16-Playing Pretend

I guess we are playing pretend

Alex hasn't said a word about the kiss all day.

Of course I couldn't corner him at lunch because I have lunch detention.

That was filled with Naomi and I sitting in a room together with Mrs. Dupree.

We are both suspended from cheering at Fridays game. So now I have nothing to do that night.

With the whole Alex thing though, I woke up at Cora's and went down stairs to have breakfast.

He was there and didn't say a word to me when he saw me, he just went back to eating his cereal.

So I sat across from him eating breakfast as well.

In silence.

I would rather him tell me upfront he doesn't want to do it again rather than avoid me.

After school I go back to Cora's house for a while.

I am having dinner with Ed and Martha later.

"So I know halloween is in a few weeks. We should, I think, start brainstorming what we're going to be." Cora says as we step into her house.

"I say we do what we do every year." I say passing the kitchen and walking up the stairs.

"But thats putting it up to chance." Cora groans.

We are both indecisive when it comes to selecting a costume so we have a system for picking out halloween costumes every year.

Both of us find five ideas each that we might want to be. We write those down and put them in a bowl.

Which ever one we pick is what we dress as for halloween.

"We do that every year, what's so different about this year?" I ask.

We pass Alex's room, his bedroom door is shut.

I wonder if he's in there.

"Well what if its something I don't want?"

"Then don't write it and put it in the bowl." I suggest placing my bag down by her dresser.

She falls down on to her bed.

"What if like I think I want to dress up as something but then I pick it out of the bowl and decide it's not for me anymore."

I shrug, "Then pick another one."

She sits up, "We should do matching costumes."

I shake my head, "No."

Cora flips her hair over her shoulder. "Yes we could be fairies. Like the ones from that movie. I'll be tinker bell and you can be one of the other ones."

"One of the other ones?" I ask unlacing my shoes.

She rolls her eyes, "I forgot there names."

"Well either way I am not going as a fairy."