Home

Finally, the last bell of the class rung. Everyone was in a tense silence minutes before, waiting, straining to be let free. I was one of them. My last boring class of biology with our professor who liked to talk was a long stretch and I was yawning every five minutes. Dissecting rabbit liver was hardly exciting, but my lab partner loved it. She kept making useless notes and oohing whenever we dug deeper in the disgusting pile of meat. I on the other hand, hated the blood clotting on the blue gloves and the horrible smell of bile that issued from every single group's 'project'. When professor Spain announced that we could leave, I stripped off the now purple gloves, washed my hands in the icy water and left without waiting or saying goodbye. As the bells rung outside with their monotonous clang, students poured out of their classes and out through the gates or to their dormitories. I already wished America a happy New year, since he didn't have to travel and he said he'd try. Trying is progress. When I came into our college, it was still quiet, with a large amount of people coming in and out.

"Hey Russ," I was greeted by Iceland, all ready to go. He looked like he was going backpacking across the world.

"Hello,"

"Can't believe that half of the year is just...gone."

"I can," I chuckled. "The next half will be worse, don't worry. And infinitely slower."

"Maybe."

"So...have a good holiday, I guess?"

"You guess?" He said in a mock scandalized tone.

"I hope," I corrected myself. "I hope you have a good holiday."

"Thank you. Have a great break." We shook hands and went our separate ways. Him to the station outside of the campus and I to collect my things and meet Germany. It was easy to figure out what to bring and what not to. The only things I needed were headphones, a pillow, my phone, some food and two books. I took some kind of foodstuff for my younger brother, who might want a souvenir from Mr. UK's island. I left Lermontov's book in the dorm. I didn't want father to see how curious, rebellious and independent I had become. He told me not to read it after all, because I was too young, too inexperienced. Now I know why.

"Goodbye room...for now." I said aloud, and closed the door. As soon as I did, I heard my phone vibrate. Ah, Germany. "Hello?"

"Hi Russia, um, where are you?" The background noise was deafening and his voice sounded muffled and scared. He was probably already at the station.

"I'm coming. I'm still on campus."

"Do you have tickets?"

"Yes," I had purchased two third class tickets the day before. I couldn't believe the cost when I calculated the amount in rubles.

"Okay. I'm on platform fourteen. The train stops here." His voice was suddenly tense and worried. "Please hurry. I don't want to be late. There are so many people here."

"Relax. The more you worry, the worse it becomes. I'll be there soon." I soothed. "Bye."

"Bye." I hung up on him first and went down into the almost empty campus. On the way I saw Luxembourg talking with a strange looking foreign man with white robes. Luxembourg recognised me and waved, and not wanting to engage in conversation, I waved back and dashed out through the gates. To my surprise, little snowflakes started to fall and soon the wind created a beautiful and disastrous storm. I hoped that the trains wouldn't be stopped. When I came to the fourteenth platform, I found Germany sitting on a bench, covered with snow. He had a tote bag with him that he tried to unsuccessfully shield from the gale.

"Hello!" He exclaimed when he saw me. He dusted off a spot next to him for me to sit down.

"Hi," I hugged him. I considered it normal to hug him now, and I liked it even. "How do you like the weather?"