Faces and Books

We were back in America's car. After the dinner, we chatted a bit with America about trivial matters such as professors we didn't like, and soon enough it was darkening and he offered to drive us back to campus. We agreed and he told his parents that he'd come with us. Waiting for him to collect his stuff was horrible, since the chill bit through my clothes, but at least I fared better than Germany. He was lightly running around the car, which reminded me of a funny thing my father used to do. He noticed me quietly laughing at him.

"What....is....Oof....so funny..." He gasped while running.

"You know, my father used to run like that in the cold when he drank. As his own punishment." I laughed. "He would run and keep repeating: надо меньше пить, надо меньше пить. And exactly like that." 

Germany suppressed a grin with effort. "But I'm cold!"

"Wear warm clothes," I suggested, wrapping my scarf around my neck tighter. He came up and tugged my jacket off, wrapping it around himself. "Hey!" I protested. Underneath, I had next to nothing, a light long sleeve.

"I'm cold," he mumbled again. "And you seem okay anyway." The wind decided to pick up, spraying a light flurry of snow on me. 

"Germany!" I yelled in frustration. He wrapped the jacket around himself tighter, but pressed against my side.

"I'm keeping you warm this way." He smiled under the hood.

"Excuse me, but I'm feeling no warmth whatsoever."

He hugged my waist. "How about now?"

"No. Germany, please can I have my jacket back?" I pleaded. 

"America's here," he pointed out. The door creaked and America came out, hauling a large box of stuff with him. He smirked at both of us and I huffed angrily.

"Ready?" He unlocked his car and went in.

"Can you turn the heat up?" I asked, climbing into the car. "I'm freezing."

"Aren't you Russian?" America said in an annoying tone. "Don't you like the cold?"

"I don't. Just because I'm Russian, doesn't mean I have to like cold." I argued. "And liking and withstanding are two different things."

"Okay, okay Mr. Professor." America smiled. "Have you thought of a career in teaching?"

"No. But I have switched my major."

"To what?" He said, a little interested. He was turning though a bunch of radio stations, not waiting more than five seconds before switching them.

"Seriously? It seems radical to me, but you'll scoff."

"Naw, I won't...please?" He begged. "I'll turn the heat up." 

"What an offer." I said dryly. "I'm thinking of nautical or naval engineering instead of pure mechanical." I heard his sigh soon after.

"Oh Russ," he shook his head. "Really? But whatever, I guess. Good for you."

"Will the heat come on now?" I asked. "Somebody stole my coat." Germany involuntarily giggled.

He nodded and turned the knob."Yes, yes," Soon, I could feel my fingers. Yay. Everything was fine till the point where America decided to turn on an American pop radio station and sing to it.

---------------------------------

One hour later, after being stuck in traffic, America finished singing. "Do you guys want another one?"

"NO." I said immediately. He laughed at my response.

"I'd rather not." Germany announced diplomatically. We were almost at the campus, and the ride took twice as long because of the evening traffic, which meant even more bad singing from America.