22 - L/N and Recovery Girl

The Dragon Heiress, rumoured to have died years ago in a fatal fire. She'd lived in the slums, narrowly escaping death multiple times during her stay there.

But now you stood, watching as the audience in the arena stood to pay respect, both for you and your parents.

You looked down at the boy in your arms. He was unconscious, hanging limply as you made sure his head was stabilised before taking him to Recovery Girl's office.

You sat down as the old doctor took care of the boy, concern evident on your face as guilt weighed down upon you.

"An electric shock would have been harder to treat," the old doctor smiled, to which you looked up, perplexed. "He just overused his quirk. Had it even touched you at that power, you might have had severe injuries."

You sucked in a breath as you realised how dire the situation was, though the guilt never left your heart.

It was just the first bracket and you had already revealed your heritage, as well as used your quirk. The match had been difficult, you were worried for your next one, well aware that the battles only got harder as the opponents got stronger.

"Dearie, he'll wake up soon," Recovery Girl sighed. "There's nothing to worry about."

"With the holograms I put up anyone would have a heat stroke," you scoffed. "Not to mention, the Dragon bite."

Recovery Girl's eyes widened as you mentioned the ultimate move that had been carried down generations in your family, distinct and quick.

"Y/N, are you sure?" She asked. "You don't have control-"

"The dragon appeared and it did something to him and now he's unconscious, I can't bring it out because I don't know how to," you groaned.

"It didn't come easy for your mother either," she mumbled, taking a seat opposite you. "She could create holograms perfectly, absorbing heat and releasing it with pinpoint accuracy."

"Heatwave," you smiled as you remembered her ultimate move, named after her husband's hero name.

Your father had the same, making them form a complete entity when they fought together.

"Exactly," she sighed. "She inherited the quirk as well, but took years to master her dragon. And when she did, she called me, all excited that she wasn't going to overuse her quirk that easily anymore and end up in the hospital."

"My dominant quirk is my dad's though," you reminded.

"Yuma already had a weaker quirk than usual, her mother's overpowering that of the heir," Recovery Girl explained. "That continued on, though you have the accumulated power of all the heirs."

You looked down at your wrists before meeting the doctor's eyes again.

"That's nine generations," you gasped, to which she nodded.

"You're the ninth," she stated, much to your surprise.

Generation after generation, a quirk that was passed down through family, one which weakened steadily as other quirks came into the mix.

"Actually, it wasn't the quirk itself that got weaker," Recovery Girl continued. "It's stayed the same for as long as I can remember, being influenced by other quirks as well. I'm sure you know why your family was so respected?"

Generations ago when the first quirks were being discovered, they were amongst the few who had one.

'Your great grandfather, he hid himself from a bad guy who stole quirks,' your mom explained, telling you the story you'd heard a million times before.

'Don't stop now mama, this is my favourite part!' You begged, though she only kissed your forehead, promising to continue the next day.

"Yeah, my mom told me," you whispered.

She never continued telling you the story the next day.

Instead, you were left in a burning house, small flecks of ash falling on your nose as the embers continued to glow brighter than ever.

"Nezu might have the original family document in his archives, a heirloom passed across all generations to learn about your power and to know what you were getting into," she thought aloud.

You pursed your lips, images of your dead parents flashing through your mind.

One pummeled to death on site, to the point where his body wasn't even recognisable, the other withered to ash in your very own arms.

'I'll be late to work at this rate,' your father grinned, ruffling your hair as he accepted your card for father's day. 'Can't leave the citizens helpless, can we?'

You babbled in displeasure as your father left, still unhappy as he left for work, refusing to take a day off like your mother had suggested.

"History happened, I can't change the fate," you sighed. "I took my mother's words of wisdom, learnt from my father's mistakes and now I'm at U.A. I won't need anyone to help me further if all they are is a hindrance that leaves."

'I'll never leave you,' your mother whispered, croaking out her last words in pain as the rest of her physical body withered into ash.

'Liar,' you cried. 'You lied!'

The fire blazed angrily, flames growing taller as you screamed for your mother to return.

She never did, but another pair of strong arms wrapped themselves around you, the flames slowly going away as you sank into them.

"You need to let people into your life," Recovery Girl advised. "Doing everything alone only hurts others who watch you repeatedly face death."

'I will be fine,' All Might coughed out, bones showing as he attempted to uphold his muscular form. 'The public needs me.'

'The public needs a hero who can serve them for longer,' Nighteye responded. 'Please, stay.'

"I'll be fine," you stood up, a smile plastered on your face. "But my match is soon, we've gone through the first bracket."

"I wish you luck, L/N Y/N," Recovery Girl nodded as you walked out, curious to see your next opponent.

'And our next contestants will be, Todoroki Shoto of Class 1-A vs. Midoriya Izuku from the same!' Mic announced, making you nervous as you headed up to the arena.

"Y/N, we'll be fighting each other this round," Iida greeted, to which you nodded, taking a seat.

"Midoriya against the hot shot son of the number two hero, huh?" You asked, raising an eyebrow. "My money's on Shoto."

"Do you have no faith for Midoriya?" Iida asked incredulously.

"Deku is a weakling who can't control his quirk," Bakugo responded. "Heiress knows the icy hot bastard somehow, and she knows how he ticks. Don't you?"

"You're brighter than you let on, Bakugo Katsuki-kun," you leered, glaring at him.

"So you think he'll win with only half his power?" He scoffed.

"Freeze the opponent in multiple layers, and there you have it, they'll have hypothermia and you'll have a win," you concluded, challenging him to retort as the match in front of you prepared to begin.

Only one could emerge standing.

A/N: more backstory wooo!

QOTD: any ideas of the meaning behind the last sentence?

QOTD pt 2: thinking of putting a line like that after every chapter, usually with a meaning. Thoughts?

Also yes I thought of a backstory for the quirk. No I will not take criticism (unless it's improvements on the backstory ofc)

Have a great day/night!