Twelve; Can't Speak About

Years passed, so so so many years to count yet they were still together as a family. They had some missing members maybe but Elena had her lover and her favorite brother along with her sister so why would she care?

Finn was daggered along with Kol. Elena knew it was the best way to keep them hidden even if it meant to get rid of both of them so she just had watched Niklaus as he daggered her brothers.

Rebekah would fall for men like she was falling asleep, all due to boredom, Elijah would spend his days in peace and quiet and Niklaus could not be happier with Elena by his side even after almost five hundred years of vampirism.

They had gone through hell and beyond, especially after the night Niklaus killed all the hunters around. The hallucinations were horrifying, the way he wanted to kill himself for years was horrifying. No spell was able to save him and no power could stop it and one day, it just stopped.

They all had suffered when he was hallucinating. The amounts of times that he hurt every single family member of his could not be overlooked yet they did never blamed him for.

He was hallucinating the worst things, the way people he trusted most were calling him monster, pressuring him to kill himself was almost his worst memories of the period.

"Nik?"

He rose his head and smiled to her widely. She looked flawless under the covers, so unearthly gorgeous even scared him for a second.

"Do not move"

"You have been drawing me for days, it must be boring"

"I would rather call it inspiring and refreshing"

She chuckled softly and stood up only to meet with his disappointment gaze. She wrapped her body around bed sheets and walked next to him.

"How come a piece of art of mine could be more beautiful than me?"

"Nothing is more beautiful than you, not this piece of art, nothing"

She smiled and made her way to his lap effortlessly. She placed her head on his chest as he wrapped his arms around her body.

"Your birthday is in two days"

"You do not seem so interested"

Elena let out a humorless chuckle before sighing and shaking her head. He frowned and looked at her pouty face, he was able to guess why she was not pleased at all.

"I have a strong feeling that I do know the reason of your uninterestedness"

"I am so selfish to feel in this way, am I not?"

"You are not selfish, Elena"

She sighed and buried her head to his neck. He also sighed and caressed her hair lovingly. He placed little butterfly kisses on her hair.

"I just do not want to see the face that I despised once, and the one you loved-"

"I did never love her, she was only a distraction to keep me away from your dreams"

He said, waiting for a chuckle or a giggle. Yet Elena remained silent which made him sigh again and kiss her forehead slowly.

"From the very moment of my existence, you are the only one I did love truly and you will remain in this way, one and only"

"I love the way you are making me happy"

"I love it even more, my dear, trust me I do"

The doppelgängers, cruel cruel creatures only to lie and manipulate and hide. They would divide families, they would cause a lot chaos, they would hurt every single being around yet everyone will still love them dearly.