Chapter 3

Justin's POV:

We get back to the law firm and everyone in the lobby is staring at us. Dana looks at me with worried eyes. I don't say anything and lead her into my office.

"Ignore them. They're just jealous a new attorney got to meet with the board." I say. I actually don't know the reason but it's the only reason I can think of at the moment.

"Oh, no. It's fine. It's actually nothing to be jealous of with the way they treated me." She says, trying to laugh at the pain of the interaction. I put a hand on her shoulder. She stops staring and turns away.

"Can you show me to my cubicle?" She asks in a monotone voice. She sounds almost like a robot. I'm scared to move but I do anyway.

"Sure, this way." I say and I can hear her following me. It feels like we are the only ones in the hallway; even though I know we're not.

"Here is your office," I say. The cubicle is small. It has a computer on the right-hand side with a wheely black chair. The cubicle is painted a depressing gray. Almost like it's meant to suck the life out of you.

"Thanks." She steps inside to put her stuff down. The cubicle has her name on it. Dana Lane. The two stand there awkwardly.

"You can leave now." She says. My eyes go wide, my hands go out of my pockets and my mouth is open like a fish.

"Oh right. Sorry. I'll let you get some work done." I say, rushing out of the office.

I head back to my office. I stare at my computer screen. It's full of emails I have no real desire to read nor respond to, so I stand up and take a walk around the office. Once I'm back in my chair, I somehow force myself to read and respond to these dreaded emails. I think about the meeting.

I should have said something. But what I could've said that wouldn't have put my own job in jeopardy? Did Dana feel supported when I went out to lunch with her? What if she leaves the firm?

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when I hear a knock at my door. I look at the clock. It's already 5 pm? Did I get any work done?

"Uh come in!" I say loudly so the person on the other side of the door can hear.

"Hey, I'm gonna leave." She says. She doesn't say anything else.

"You don't have to tell me. I'm not your boss." I tell her. She pierces her lips.

"I was saying that because I want you to have dinner with me, babe." She says. I quickly pull her in.

"I told you not to call me that in the office," I whisper harshly. The tension is thick, almost like you could cut a knife through it.

"Sorry." She says, almost playfully. I growl but don't go any further. I smirk.

"I'm kidding. You can call me whatever you like." I laugh. She chuckles nervously.

"Hey. You know I would never do anything to hurt you, right?" I ask now my heart breaks.

"Yeah. It's just with Lucas, he would-" I cut her off and stroke her hair.

"Lucas can never hurt you again. I promise." I said, kissing her on the head.

A/N: That's chapter 3. Don't forget to vote and comment on your favorite part of it. Would you like a flashback chapter on Dana and Lucas?