Chapter Twenty-Three

Andy's pov
I groaned as my alarm went off before leaning over Robert to switch it off. As soon as it was silent again, I laid back down, snuggling into his chest. "We need to get up," he whispered.
"Mm I know but can't we just stay like this a little bit longer," I murmured sleepily.
"Five more minutes then," Robert chuckled. After the five minutes were over, I still didn't want to get up. "Are you nervous?" he asked.
"Huh? What for?" I said, playing dumb.
"You know what, going back to work," he said.
"I guess I am a bit nervous," I sighed. "I know for a fact everyone's going to be weird about us being back. And I don't particularly want to speak to Maya, or even see her to be honest."
"I'll put her on aid car if you want, so she'll be out of the station most of the day," Robert suggested. Usually I would've said no, it's fine, but today I really didn't want to face her.
"Thank you," I whispered, and Robert pressed a kiss to my head. We both got up and dressed, and were soon downstairs. Seeing as we got up late, we didn't have time to have breakfast, but Robert made both of us smoothies to go. We decided to take separate cars so that nobody would see us come in together. Before I got in my car, I ran over and kissed Robert, and said, "I love you." He looked at me and smiled.
"I love you too," he said. We kissed one last time before getting in our separate cars and driving to work. Robert was allowed to drive now, seeing as his leg was getting stronger, but he still had the boot on, and had to use crutches when he walked. I got to the station before him, so I sat down at the front desk and got started with some paperwork. Usually, I would go up to the beanery to see the rest of the team first, but I really wasn't in the mood today. It was only a few minutes until Robert came in, and when he did we smiled at each other. "If you need anything at all today, just come to my office or text me," he whispered, making sure nobody was around to hear us.
"Thank you. If you need anything you can text me too or do your bellow across the station thing and ask to see me in your office," I whispered back and we both laughed. Then Robert went up to his office and I got on with paperwork. A few minutes later I saw Vic walking down the stairs so I shouted her over. She was the only person I could talk to, since she knew about Robert and I.
"Hey Vic," I shouted, and she smiled and ran over when she saw me.
"Andy, hi! When did you get here, you didn't come up to say hi?" She asked.
"About ten minutes ago, I didn't really feel like talking to anyone to be honest. I know it's going to be weird, I've not been at work for ages, plus what happened with Maya, plus everyone saw Robert and I holding hands at the hospital," I explained and she nodded in understanding.
"If it helps at all, everyone's been missing you. It's not the same without you here," Vic said, half smiling at me, and I laughed.
"Thank you," I said. We sat for a few minutes until the alarm went off. An incident requiring all vehicles. "Go. But I want to hear everything about the call when you get back. I'm going to be bored out of my mind stuck on desk duty all day. I listened as everyone raced into the barn.
"Warren, Bishop, you're on aid car. Gibson, Hughes, you're on engine. Montgomery, Miller, you're on ladder. And Gibson as lead lieutenant, you will be acting as captain on this call seeing as I've not been cleared to go out in the field yet," Robert ordered, and moments later the vehicles were pulling out of the station, the sirens slowly fading into silence. I was getting back on with my work, filling in some forms on the computer, when I felt a pair of arms around my waist, and a kiss on my cheek.
"We're at work," I said.
"Yes, but there's nobody else in the station," Robert replied.
"I guess you've got a point," I said before spinning the chair around and kissing him. We had just been sat there kissing for a few seconds when we heard someone clearing their throat behind us, and we sprung apart quickly.
"You're lucky it's me and not somebody else who might report you two," Ripley laughed. "Luke what are you doing here?" Robert asked, awkwardly standing up properly again. "We had a meeting remember? So I could catch you up on what you've missed the past week. If you want we can reschedule though, you seemed kind of busy," Ripley said, raising his eyebrow slightly. At that moment the phone started ringing so I leaned over to pick it up. Before I did, I gave Robert a peck on the lips and said, "You two go, I've got to answer this anyway." He nodded and walked up to his office with Ripley. "Station 19, this is Herrera speaking. How can I help you?" I said, my tone different to before. For the rest of the shift, I answered phone calls and did some paperwork, which was very boring. At lunch, Vic bought some food to me, knowing I wouldn't want to eat with the team. At some point during the day, I spoke to everyone except Maya. I knew I would have to talk to her eventually, but I was trying to put it off as long as possible.
When shift was over, I went and got in my car ready to drive back to Robert's. I was just checking my phone before I started driving when I got a text.
Robert: I've got some incident reports to finish up so I'll meet you at home. I'll only be about 10 minutes late. Love you ❤️
As I read the text, my heart started pounding in my chest. Home. As in our home? Or did he just mean his home? Just the possibility of sharing a home with Robert again made me so happy. With that thought in mind, I started driving with a smile on my face. Driving home.

A/n: Hope you like this chapter! I have another fanfic up, Station 19 Oneshots, feel free to check it out :)