Lesson 22

Lesson 22: Enemies

Holly POV

Today has been really boring for me. Todd’s gone, My mum left, Louis is out with his mum and sisters, even Zayn isn’t hear. I tried calling Niall but apparently he is also busy. The only thing left of me to do is unnecessary cleaning. I tend to do that when I have stuff on my mind or I am bored. So far my room was clean, I thought I’d clean the living room next. I kinda feel bad that lately I have been so distant with her and my brother. I have never had anything exciting going on with me and for the first time, I can actually say I am living my teen years. It might not be the most innocent way of living them but its better than before when I would hibernate in my room for weeks.

The phone machine went off causing me to go back to my senses and away from all my thoughts.

“You have one new message and 3 saved messages. New message” The monotone machine answered.

“Hey Auntie Jane, Todd and Holly! Its Samantha! I have been missing you guys a lot lately and I would love to spend time with you! Your phone call brightened my day Auntie! I have already packed and everything! I can’t wait to see you guys tomorrow! Oh and tell Holly I said I can’t wait to re-patch our friendship. I’m sure the both of us will have a good time! Well see ya soon. Love you lots!”

“End of new messages”

The air seemed to be knocked out of me as I stared at the machine with my jaw dropped No. Not her. Not now.

The cringe worthy memories started to hit me like a bus as I recalled all the things that happened with Samantha, how she used to make fun of me, put me down, and set me up in embarrassing situations.

Its safe to say that my cousin Samantha is one of the most vile human beings on earth. Well, at least to me she was. She made my pre-teen hood hell. When we were around people like my brother or any family member for that matter, she suddenly turned into a saint, but I knew how she really was like.

The worst part is, I would always put up with it. She was the only ‘friend’ I had. She made me feel insecure and terrible about myself. Samantha is one of the main reasons why I walked through high school with my head down.

She can’t be back. Why would my mother call her for? I honestly think I wont be able to survive in this house with her. I let out a loud annoyed groan.

I picked my phone up and immediately dialed Louis number. I needed to stay with him during the time she was here and I need a new key for my room and I need security cameras and I-

“Holly?” Louis voice soothed me.

“Louis. I have a big problem. I need to stay with you for next couple of days please.” I told him.

“Whats a matter?” He asked clearly confused at my strange demands.

“My cousin Samantha is coming over and I can’t stay in the same house her Louis. I really can’t. She made my life miserable once and I can’t have this happening again.” I rushed my words a bit.

“Don’t worry babe, I’ll arrange something for the both of us okay?” His words made me sigh in relief.

“Thanks Louis”

“No problem, listen I'm kinda busy right now. I’ll call you later okay?” He told me making me frown slightly.

“Alright bye” I said as I hung up the phone. I looked once more at the answering machine and began to wonder. Why would she come back here after all of that time? Why now?

Just as I was about to turn away my cellphone rang.

“Hello Holly, I have fantastic new for you” My mothers overly enthusiastic voice sounded.

“What is it” I had a pretty big feeling of what she was about to say.

“Well...since I decided to stay at my friends house I felt bad leaving you home alone so I made a call you your favorite cousin Samantha! I remember all the good times you two had and I thought you needed a female around since I wont be home. I explained to her the situation and she said she would love to look after you. Now, keep in mind poor Samantha hasn’t been Doncaster for many years so its your responsibility as the host to show our guest around.”

“No way! I don’t want her here! She’s only a two years older than me I don't need anyone to look after me. I will not show her around! The only thing I’ll show her is the door!” I raised my voice.

“Holly Samuels! How dare you say that about your own cousin? She is coming over as a favor because I am thinking of staying longer. I work constantly and you can’t allow me to have a break? You will suck up whatever hatred you have against her and you will take her out. I told her to call me if anything was wrong and I expect you to be on your best behavior. Do it for me Holly. I haven’t gotten a break in months. Be a little considerate towards your own mother. She’ll be there tomorrow and she is staying in your room. I think you should try to bond with her. You haven’t seen her in years. How bad can it be?” My teeth were gritted as I had to stop myself from saying something really rude.

“Fine” I suppressed my anger and hung up the phone not giving her a chance to speak. I know once I calm down I will begin to feel guilty. My mother never gets a break and its not like Samantha will be here for more than a couple of days.  I’ll just have to deal with it. Louis is gonna stay far from her because I know how she is. She will totally make a move on him and that thought alone gives me an uneasy feeling.

I plopped down on the couch and laid there for a little while. I needed a distraction from all of this. I picked up the remote and started flipping through the channels. These next couple of days are gonna be long.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~