Lesson 33

Lesson 33:

Holly POV :

“Well this is boring.” I mumble to myself as I sit on the couch flipping through channels. Todd is in his room blasting music, and I decided I should spend sometime out of my room, I’m in there way too much sometimes.

“Mom’s coming home in 10 minutes. She wants us both to be dressed nicely waiting for her here” Todd tells me and I sigh looking down at my robe. I don’t have time to shower right now so I quickly put on a one piece blue romper and tie my hair into a messy ponytail before freshening up. I know my mom would kill me if she sees how messy my room is so I take it upon myself to clean it rather quickly.

I rush to the living room and sit until my mom enters.

“Holly!” She says once she enters the house. I give her a hug and I almost don’t notice the man behind her. I go question her but she beats me to it.

“Holly this is Elijah. Where’s your brother? I want them to meet.” She says before walking towards Todd’s room leaving me to stand there in an awkward silence. Elijah smiles me and I look away from him being too shy to start any conversation. He’s a tall man with deep brown skin and a bright smile. He looks professional and like he could afford a lot more than my mother with the way he dresses so elegantly.

“Todd, this is Elijah.” My mother says as they both walk in. Todd, being the protective person he is, eyes him up and down before shaking his head.

“Your mother has told me so much about you both. It’s great to meet you.” He says and he has the same voice of the man I heard over the phone all that while ago. Is my mother seeing this man? Did she break her promise to us that she made when we were younger? The questions keep getting deeper as I wait for her to confirm them.

“I wanted you both to know that Elijah and I have been seeing each other for a while now. I just never told you about him because I wanted to make sure he was good enough for you both before I did. He’s very fond of you guys, right Elijah?” She says and I feel an overwhelming feeling of shock. That’s slowly replaced when I look at Todd. I know he is gonna take this worst than I will.

“What do you mean you are seeing him? You promised us that you would always love dad. You said that you would never forget him.” He turns to look at me for support and I can’t form any words at the moment.

“Todd, I know how you feel about your father but I think its time for me to be happy, don’t you think?” She says and I almost feel angered by her words. It’s selfish to think that she would always stay alone but the thought of her trying to replace dad hurts more than I thought it would.

“So you are replacing dad with...him?” Todd shouts. I look at the ground not wanting to be apart of this conversation.

“If I may; your mother has told me about your father and how great he was and I will never try to replace him. I just want us to be a family.” Elijah speaks, holding my mothers hand.

“A family? You don’t even know us? This is bullshit!” Todd says leaving the room only to have my mother chase after him. Again I am left alone with Elijah and I admit, I feel a little bad for him. He seems like he has good intentions.

“I’m sorry. Todd was just really close to our dad.” I finally am able to speak. He looks at me with with his brown eyes before shaking his head.

“I know what its like to lose a father from cancer. I lost mine a couple years back. I don’t blame him. It must have been tough for you kids having to see him like that at such a young age. I can’t imagine what it must have felt like to see your father lose his hair and slowly deteriorate from the inside out.” His words hit me hard. I know he didn’t mean to but I find myself swallowing tears from the horrible memories that I tried so hard to push back.