The Return (Part 1)

Y/n woke up on the beach, scared and frightened for her life. Where's mommy and daddy? Did they leave her behind again? Not that she would be surprised. They left her behind so often she was sure they didn't care about her anymore, but they were still her parents and she had nowhere to go. For being as young as she was, Y/n was very mature. Not very many kindergarteners were able to grasp how terrible life truly was. How parents aren't the heroes everyone sees them as. How dreams arent anything that come true. To them, it's all happiness and hopes that will never meet the daylight. It was probably a bad mindset to have as a child, but it was the sad truth. Maybe it was better that she found out sooner rather than later. She had a better sense of reality. She wouldn't waste her time wishing on shooting stars or hoping for that happy ending. She knew how stuff like that ended and it was not happy. She's seen it herself. Her parents always constantly arguing and getting drunk. Seeing how much they hate each other. Students stressing over school. People hating their jobs. Watching people fall out of love. Maybe there is no true love. It's all just a cover to protect the innocent minds of children, to not expose them to the truth of the matter that life sucks and there are no happy endings. Sadly, this is the world they all live in. Why hide it from children only for them to find out later anyway? Why lead them on for so long, only to have it be crushed in the end? She just didn't see the point, she'd rather know at an early age than let herself get let down later in life.

With that being said, Y/n took a few deep breaths and told herself that her parents would remember eventually and come back for her. She was tired of crying for hours until they remembered that they left her behind. At least the beach was pretty; something she could enjoy while she waited. The sun was starting to set, leaving the sky in an array of colors from red to blue. Y/n sat down on a small rock when she tried to recall why her family was on the beach. She realized that they hadn't even been to the beach in months. Her parents didn't want to watch her and thought she was too young to look after herself, so they hadn't gone at all. Y/n started to get scared. She began to think she had gotten kidnapped when a voice from behind her spoke.

"Who are you and what are you doing on my island?" It was a boy, and he sounded angry. Y/n turned around to look at him. He was only a teenager, but he still looked very frightening. He was leaned sideways against a tree with his arms crossed. His face softened immediately as she looked at him and he stood up, letting his arms drop to his sides.

Y/n became even more frightened as he slowly walked towards her, concern covering his features as he knelt down to her height. "How did you get here?" he asked softly. Y/n still didn't feel safe and knew what could happen when talking to strangers so she kept silent. "Hey, you don't have to be afraid of me," he said bringing his hand up to hers. Her tiny hands fit perfectly in his palm.

"Mommy says not to talk to strangers. She says it's dangerous," Y/n said quietly, whimpering slightly in fear.

"Okay, okay. Well, then let's not be strangers," he said with clear enthusiasm. "My name is Peter Pan. I live here on this Island. Um... Why don't you ask me some questions to get to know me?"

Y/n was no longer scared, just doubtful. She thought for a minute before asking him anything. "What's your favorite color?"

"Well, I would have to say green wouldn't I?" he laughed slightly, gesturing to his entirely green outfit. Y/n also giggled a bit. She thought the outfit looked odd but she couldn't judge him. After all, she didn't know him.

She hesitated again. The demeanor of the boy had changed completely in just a few seconds from the first sentence spoke. "Where do you work?" she asked.

"Umm, well I don't really work. I mean... I live on an island. There are not many job openings for me is there?" he laughed a bit again.

"My mommy says people who don't have jobs are called hobos and are a waste of space," she said smiling. Peter Pan laughed for real this time, looking down and bobbing his head. Y/n was laughing too.