Safe in your arms

Jai's POV

I watched as James hung up his phone and ran off towards a taxi. I stood up and ran out of the restaurant after James. I got to the taxi just before it was about to take off.

"James what happened? Where are you going? Do you want me to drive you home?" I asked him out of breath. It began raining heavily but I didn't move.

"Sarah broke up with me. And she's moving." James told me.

"I'm sorry man. Let me drove you home." I offered him.

"I'm not going home. I'm going to see Veronica." He told me simply before the driver took off.

"Who?" I asked myself confused. What the hell was going on? I heard a pair of heels clicking on pavement and running towards me.

"Jai what's going on? Is James ok? Where is he going?" Natalie asked worried.

"Sarah broke up with him. And she's moving. And now he's going to see Veronica." I told her exactly what I knew.

"Sarah did what?! No way. She wouldn't do something like that. And who's Veronica?" She added.

"I have no idea." I admitted. We stood there for a while in the rain confused.

"Something's up." She shook her head.

"Come on. Let's go back inside." I told her as I took off my jacket and put it on her when I noticed her shaking.

____________________________________

James' POV

I paid the taxi driver and got out and ran up towards her front door. I knocked heaps of times before the door swung open.

"James? What are you doing here?" Veronica asked shocked.

"Veronica. I love you." I admitted before leaning forward and pressing my lips onto hers.

I expected her to push me away, but instead she kissed me back. I felt something I didn't feel with Sarah. Kissing Veronica was so different to kissing Sarah. I felt sparks. More like fireworks. All around us. It was like magic.

Eventually we finally pulled apart and stood there breathless.

"Come inside. It's freezing outside and you're soaked." She smiled and pulled me inside before shutting the door behind me.

I went and sat down in the lounge while she went upstairs to grab me some dry clothes to change into. She came back downstairs and handed me a jumper and a pair of pants.

"Here. These should fit you. I'm gonna go make some hot chocolate. Just go use the bathroom to get changed. You know where it is." She smiled as she handed me the clothes and walked into the kitchen.

________________________________

Veronica and I were sitting in the lounge drinking hot chocolate and talking. I had told her everything that happened and she was really supportive. We had almost forgotten about the kiss. Almost.

"James. About the kiss-" She began before I interupted her.

"I know, I know. It doesn't mean anything and you want us to tjust stay friends I ge-" I began before she cut me off.

"James. Shut up for a second. The kiss. It meant something to me." She admitted shocking me.

"It did?" I asked.

"Yeah. I mean we've been friends for a few months now and, well, I think I love you..." She trailed off looking embarrassed. She looked away from me but I put my hand under her chin and turned her head towards me.

"It meant something to me too." I admitted before leaning forward again.

__________________________________________

Natalie's POV

"Natalie!" I heard Jai scream again. I ran down the dark alley looking for him, but I couldn't find him anywhere.

"Jai! Jai where are you?!" I called out to him. I kept running, searching frantically for him.

"Natalie stay away! They'll find you!" He screamed back. His voice sounded much closer. I kept running and turned a corner until I saw him tied up and covered in blood and dirt.

"Jai!" I exlclaimed as I ran up to him. Just before I got to him I felt a pair of storng, cold arms grab me and pull me away.

I wriggled out of his arms and ran back to Jai.

"Natalie go!" He shouted.

"No! I'm not leaving you!" I shouted back before pressinng my lips onto his.

We both knew this would be the last kiss we would ever share but there was no way we would admit it.

When we finally pulled away we were both drenched in tears.

"I'm not leaving you." I whispered and kissed him again. As our lips moved in sync I heard a gun shot and felt the bullet whiz right past me. I pulled away to see Jai bleeding heavily from his chest.

"Natalie. I love you. Never forget that." He forced the words out.

"Jai don't say that! Listen to me! You're gonna be fine!" I cried untying the rope around his hands. Once they were free he wrapped his arms around me and we both fell on the ground.

"Jai you're gonna be fine ok." I forced him a smile.

"I love so much Natalie." He whispered as he kissed my forehead.

"I love you too." I whispered back before I heard another gun shot go off.

I sat up abruptly. I was sweating and breathless. I had never had a dream so vivid in my life. I felt my cheeks soaked with tears as I buried my face in my hands. I was too afraid to go back to sleep as I might have the same dream.

"Baby you ok?" Jai asked snapping me out of my thoughts. He sat and wrapped his arms around me.

"Yeah. I just had a bad dream." I forced a smile as he pulled me into his chest.

"Then why are you crying?" He asked as he rubbed my back and kissed my head.

"Because it seemed so real." I told him.

"What happened?" He asked.

"I was down this dark alley and you calling me. I kept running until I found you but then someone grabbed me and pulled me away but I got away from them and ran back to you. You kept telling me to just go but I told you that I'd never leave you. Then we kissed, but it was different, because for some reason we both knew that it would be the last we would ever kiss. Then there was a gun shot. You were shot in the stomach and you started saying how you'll always love me and to never forget that. I untied the rope around your hands and we both fell to the floor. Then we both said our I love yous before there was another gun shot and I woke up." I explained to him.

"It's just a dream. Don't worry about it." He smiled.

"I know. It's just it was so real." I pointed out.

"But none of it's real. And it never will be. Except for one part." He smirked.

"What are you talking about?" I asked confused.

"I love you. And I always will. Don't ever forget that." He whispered as we came face to face with our noses touching. I giggled and kissed him on the lips before lying back down with Jai's arm wrapped around my waist.

There was just something about that dream that worried me. It seemed so real. Like it meant something. Something like a message. I just couldn't figure it out. And before I knew it I was fast asleep wrapped safely in Jai's arms.