Warmth

I was standing outside with America, waiting for Germany and Japan to get to the main gates. I wore my thicker jacket this time, a navy blue old coat with white wool and a grey fur trim. America was listening to some blues on his phone, proudly broadcasting it for all to hear and he, as usual, was not dressed for the weather.

"I'm kind of cold." America announced. He sang along with the verses, chanting lyrics about sadness and hope. Typical America and his old music.

"No duh. You're dressed for the beach." I replied.

"I thought you guys would move faster," he whined. "After all, who wouldn't run if I offered free stuff?"

"I did. Free is my favourite word." I smirked.

"We know. You like free things." He kept looking back and forth, awaiting for the rest of our group. "Where are they...oh, I see Germany." He waved to the approaching figure and turned off his next song that was just beginning. To me, all blues sounded the same, blue and depressing.

"Hi," Germany said as he came. He was wearing a pair of round glasses with gold frames this time, and a black coat with his name stitched on in contrasting white letters. "Sorry for being late. I wanted to change."

"You're not the last person." America shivered. "Oh my god, Japan. How can she be so slow?"

"Should I message her?" I took out my phone.

"Yeah. Tell her we're going. America is turning into an icicle." He signalled for us to follow him. After a few minutes, she responded flooding the chat with sad faces.

"She said she can't. Something private," I gave my phone for America to read.

"Why didn't she tell us before?" He sighed, exasperated. "She told us that she'd go!"

"It's Japan. It's like throwing a coin." Germany smiled. We turned a corner through the city to a section I haven't seen before. There were less people, and the shops and boutiques looked miniature, intimate and too expensive. Definitely not my type of shopping and dining area. Germany was also looking around, craning his neck and rounding his eyes at each shop we passed.

"Hey Germany? Can I ask a question?" America asked in front of us.

"Go ahead."

"What was the deal with you running from Japan before?" He turned to him when we reached a crosswalk. Germany looked uncomfortable and started to fidget with the straps on his sleeves. I wanted to cover for him, but I knew this time, he would have to stand for himself.

"Ah," he sighed. "Well, if you really want to know....I kind of well. Okay, I'll start from the beginning."

"Good idea." America nodded.

"So. Yesterday, Russia was talking about his German class and who was the teacher. Two plus two, I found that this guy is my grandfather. I was pretty excited and nervous the whole night and the morning of today, so that's why I looked so happy in English."

"Oh, I thought it was because you were happy to learn some stuff." I joked. He smiled and then continued.

"I decided to meet him after my Biology class. Professor España also taught Spanish, so he showed me where to go. I was actually a bit scared to meet my grandfather, since it's been so long, but when I did....everything was okay at first. He wasn't mean or angry. He was very nice to me and was very happy to see me. But when things started to get down to...well, my dad...I figured out that he didn't exactly know what's going on in the modern world. He spoke so...unattached and told me to get over death and that it was all so light and fluffy. I'll bet it is when you're in the Himalayas with your brother, tending to yaks and cacti. He just didn't understand that after war...there are hardships and horrors that he's never witnessed. And his attitude and outlook really upset me. He doesn't understand my pain or what I went through. After all, you can't just 'shake off' a war. I didn't want to be asked about it too soon, so I kind of snapped at Japan. It probably surprised her. So yeah."