Chapter Thirty-Four

Robert's pov
It had been a week since Andy had been released from the hospital, and I'd stayed at home with her the whole time. I didn't want to leave her alone, in case something happened, so I took some time off work.
However, Lucas had called me earlier saying he needed me to come in for a shift. He had meetings all day, and Gibson couldn't be acting captain because then there wouldn't be a lieutenant.
I'd said no straight away, but Andy had heard, and insisted that I go in, saying that she'll by fine by herself for one day. I still didn't want to leave her alone, but I knew that Andy would get me to go in one way or another.
"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" I asked as I finished making two smoothies: one in a glass for Andy, and one to go for me.
"Robert, for the millionth time, I'll be fine," she laughed, and I sighed.
"I know, I'm sorry, I just don't want anything to happen. Promise me you'll call if you need anything or if anything's wrong?" I asked.
"I promise. Now you need to get going or you'll be late," Andy said, pulling me into a hug.
"Okay. I love you," I responded.
"I love you too," Andy said.
Before I walked out the door, I kissed Andy, the kiss not lasting as long as I would've liked because I knew I couldn't be late.
As I drove to the station, I thought about Andy. She's been through so much in her life, and yet she's still the strongest, kindest, most amazing person I know.
When I finally got there, I headed straight to my office. Luke had already filled me in on what I'd missed, so I didn't have to worry about that.
The rest of the team were in the beanery, so I went up after about 10 minutes.
"Captain! We didn't know you were coming back," Montgomery said, as everyone greeted me.
"I'm not properly back, just for one shift," I told them. I wasn't sure what Luke had told them about why I had been off work, so I decided not to bring it up.
Thankfully, before anyone asked, the alarm went off, so we all ran to the barn. I was on aid car with Vic, so I knew she would ask about Andy. Her and Luke already knew about us, so I didn't need to pretend that we're not together.
Sure enough, as she was driving, the first thing that Vic asked is how Andy's doing.
"She's still not completely better, but she's getting there. Dr Grey said she should make a full recovery in a few more weeks. I'm still worried about her though, she's been through so much," I told her.
"Yeah, I can see what you mean. Maya was her best friend, I still can't believe she did that," Vic said.
"Me neither," I agreed.
The call didn't take long, the fire was put out quickly, and we only had to treat a few people for smoke inhalation.
When we were back at the station, I went up to my office to fill out the accident report, and do some other paperwork. Before I got started, I messaged Andy to see how she was.
Robert: hey, just checking in. how are you? I can't wait for this shift to be over so I can come back home and see you. Love you lots xxx
Andy: I'm fine thanks, just a bit bored. I can't wait for you to be home either. Love you lots too xxx
I smiled when I got her response. It put my mind at rest slightly, knowing that she's okay.
However, that didn't last long. About half an hour later, we got another aid car call. We were already climbing into the aid car by the time we heard the address.
"Did that just say- that's mine and Andy's house," I said, panicking. Vic looked at me, clearly worried too, and then sped out of the station, driving even faster than usual.
On the way, I tried calling Andy, and our house phone, but she didn't pick up on either of them.
I'd recognised the number that called as the old couple that live next door to us, but I didn't know what could've happened that they would've called 911 for our address. I was terrified, I knew I shouldn't of left Andy alone. When we got there after what felt like hours but was probably only a few minutes, I jumped out of the aid car before Vic had even stopped driving. Without even thinking to get anything from the aid car, I ran towards the door and opened it with my key.
"Andy! Where are you?" I shouted, but I got no response. Then, I heard quiet sobs coming from the stairs, so I ran over. Andy was sat leaning against the wall at the bottom of the stairs, crying.
"What happened? Are you okay?" I asked, and she nodded through her tears.
I sat down next to Andy, wrapping my arms around her and pulling her close to me. She rested her head on my chest, still crying, and I stroked her hair softly to try and comfort her.
A few seconds later, Vic came running in. I put a finger up to my lips to signal that she should be quiet, and then gestured back to the door. Thankfully, she took the hint, and went to wait in the aid car, leaving me and Andy alone.
For a few more minutes, I held Andy close to me as she cried, doing my best to just show her that I was there for her. When she had calmed down a little, I pulled away to look at her.
"What happened?" I asked softly.
"Nothing, I'm fine. Thank you for being here for me though," Andy replied, leaning her head on my shoulder again.
"You're welcome, and you know that I'll always be here for you, always. And something clearly happened, the neighbours called 911, and you were crying. You can talk to me Andy," I said.
She was silent for a few seconds, but then she took a deep breath and started speaking.
"I'm fine. I was bored, so I decided to go and take a shower but I tripped when I was going up the stairs. It's just so- so frustrating, I just wanted to prove that I can do things by myself even with all these stupid injuries. I'm sorry Robert, I'm so sorry," Andy stuttered, as she started to cry again. I pulled her closer to me again, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.
"Listen to me, you have absolutely nothing to be sorry for, you've done nothing wrong. And it's okay to need help, because we both know that you'll get better eventually, even if it does take time. And until then, I'll be here with you every step of the way," I told her.
"Thank you, for everything. I love you so much," Andy said.
"I love you too," I said, kissing her lips softly.