Nine; Breath

Lucien was bound by his wrists in a cellar in the De Martel castle while Tristan was viciously whipping him across the back. His screams of pain and agony were filling the glorious castle.

Lucien gripped the restraints around his wrists as hard as he can to fight through the pain of his back, which was bloodied and raw from the whip. The sound of his screams had drawn Elena, Klaus and Elijah's attention, and the three of them eventually entered the cellar to investigate.

They all were horrified by the sight in front of them as Tristan turned to greet them with a smug smile, his face was splattered with Lucien's blood. Elena despised him at the moment, a lot.

"Have you three come to watch as Lucien receives his punishment? I fear I'm being a touch lenient, given his intentions for my sister"

Elijah was clearly upset by the sight of his friend being tortured so brutally yet, approached Tristan with a little hesitation in his voice.

"Why torture a loyal servant? I'm sure this is all a misunderstanding"

"One that remains outside your concern. As son of the Count, I may discipline staff as I see fit. Should you take issue, then I'll need to remind you that you are a guest"

Elena, Niklaus and Elijah, torn between helping Lucien and exposing themselves, hesitated for a moment as Tristan returned to whipping Lucien. However, Elena was unable to bear to watch this torture so she grabbed Tristan by the arm and stopped him.

"Step away from him! Now"

Tristan, panting from exertion, looked at Elena in amusement yet Elena's face was serious as dead, Tristan's very own death.

"I know what you are, my lady. Our house servants speak of demons hunting in the night. I, myself, interviewed one such maiden. Quiet pretty. Thus far, the only survivor of these attacks.

Elijah, upset by this news, closed his eyes and sighed as he considered their next move. Elena was not happy about being disposed yet she did not show any weakness just as Niklaus.

" I asked what manner of creature had hunted her. She said she was certain it was the Lord Kol, but with the face of a beast. Your entire family sought refuge here, claiming to be noblemen, when, in fact, you are fiends. I can only surmise that you are hiding, which means you're afraid. Somewhere out there, something is even more savage than you"

Elijah looked anxious, but Klaus, infuriated, grabbed Tristan in a choke-hold, causing him to gasp in shock and pain as Klaus' vampire-face came out. Elena could have smiled with pride yet she kept her expression cool.

"This is not going to be pleasant"

"Do so at your peril. But, should any misfortune befall me, know that I have instructed my fastest riders to spread word of your presence here. Whomever seeks you would most certainly hear the news"

All Elena, Niklaus and Elijah were panicked by this reaction, and though Klaus just squeezed his throat even harder, Elena eventually intervened. She touched Klaus' shoulder and sighed.

"Nik, release him"

Klaus continued to squeeze Tristan's throat like he was in some kind of trans, but Elena was insistent on her request.

"Please, my love"

Finally, after a moment, Klaus let Tristan go, albeit reluctantly, and blinked away his red vampire eyes. Tristan gave all of them a smug look as he recovered and Elijah wanted to punch him so bad.

"See? We are not so different after all. You wish to protect your family. I wish to protect mine"

Tristan turned away from them and headed back toward Lucien, who was still suspended by his wrists from the walls on each side of him. Tristan pulled a knife out of his belt and grabbed Lucien by the hair so his head is pulled back. Lucien gasped in fear, and all three of them watched in horror as Tristan slices Lucien's mouth from ear to ear.