Chapter Fifteen

Maya's pov
We were all sat in Andy's hospital room, and it was uncomfortably silent. I was trying to think of something to say, but I couldn't. Sullivan and Andy were still holding hands. I could tell it wasn't awkward for them, but it was confusing for the rest of us. We could all tell by now that something was going on between them, but none of us knew what - or if any of the others did they haven't said anything.
I also noticed how Vic was sat next to Ripley, and neither of them seemed uncomfortable or awkward about it. I hated not knowing what was going on, so I was getting kind of annoyed today.
"If you don't mind me asking, do you two know each other or something?" I blurted out before I could stop myself. As soon as I'd said it, I regretted it. Everyone turned to glare at me, and Travis hit my arm gently to warn me not to say anything else. "Oh my god I'm sorry I"- I started to apologise but Ripley cut me off.
"Bishop a word outside please," he said, and I nodded, following him into the hall.
As soon as I closed the door behind me, I started to apologise again, "I'm sorry chief, I shouldn't of said anything."
"You're damn right you shouldn't of!" He snapped, before shaking his head. "In future you need to think before you speak Bishop. Whatever is going on between Sullivan and Herrera, if there even is anything, is their business, nobody else's." I nodded, looking away awkwardly. "I'm going to get the others, you're all still on shift so you need to get back to the station," Ripley said as he stepped back into the room. As the door opened, I heard nothing but silence in the room, and I realized I'd probably made it even more awkward for everyone. I noticed all of their heads snapped upwards when the door opened, looking to see what Ripley had been saying to me.
"19, get back to the station, you're still on shift," Ripley said. As everyone started to file out of the room, he added, "Hughes could you wait a moment please?" Vic nodded, looking slightly confused. Ripley didn't say it as a command, more like he was asking her, and he sounded nicer than usual. We all said goodbye to Andy, and Sullivan, before heading out of the hospital and back to the station. Ripley had said that he would drop Vic off at the station in a few minutes, so we could take all of the vehicles.

Lucas' pov
There was an awkward silence in the room and I knew it was because Robert and I were there and none of them wanted to say anything wrong in front of their captain or chief. After a few minutes, Bishop spoke up. "If you don't mind me asking, do you two know each other or something?" As soon as she said it, everyone glared at her, myself included. When she started trying to apologise, I cut her off, and asked to speak to her in the hall. I was mad about what she said, and I didn't try to hide that. It wasn't her place to question them, it wasn't anyone's. And people finding out about them was what tore their relationship apart last time. I knew that Robert and Andy would also be mad, but if they said anything, it would just prove that there was something between them. Luckily, I managed not to let anything slip to Bishop, I just told her to think before she speaks and that they could all go back to the station for now. I couldn't stand the awkwardness in that room any longer, and I doubt anyone else could either.
As the team started to walk out of the room, I asked Vic to stay behind. I don't know why, but I wanted to talk to her. Earlier in the waiting room, she had been so easy to talk to, and I'd never felt that way with anyone before.
When it was just the four of us in the room, it wasn't so awkward in the room. We all knew about what had happened between Robert and Andy, so after Andy had told Robert that Vic knew, we were all fine with it. "We'll go in a minute, I just wanted to make sure you two are okay," I said, because I knew they would probably want some time alone together. They both nodded, still holding hands.
"We're alright, but like we said earlier, we're both going to need at least a week off," Robert said.
"Okay, I'll sort that out when I drop Vi- um Hughes off at the station," I told them. "We'll go now, give you too some privacy. Bye Sully, bye Andy."
"Bye Andy, bye captain, hope you both get better soon," Vic said.
"Bye," Robert and Andy said at the exact same time, causing us to laugh as we walked out of the room. Vic and I walked down the corridor in silence, but when we got outside the hospital, I put my hand on her arm to stop her.
"Thank you, for today," I said, smiling at her.
"Your welcome, and thank you too," she said, smiling back. Then, she did something I wasn't expecting. She stood on her tiptoes and threw her arms around my neck, bringing me into a hug. After a second, I put my hands around her waist, hugging her back. Neither of us wanted to pull away, but after a while, we did.
"We should get back to the station before people start to wonder what's taking us so long," Vic said and I nodded in agreement.
We drove back in silence, but it was a comfortable silence, not like in the hospital earlier. As I pulled up to the station, we both got out the car and headed inside. I was stepping in as interim captain while Robert was off, so I was going up to his office, while Vic went to the beanery. As I was about to go up stairs, Vic turned to me, "You coming to the beanery?" I shook my head.
"I'll have to get the accident reports filled out and some other paperwork, but I'll come up once I've done," I explained.
"Ok, I'll see you in a bit, bye Lucas," she said smiling at me.
"Bye Vic," I said, smiling back.

A/n: I promise the next chapter will have more Surrera moments!!