Seventeen; Start Of An Age

1919 New Orleans, Louisiana

It was a full house at the theatre as Elena, Rebekah and Klaus had been sitting in a private box. Klaus, looking bored and impatient, red the program while Rebekah looked around anxiously for Marcel.

"Well, this is off to a bad start. Your first big date together in public after I gave you my blessing, and he stood you up"

"Something must have delayed him"

"Or, now that your elicit affair is out in the open, he finds the whole relationship a tad lackluster and has run off to Havana with a showgirl"

Elena rolled her eyes and hit his arm gently while trying to suppress the urge of laughter. Klaus smiled to his beloved and connected their lips pretty quickly. Rebekah rolled her eyes to them, no matter how sweet they looked.

"Don't be such a toerag. I'm going to check the lobby, will you come with me sister?"

Elena nodded and stood up, only for Klaus to hold her hand and smiling at her. Rebekah rolled her eyes at how inseparable and needy they were, as if she was something different.

"See if you can find our brother while you're there. The curtain is about to go up, do not make me miss you"

Elena smiled and kissed his lips once again before leaving with Rebekah. Klaus watched them with a smile and set the program down. Someone entered the box and sat down behind him. There he was, reason of their misery, holding a white oak stake.

"I would advise against trying to flee, boy. I can drive this into your heart before you can even think of getting to your feet, and I don't want you to die yet"

"Father-"

""Father?" Haha! Still clinging to that word after all these years, a bastard desperate for a daddy? I wonder if your real father would be as embarrassed as I was of you before I discovered you were not mine. Most likely.

Angry, Klaus was about to turn around but Mikael stoped him only angered Klaus even more. He desperately needed Elena at that moment. He knew she could save him.

"Oh, oh. Uh-uh. Easy now, boy. Don't worry. Death will come, but we need to have a little chat before you shuffle off your immortal coil"

"Any words we have for each other have been spoken long ago. But, know this-I am no longer the animal begging for scraps of your affection. I will die knowing my hatred for you was just. I will fall proud of all I have achieved here. So, Mikael, if you're going to kill me, then get on with it"

"Au contraire, Niklaus. Some things remain unsaid. For instance, you were right to be proud of your achievement here. As I walked the streets, your name was spoken of in reverent tones by the city's finest. So, after I kill you, I will remain here in New Orleans until every last person who remembers you is dead. The deeds of the mighty Klaus will be remembered by no one And you, boy, will simply never have existed"

Mikael relaxed, pulling the stake away from Klaus as the lights went down. He leaned forward and tapped Klaus' shoulder. He was scared for sure, he was scared for himself, for Elena who had left with Rebekah, for Elijah he could not manage to see.

"Ah, the Grand Show! Oh, I made some alterations in your honor. You'll love it!"

And what show it was.

The curtain went up to reveal Marcel staked in the hands to a wooden cross. He was barely conscious. Lana, the werewolf queen had been befriending Elena, and some other things with Niklaus both him and her ended because of the undeniable guilt, was dead and was propped up on a swing, her mouth was taped shut, and a stake was impaled through her chest. The audience was laughing and applauding.