Chapter 45

Luna's POV:

At the sound of my phones buzz, I'm startled awake and I sit up, reaching for it and hit answer before I have a chance to see who's calling.

"Hello?"

"Luna, it's Officer Daniels. There has been a situation, Killen is being taken to hospital, he's in a bad way."

Those words shake me awake, and I feel the panic set in "In a bad way? What the hell do you mean? What happened?" I question as I turn the lamp on and stand from the bed heading for the walk in wardrobe.

"I don't know how it happened but I found him in his cell, he's been beaten and he was coughing up blood, the ambulance is taking him now, he's being taken to the local hospital."

"Coughing up blood?" I freeze.

"They don't know if he's going to make it Luna, I'm so sorry." He says before the line goes dead.

Hurriedly I change, and run down the hall to Bella and Jex's room. I knock loudly on the door, and after a second Jex opens it, dressed in only his boxer shorts.

"Luna, what's wrong?"

"Killen's been beaten, they don't know if he's going to make it, we need to get to the hospital now." I tell him as I begin to sob.

***

"My name is Luna, I'm here to see Killen Shelby, I was told I was allowed to come." I speak quickly to the woman sitting behind the desk of the hospital.

"Yes, we've been expecting you, please follow me." She says as she stands from the chair and makes her way down the hall.

Following her, I stop when she does, and she turns looking at me, her hand on the door handle. "Just keep in mind the nurses are still in here right now cleaning up the blood, it might be a bit hard to see him as he is."

"I just need to see him."

Pushing the door open, she holds it open for me and I make my way inside. The first thing I see is Killen laying on the bed in only his pants. All over his chest are wires that are hooked up to machines, his eyes are closed, his body and face badly beaten and bruised already.

On either side of him are nurses who are cleaning him off as best they can, and looking for further injuries.

"Luna." I hear guard Daniels speak, and I look across to see him sitting in the corner on a chair.

"What the hell happened? I was paying you to protect him."

"And I was, I was Luna, I was on my dinner break and I came back to find him like that, we've been trying to get camera footage of how it happened but someone turned the cameras off."

"So it was another officer or guard? Is that what your telling me?"

"At this point I don't know, but I am looking into it, you have to believe I had nothing to do with it."

"Well I'm here now, so you can leave and find out who did this to him."

"I can't leave, he's still a prisoner, he's meant to be hand cuffed to the bed."

"I don't think he's going to move too fast do you?" I spit angerly "Get out, stand outside the door, I don't care, but get out of my face."

"Luna I really-"