Prologue

Okay, everyone, here is the start of book 3! Amazing, right! I finally started the third book! Yay for that. :) I hope you guys like it. :) Please comment and vote for it; I'm still dedicating chapters to my loyal readers and if I've already dedicated to you, I might do it again! :) And please help me to vote for The Nation Charmer to win the fantasy on the rise watty awards for 2012! The picture on the side is of Luna. :)

Prologue-Six Years Ago

                The moon drifted across the midnight-blue sky, briefly stopping on the step of a castle. A winter wind blew across the area, blowing cold air everywhere. Clouds shifted as the wind rose; the moon rays fell upon a newly-born baby.

                The baby was pale, as white as the snow that surrounded her silver blanket. A small tuft of white blonde hair grew across her forehead. Her eyes snapped open; they were the pale silver of the winter moon.

                She blinked slowly, angelically, as her long eyelashes brushed her white cheeks. Her ears were straining to catch the sound of voices that were coming from the inside of the castle.

                “…will you look after them? I don’t want them to know the truth unless they absolutely have too. Can you look out for them?”

                “What if they still remember their past? Especially Troy, Kayla.”

                “Can you take away their memories?” the first voice, Kayla, asked.

                “That ability is not within my power, Kayla, you know that. But Romulus can. If you really want him to take away their memories, he can give false ones in their places or leave the pockets empty…”

                “Then do it. Where is he, by the way?”

                “All the other magicians have gone for a field trip with Rosalie and Edith,” the second voice, a male voice, said. “Niccolo remained behind and Ella and Olive are here with me as well. Romulus often goes for missions in the human world and he’s on one now. His twin, Remus, is probably on the field trip. But, will the children agree, Kayla?”

                The large oak double doors swung open, narrowly missing the swaddled child. Kayla and the ten-year old boy standing next to her both gave a startled cry of alarm.

                “An abandoned baby?” Kayla asked in shock, staring at the infant. Do you often have children appearing on the doorstep, Cedric?”

                The ten- year old boy, Cedric, shook his dark head. “No, never since I’ve arrived here, unless they are accompanied by a protector or something. Or they come alone, but they are usually at least ten years old.”

                “Would any mortal be stupid enough to come through the illusion of brambles?” Kayla demanded, her brow furrowing.

                Cedric shook his head again. “Even though I’ve only been here for a short time, I don’t think that they could come across it on purpose. Maybe by accident?”

                Kayla shrugged. She stooped to look at the infant, who stared back at her with those intelligent silver eyes. It was a little inhumane, but if she was a magician, human was not the norm.

                “Is she a magician?” Kayla asked.

                Cedric shrugged. “I don’t know. I’ve only been here a couple of months. Maybe Ella and Olive would have some way of guessing if he or she is?”