Forty Three; Are We Out Of The Woods Yet?

"They're coming, Mother!"

"No, it's too soon, the moon is not high enough. Go! Quickly!"

Esther commanded and with her rushed words, Bonnie and Abby retreated into the house. Kol, Elijah, Elena and Klaus walked up. Esther looked at them emotionlessly.

"My children, come forward"

"Stay beside me, mother"

Esther walked onto the pentagram as Finn warned his mother, earning a pair of narrowed eyes from his sister. Esther looked at his eldest son assuringly and smiled lightly.

"It's okay, they can't enter"

Kol approached the pentagram and the torches around it flared up bright. He had driven back and scoffed with annoyance. Elena, looked impressed, smirked to her mother.

"That's lovely. We're stuck out here, while the favorite son plays sacrificial lamb. How pathetic you are, Finn"

"Be quiet, Kol. Your brother knows virtue you cannot even imagine"

Esther hushed Kol harshly and it was easy to say that Kol felt sad, at least for Elena it was easy. She knew he was sad, he loved his mother and his father strangely. Elena took a step closer to her mother and looked at her.

"Whatever you think of us, killing your own children along with your grandchild, will be an atrocity"

"The child you are carrying is no less abomination than you or Niklaus. My only regret is that I did not let you die a thousand years ago"

Elena tried to sped to Esther but Klaus held her down. After a few struggles, she was free from his grip yet, seemed more calmer than her previous state.

"Enough. All this talk is boring me. End this now, Mother, or I'll send you back to Hell"

"For a thousand years, I've been forced to watch you. Felt the pain of every victim, suffered while you shed blood. Even you, Elijah, with your claim to nobility, you're no better. All of you. You're a curse on this Earth. Stretched out over generations. If you've come to plead for your life, I'm sorry, you've wasted your time"

After a few minutes Esther's facial expressions changed, Elena smirked gladly and continued to observe her mother's face with the biggest satisfaction one could feel.

"No! Sisters! Do not abandon me!"

"Mother!"

The pentagram torches flared up. Finn grabbed Esther. The other children of Esther cowered from the flames and after a moment the torches died out. Elijah, Klaus, Elena, and Kol stood around in shock. Finn and Esther were gone.

———

"I thought you'd have gone by now. Elijah's leaving, probably taking Tabitha with him. Kol's fled. Esther and Finn are gone too"

Elena said as she was looking at the emptiness. Her hands were placed upon her belly and Rebekah sat next to her with a sigh upon her lips. Elena looked so tired at that point.

"I hated you when I learned you hid the truth about our mother. But I realize now that after a thousand years together as a family, you are the only one who never left me"

"Well, aren't we a pair?"

Elena smiled and said, Rebekah smiled slightly too. She pulled out her phone and looked at Elena with sadness and tiredness, matching to her energy without even trying.

"There's something I need you to see"

Elena grabbed the phone and shrugged with the scene. Because to her, it was just the empty caves they once had written their names.