The first day gone awry

"Guten Morgen, Deutschland." I heard a whisper. For a second I thought it was my father, but then I thought my father couldn't have such a thick accent. A soft prod in my side made me open my eyes half way and the half light filtered in the room. Instead, Finland's was in my view, smiling.

"Hey," he said again. "I learned that phrase from my friend. Did you like it?"

"Yeah," I replied. "Did I miss anything?"

"No." He opened the blackout curtains so the light came through. The weather outside was as usual. Grey, with drizzle banging lightly on the glass pane. "I'm going to get breakfast. Do you want to come?"

"I will." He nodded and went outside, probably to light his e-cigarette. I sighed and went to change clothes, made the bed rather roughly, and washed my face. I left my glasses where they were the night before. The cold water woke me up completely and when I manages to dry my face and put my glasses on, Finland was waiting near the door.

"Impressing someone?" He eyed my clothing choice.

"No, I always dress like this."

"Dressing for success?" He opened the door and then locked it back. "Not that I do." We left Oak College and turned the sort of familiar route that we took in the evening. The Hall came into view and Finland broke into a run. Even though we kept a fast pace, we still were more wet than dry when we came into the warm hall. I didn't eat much, since the midday meal was the biggest, but the person who sat next to me was eating lavishly. Finland was eying the person with uncertainty. I guess he recognised him, since the latter definitely did.

"Hey!" The person's voice resonated so loudly that I had the urge to clap my hands over my ear canals. "Finn! What's up?"

"Hello America." Finland said coolly. "Nothing is up. I am fine."

"Always a basket of joy!" I got the feeling that America spoke in exclamation marks. He wore sunglasses that perched on his head but his eyes were sort of naive looking. Judging what I've heard about him, he was far from it. He was certainly a rebel figure with his black t-shirt, ripped denim jeans and flat bottomed sneakers. I remembered USSR had a particular distaste for the "meddling teenager" who liked fast food, baseball and speaking for freedom. He had some rights to my land and used them quite often. "And who are you?" He asked me suddenly.

"Germany..." I trailed off quietly.

"Germa what?" He asked again. "Speak louder!"

"Germany." I finally managed. Wasn't this guy one of my guardians? Shouldn't he know my name?

"Well hello Germany!" He shook my hand enthusiastically. "I would say how are you, but I don't want to repeat my question ten times in a row."

"Really America?" Another voice spoke up. "Not everyone is outgoing like you."

"Or has two mouths and one ear." Said another.

"Hello y'all." America bounced off the insult and returned a smile. "My favourite Korea brothers."

"You excited?" South Korea sat down opposite to me and waved. "Hi Germany."

"You know him?" America said incredulously.

"Yeah, we met at the introduction ceremony." South explained to him. "Italy is behind you." I felt like somebody was choking me, but it was actually someone hugging my neck uncomfortably.

"South! I was going to surprise him." Italy was mock offended. "Hi Germany!"

"Hi." I said.

"Germany, if you didn't get a formal introduction, this is America, my loud, obnoxious, a bit stupid, but loyal, unbridled, enthusiastic and great friend."