44 - The Not So-Oasis

We trekked through the forest. We went at a decent pace, keeping fairly quiet but not going too slow. As we moved onwards I felt my heart race. I really hope that nothing has happened to the other students.

"This is strange..." Sheriff Wyn muttered. "Where are all of the slimes?"

"Not here." John replied. "Is it that strange?"

"The reason no one has ever conquered Oasis before is due to the slimes." Sheriff Wyn explained. "While not dangerous by themselves, this forest has hundreds, maybe thousands."

"Ah." John replied. "Yeah, if there are that many we should have come across some."

"I've never fought a slime before." Sapphire stated. "What do I need to know?"

"Physical attacks are useless." Sheriff Wyn informed. "You need ta use magic in order to damage them. They'll regenerate from physical attacks."

"Got it." Sapphire nodded.

We continued trekking through the forest. We weren't completely sure where we were going. We were just trying to find something.

Slimes, Devil Riders, students, anything.

And then we started to hear something in the distance. Sheriff Wyn turned towards us, putting a finger to her lips.

We continued forwards, slowing down to a very slow and quiet pace. Eventually we found ourselves on the outskirts of a clearing in the forest. We hid behind the trees, gazing at what was going on.

"Where is that damn scout group? What is Harold doing?" Growled a man. He had a spiked jacket with a skull painted on his face. He looked quite strong with his muscles.

"That's Skullface..." Sheriff Wyn whispered. "The leader of the Devil Riders..."

Skullface? Then what is he when he takes the paint off?

"Humanface." Sally suggested.

Well that name just sucks.

"Boss, do you think something happened?" A Devil Rider asked.

"What could possibly happen?" Skullface questioned. "It's a town full of nobodies. They can't do anything against us. We've literally taken over the single forest in Hell. This gives us so much power."

"Alright boss." The Devil Rider nodded. "The slimes have been getting a little rowdy."

"Well, they can't do anything." Skullface scoffed. He patted a clear box which was tied to his side. In it was a slime. However, instead of the stereotypical green or blue, it was yellow with a small crown perched on its head. It was about the size of a head.

"Not while I have their king." He stated. "They wouldn't dare to go against me while I have their king at my mercy."

"What is that...?" Anna whispered.

"A King Slime." Sheriff Wyn stated. "But usually they're larger."

"What does he mean?" Dawn questioned. "He's acting like the slimes are intelligent."

"Maybe they are." Sheriff Wyn theorized. "Which is why no one has conquered this place before. They aren't ordinary slimes, they understand what's goin' on."

"That's...strange." Anna stated.

"What about our hostages?" Skullface asked.

"Safely secured inside the buses." The Devil Rider informed. "They haven't tried anything on our guards yet."

"Good." Skullface replied. "Once we figure out who they belong to we can ransom them. Found anything yet?"

"No." The Devil Rider shook his head. "Everything went offline about when we ambushed them. We've been struggling to get everything back up with how remote we are."