Grandfather and the Clock

If tension was gold, I'd be rich. The heavy knocking on the door cut though the thick atmosphere that we were all in. USSR went to open it, but his hand hovered on the door handle, shaking and doubting. After another rather angry knock, he sighed and opened it. And there he was. Russia's grandfather. The first thing that leaped out at me was his face. Russian Empire was a bit shorter than his son, but his his posture, facial expression and crown all gave away his total authority over the family. One of his eyes was obscured by a black eyepatch with an eagle on it, the other was a weird dark purple. I figured out where Russia got his strange eye colour now. His clothing looked very expensive and fitted a monarch. The pure gold epalettes on his shoulders were only one piece of rare metal or gemstone on his clothing. The collar of his uniform was open and I could see his exposed neck. I wish I hadn't. Right in the middle, where the neck meets chest was a large amethyst set into his white skin. The thought even made me sick. He carried with him a cane and a relatively simple suitcase stood next to him on the snowy doorstep. His clothing was intricate but not suitable for such extreme weather. Nobody spoke until he did.

"Что стоишь? На, положи наверх." He looked at his son with disdain. "Хватит на меня смотреть, уходи." He hissed and USSR left to go upstairs with Russian Empire's case, cursing under his breath. The older man clicked his tongue in a disapproving manner and turned to us. I felt myself go rigid when his eyes swept over me.

"Who are you?" He asked in a very bad Russian accent. I thought USSR had a bad one. Russia jumped to my defensive as soon as his grandfather spoke.

"That's Germany," he blurted out. "He's adopted."

Russian Empire looked very sceptical, but didn't press further. "Ah, I see. Very nice. USSR figured that he can't have more children, so he should adopt the whole world." He looked me up and down like a rotten pear and the sighed dramatically. "Ah well, you can't change your father's strange ways, now can you?" Next to me, Russia clenched his fist tightly and all of the muscles on his jaw were visible. He was trying hard not to speak. Fortunately, he switched the subject when he saw his favourite little grandchild. "Kazakhstan! My little baby!" Kazakhstan smiled and jumped into his grandfather's arms.

"Hi grandpa!" He said back, wrapping his wings around the other.

"Did your wings get bigger?"

"Yeah! I'm big now, just like papa!"

"Yes, yes." Russian Empire smiled a very transparent smile. He seemed like a theatrical man, with many masks to wear for every occasion. He put Kazakhstan down and chatted with Ukraine and Belarus for a little while before turning to Russia and me. During that time, I looked up to see USSR looking down from the mezzanine, strategically out of view. His green eyes were full of boiling anger, humiliation and hurt. When our gazes locked, he shook his head quickly and backed up against the wall silently. I took it for a sign to keep quiet.

"Grandpa, this is Germany. He's in my year at college." Russia broke through my thoughts.

"Well, you are independent now, yes?" Russian Empire asked his grandson.

"Sort of. We live on Mr. UK's island."

"Ah, Britain is a good man. Sometimes sour, but okay in general." Honestly, he was describing himself. "And you, boy, I thought I've heard your name before. Are you related to German Empire?"

"Yes, sir." I instantly remembered what Russia told me about titles and braced myself for whole impact.

"Not sir. Tsar." His eyes darkened, but his smile still remained. "I'll forgive your ignorance this time around."

"Yes...Tsar."

"Good. Perfect. I wish everyone was as obedient." He clapped his hands lightly. Ever single word sounded like a compliment and an insult at the same time. But I didnt want to point it out. "You're his grandson, maybe?"