Lesson 35

Lesson 35: Trust

Holly POV

Things at home have been weird. Todd is always in a crabby mood after my mom refused to leave Elijah. It is incredibly selfish for me to be mad at her for wanting to be with him, I know that. I guess I never expected for her to be with someone else, let alone move on. My whole family was a wreck after my dad passed, I felt so bad seeing everyone like that. I knew that I had to try to be strong for them. Holding my tears was hard but I got used to it.

“Hey mum” I tell her joining her in the kitchen. She gives me a small smile. After Louis left the other day, we all sat down and had an incredibly long talk. Elijah apologized to me in private for what he said. I couldn’t help but forgive him.

“Where do you think you are going?” My mom asks to my brother. He rolls his eyes at her, he is known to hold a grudge.

“Why do you care all of a sudden? I’m of age and I can do what I want.” He grumbles, picking up his car keys before heading out. I can't stand to see my mum hurt, my natural instinct is to comfort her.

“He’s just hurt mum, he will get over it” I tell her.

“I know. I’m going out with Elijah soon. Please try to convince your brother for me. I know it was unexpected but I have been single for a while now and its about time I try to find someone for myself.” She tells me, that selfish anger pushes its way up again and I swallow it back down.

“Can Louis come over?” I ask her. She gives me a look, taking a seat next to me.

“About that, when did you start seeing Louis.” She questions and I gulp. What do I tell her?

“A little after the dinner. We began to hang out and we kind of just….” I trailed off. I am obviously not gonna go into detail about our whole situation. I refuse to have that talk with mother.

“And you kept this from me?” She asks again, a little hurt. She is used to me telling her everything, but I guess she did also keep her boyfriend a secret so we are...even?

“I just wasn’t sure about it” I lie, knowing exactly why I kept it from her.

“I don’t think I am comfortable with this whole thing, he’s older than you, and he has a troubled past Holly.” She tells me, I can tell she is hiding something from me but I am mostly hoping she doesn’t forbid me from seeing him.

“Please don’t over react mum, he’s good to me” I say to her. As the words leave my mouth a small part of me identifies that as a lie. I don’t know why so I push those thoughts away.

“I don’t want him over with no supervision.” She says and I sigh. I shouldn’t push it.

“We weren’t gonna do anything mum.” I huffed in annoyance,although  I can’t really be sure that we wouldn’t do anything.

“Sorry but those are my rules.” I choose not to argue with her and simply just get some water out.

“I like your outfit today Holly, the scarf goes nice with that shirt.” She tries to start up our conversation but I ignore her again. I hate being treated like a child. I sit down and put my hair up into a ponytail, trying to decide what I am gonna do while I am here alone. Out of no where my phone starts ringing.

“Zayn? Isn’t he that kid with the tattoos?” She asks and I grab my phone away from her, she can be so nosy sometimes. I take the call up to my room and answer it.

“Hello?” I answer.

“Hey beautiful.” He replies. He needs to stop calling me that. As nice as it is, he needs to know where we stand.