Rainy Day Spelunking

I think Germany and Russia should just announce that they're boyfriends now. I mean, seriously. Firstly, I'm tired of retaining their enigmatic skeleton in the closet. It's not like nobody notices or anything. Even my slow and polite dad has been noting things, dropping hints and implicitly asking me complicated questions. At least mom doesn't do that. She already knew from the start.

It was one of those boring weekends where you're stuck inside with your family while the rain patters on your roof and all you want to do is sleep, but you drank six cups of coffee and your older brother forces you to play his favourite board game. Yay for checkers. I lost for the seventh time to Canada, who was keeping score. He drew a sloppy picture of my face and his maple leaf on a sheet of paper, and kept count.

"I win again!" He announced.

"Yay for you," I said sarcastically.

"Hey, where are you going?" He asked me as I stood up.

"I'm hungry," I responded without turning around. Rummaging through the refrigerator was useless. Australia left his half eaten apple in there, then the bugs found out. By bugs, I mean cockroaches. I was never opening the fridge ever again. At least those pesky things didn't go into my room. My good ol' friend, DDT insecticide spray works like magic. I hosed down my whole room, and no vile bug will ever go there. The only person who's more disturbed by them is my dad. Last time he saw one, he threw a chair at it. Then he asked mom if we should fumigate the house or not. Used to these sorts of quirks, mom quickly established that we weren't going to fumigate the house. We would just call an exterminator. I guess I am my dad's son, because both of us don't trust the work done by the guy. Whatever. At least most of them are out. Today I was left alone with Canada and New Zealand while the rest of my family was out, trying to find another school for Australia. I grabbed a package of toffee cookies from the counter, and went back to the living room. I knew my parents didn't like when I ate outside the kitchen, but they weren't here--so I could just do whatever I wanted. Little New Zealand came down the stairs, yawning intermittently, asked when our parents would get home. Not for another seven hours, I was told. He ate half of my cookies and left to go sleep. I was beyond bored.

"Do you want to play another round?"

"No." I said with my mouth full. He took off his flannel shirt, left in only a black no sleeve. After seeing that I was not going to engage in more checkers playing, he crawled into the couch and dozed off himself. I was left alone, consciously speaking, with my almost empty box of cookies. It didn't take me long to polish them off, or go scrounging around for more food. Too bad that we didn't have school today. My dad was roped into the whole 'we're a family' thing that my mom came up with to expel her boredom. Now I was stuck with my family on the weekends. Canada was dragged off of his work as well. I didn't understand why I had to be at home if I was already an adult. For three years now! I was going to turn twenty one in a few months! And I'm still treated like a child. I crept into the kitchen, already set to climb up to one of the top shelves, when my phone set off. Oh great. Japan. "Hello?"

"Hi America!" She said cheerfully.

"What's up?" I wasn't really in the mood for talking. I was in the mood for eating.

"I wanted to ask if you were interested in going over the project for physics together," oh, yes. The project. Ugh. Japan specifically asked for me as partner for our end of semester assignment. Instead of a final exam, our professor assigned us a project of our choice. It was supposed to be a creative and fun thing, but honestly, I'm kind of lazy when it comes to that. Many of my projects cut corners when it comes to quantitative analysis. I just can't do work. I didn't tell Japan that, either. Well, she's learning the hard way.