you grit your teeth. You couldn't believe it. A coma. There was still so much you wanted to do, so many people you wanted to be with.

Yet you lost it all.

Perhaps in another life?

Your dizziness only increased with your fatigue, as your eyes soon dropped shut, for you were unable to control them much longer. You'd lost. And worst of all, you never got to tell him the truth.

In your half asleep state, you missed a lot of the fighting, though you knew that Chisaki considered you dead. Until the ceiling suddenly collapsed in on itself, and the rescue squad entered.

As soon as you met eyes with them, you knew you were in good hands and didn't bother fighting your consciousness anymore.

You let the world go black.

The next time you woke up was in the hospital, machines attached to you to monitor your breathing and your pulse.

"What?" You rasped out.

"Hassaikai raid," Asui responded. "Everyone survived, we got Eri out."

"Nighteye, what about Sir Nighteye?" You asked, trying to sit up.

"Ma'am please, lie back down," the nurse advised. "You sprained your back and got a second degree burn, it's best you rest."

"Can I walk?" You asked, annoyed.

"Yes of course, the broken ribs were healed with Recovery Girl's assistance," she nodded. "But your back just needs a day or two, and the burn will scar."

"Fabulous, where is Sir Nighteye's room," you demanded, already getting up.

"I don't think you're in the right state to see him right now," Asui intervened. "He meant a lot to you, didn't he?"

You stayed silent, relaxing your shoulders as soon as you realised what the frog like girl meant.

"I couldn't save him," you whispered. "He... he was right... we can't bend the future."

"Deku-kun survived, we got Eri out, everyone is safe," Asui argued. "Recovery Girl hasn't given the verdict on his condition yet but I'm sure you'll find out soon."

With that, she left the room, leaving you sitting in shock at the edge of your bed.

"Ma'am, you will be discharged today," the nurse informed. "Is there anyone you would like to call before you go home?"

"No, no thank you," you choked out.

She nodded and left as well, leaving you fresh clothes from your hero costume kit to get changed into. You were quick to comply, changing into them, leaving the room as soon as you got your notice of discharge.

But instead of going to Nighteye's hospital room, you went outside and sat at a park bench right in front of the hospital, coffee in hand. You looked inside the cup, your own reflection glaring back at you.

None of the heroes were alright, you knew that much.

Everyone had overused their quirks to get the girl out, the girl who might not even end up in the custody of the heroes.

"Hey," a voice interrupted your thoughts, the owner sitting opposite you. "Thanks for saving me back there, it was kinda lame of me to think we could go further."

"No worries," you shrugged. "How bad were the injuries?"

"Just a concussion and a face wound, it'll heal soon," Amajiki sighed. "Your injuries?"

"Broken ribs, concussion, burns and a sprained back," you groaned. "RG healed most of it, but the burns and the sprains are going to need more."

"You continued?" Amajiki gasped.

"Of course I did, that girl needed to get out," you shrugged. "God Chisaki's such a scumbag."

The two of you stayed quiet for a while, just acknowledging each other's presence in silence.

"Aren't you going to see Nighteye?" Amajiki asked finally.

You were taken aback by the question, which instantly caused your upperclassmen to panic, flustered as he tried to fix his mistake.

"Don't worry about it," you sighed, taking a deep breath.

'I guess I just don't want to see another person die right in front of my eyes.'

A/N: one more chapter and then part 6 is officially over!!

QOTD: Favourite quote from the book so far 👀

Have a great day/night!!