Thirty Three; It's Nice To Have A Friend

"But if your mother was a witch, then-"

"Am I? No, a witch is nature's servant; a vampire is an abomination of nature. You can either be one or the other, never both. My mother did this for us. She did not turn"

For the last twenty minutes Rebekah was talking about her family history to Tabitha knowing maybe it was the right thing to do. Tabitha frowned and looked at Rebekah.

"But Elena is a witch"

"She is a different kind of witch from a different bloodline. She is a siphon witch and when she turned into a vampire it only caused her to being able to siphon from herself, giving her the unlimited power"

"How did you turn?"

"Our mother called upon the sun for life, and the ancient white oak tree, one of nature's eternal objects, for immortality. That night, my father offered us wine laced with blood. And then he drove his sword through our hearts"

Tabitha looked at Rebekah with horror and shock in her eyes. She was stunned with the things Rebekah had just said. "He killed you?"

"And he wasn't delicate about it either"

She took a bottle of wine, broke its neck off with one motion of her hand and threw into the fireplace which made Tabitha flinch.

"It was euphoric! The feeling of power was indescribable...but the witch Ayana was right about the consequences. The spirits turned on us, and nature fought back. For every strength there would be a weakness. The sun became our enemy, it kept us indoors for weeks. And though my mother found a solution, there were other problems. Neighbors who had opened their homes to us could now keep us out. Flowers at the base of the white oak burned, and prevented compulsion. And the spell decreed that the tree that gave us life could also take it away, so we burned it to the ground. But the darkest consequence was something my parents never anticipated, the hunger. Blood had made us reborn and it was blood that we craved above all else. We could not control it... And with that, the predatory species was born"

Tabitha gulped and looked at Rebekah who was looking at the fireplace with sadness in her eyes. She was debating on whether she should talk again and ask questions or not.

"Why did Mikael start hunting Klaus?"

"When Nik made his first human kill, it triggered his werewolf gene. With that, he became my father's greatest shame"

"Yeah. Elijah told me this part of the story. Your mother had had an affair with one of the werewolf villagers. Klaus wasn't his son"

"She tried to make it right. She put the hybrid curse on Nik to suppress his werewolf side, and then she turned her back on him. But Mikael's greatest weakness as a human was his pride. As a vampire, that was magnified. He went on a rampage and killed half the village. Then he came home and killed her"

Tabitha gasped and looked at Rebekah who was looking at her emotionless, at least trying to look emotionless. Tabitha looked at her once again to confirm.

"Mikael killed your mother?"

"He said she broke his heart so he would break hers. He tore it from her chest as Lena and Nik watched"

Tabitha was visibly sad with the new information she had just received. Rebekah continued to glance at the fireplace and sighed.

"Afterwards, my father took off in a rage, and the rest of my family scattered. Nik and Lena stayed, so he could help us bury her. They knew I had to say goodbye to my mother"