When the Hourglass Spins

I didn't expect to be rammed by Japan today. It was, to say, a boring day. I breezed through Spanish class with out even noticing the time. We were reading an abridged version of Don Quixote, and it was quite an entertaining book; I prided myself in reading it in the original language. All in all, I was pleased, since I didn't have to talk to people, everyone was quiet, and I was able to focus on my work. It was the sort of class where Professor Spain taught mostly in Spanish, which he probably enjoyed, and would talk faster than he could in English. Sometimes even the native speakers would look at him quizzically. After the class had ended, he motioned me over and asked me to tell people around that an ice rink was opening up soon near campus and I should alert students who are interested in making a hockey or figure skating teams. I didn't know anyone except Russia or Finland who would take the bait on it, but I promised I'd try. After we were let out of the last classes of the day, I decided that I would do homework. Heh, too bad they didn't assign me any. Again, it was one of those days that I needed to do something or else it would seem I was procrastinating. Then I would feel guilty and make myself a project to do. Maybe I should just go walk somewhere. Yes, a walk would do good. I put down all of my things into my dorm room, where Finland was busy using his e-cigarette, and I went out along one of the paths leading to the peaceful grove near the arts centre. I was surprised by the warmth of the weather, since it was February. I thought it would be cold and awful in general, but I guessed it had to do something with the shoreline marine climate zone. After all, I lived in a continental area for most of my life, so we had more extreme heat waves and cold, bitter frosts. The small grove of trees in which not many liked to sit was a recent discovery of mine. The patch of the strange twisted trees was behind a building, strategically placed out of view. With the sun in the west, the building elicited a shadow away from the grove, making the mass of trees sunny and warm. Feeling a bit adventurous, I slowly made my way up to one of the topmost tree branches that was thick enough to support me. I could see much of the going on around the non obstructed area. Most of the trees still had their leaves, which made them even stranger. The leaves took on a waxy appearance, as if they were made of plastic. They were all green, yellow, and some were orange. Most of them were spear shaped and gleamed in the sunlight. Initially after dozing off and almost being blown off by an unexpected gust of wind, I climbed, or dropped in my case, down to the peaty ground below. It was still moist and springy, like after dew. That's enough tree scaling for me today. I thought of what I was going to do while I walked back down to the main circle of the campus, when someone hammered into me as if they were in a hurry and didn't look where they were going.

"Ah, sorry!" It was Japan in her fluffy sweater and bow shaped earrings. What a surprise. "Oh, hi Germany!"

"Hello," I muttered, as Japan picked my glasses off the concrete and handing them gingerly to me. Oh, good. They weren't broken.

"Where are you going?" She asked as I adjusted them on my face once more.

"I don't know. I was just wandering around."

"If you have nothing to do, you can go to the Auditorium," she suggested. "Russia is there."

"Doing what?"

"Theatre stuff." She answered in short. "He's in Professor France's production of the Queen of Spades."

"Oh," I remembered. "Yes. Maybe I'll come."

She pointed in the general direction. "Over there." She started to leave.

"Oh, Japan!" I remembered about what Professor Spain asked. The announcement. But without further speaking, she bounced off, looking happy and light. Whatever had happened, she seemed overjoyed about it. Whatever, I'll tell her later. Picking up my lazy pace, I walked towards the large stadium like building which housed not only the auditorium but the second largest organ in the world. The first was also on campus. You could see the pipes snaking around and out. The doors were guarded by an overhang of carved leaves and birds and a sword with ivy wrapped around it was the door handle. You had to take the hilt to open it. With some effort, I entered the darkened hall and the heavy door closed behind me with a loud bang. Apart from a few mutters and murmurs from the professors in their classrooms, and the steady hum of someone playing the large organ, there was no sound. I walked on, consciously trying to make no noise, but my heels would click slightly on the hard flooring. The last room at the end of the hall was the auditorium. Trying to not attract much attention I slipped inside to find the dark and huge theatre to be broadcasting the making of a play. Professor France was running the whole thing smoothly, telling where everyone should go, choreographing and placing people on their spots, giving sticks and other miscellaneous items as props where needed. I sat down near the back to watch the unfolding. Sometimes it was prosaic and repetitive, other times gripping. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Russia along with an older girl and a man sitting near the stage. All three looked exceedingly bored, the girl flipping through her script, the man fanning himself with a homemade paper fan and Russia was absentmindedly whistling.