Neverland

Neverland is a place for the lost to go and feel like they belong. You know the story, Peter Pan, Wendy Darling, Captain Hook, Tinkerbelle. It's simply a beautiful fairy tale of being found. Well, let me tell you something: they're all wrong. All the fairy tales you hear, the stories you read, it's all fake. Many wish upon a star that the marvelous Peter Pan would come flying through their window and take them away.

Don't.

Peter Pan is not the glorious hero you think he is. Captain Hook is not the villain you think he is. Tinkerbell is not the innocent creature you think she is. It's just all wrong. Peter Pan is a ruthless demon, Captain Hook is almost nice and has a personality, Tinkerbell is a fighter, and Wendy, well... shes barely a part of this story.

I have been on Neverland for a while. Who knows how long, time doesn't pass here. I could have been here for months or even a year. All I know is that I have tried to escape, but there is just no way. Peter Pan makes sure of it.

Well, if I'm gonna tell you my story, it might as well start from the beginning. It starts at my house. I don't consider it my home. I've never felt like I belong there. I grew up with a bunch of older siblings. They all excelled in everything they did, so my parents had very high standards for me.

Of course, though, being the youngest, my siblings had done it all. Nothing I did amounted to the things they had done. I got all A's on my report card? Yeah well, my sister graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA every year. Won an award? Yeah, my brothers won 20. Got an A on a test? Yeah well, my sister would have gotten an A+.

Nothing I did amounted to their accomplishments. Whenever I was proud of myself, one of them could have done better, therefore I didn't try hard enough or was slacking.

Once they all moved out and headed for college or to their families as I headed into my junior year of high school, I was expected to be great, but I could never live up to them. I was berated and disappointing.

I also wasn't into sports like the rest of my siblings. I wanted to do choir and join the drama club while my parents wanted me to do soccer. Taking my own route led them to think that I would never be good at anything. They never came to any of my performances or shows.

I felt like I could never do anything right and I was done with it all. I was so desperate at this point that I believed that Peter Pan from the movies could take me away to where I would feel like I belonged.

I stood at my windowsill and said: "I believe." At first, nothing happened. I was a little disappointed, but I didn't know why I got my hopes up in the first place. I seriously thought Peter pan would show up? I sat on the edge of my windowsill planning on how I could get away.

Running away was always an option. But I would have nowhere to go and no way to get money, as I didn't have a job. I was only a junior in high school. Maybe I could just wait it out and leave as soon as I turn 18, although, that wouldn't be till sometime my senior year.

At that moment, it seemed as though the wind had picked up. I looked up to see a shadow flying towards me. In a panic, I tried to scramble my way back inside without falling however many feet below me where the streets lie, but the shadow got to me before I could manage the task.

It seemed as in seconds we were going higher and higher, the ground beneath me growing smaller and smaller. I clung to the shadow for dear life, not wanting to fall, which would have certainly been fatal.

Peering down below me, I could see the ground fading from view until it was gone. At that moment, I had gone out. My vision went black and I was instantly asleep.

When I woke up, I was on the beach... or a beach. One I certainly didn't recognize. I looked behind me to see a bunch of boys standing there, looking all tattered and dirty like they'd been outside for weeks without a bath.