Live, Love, Learn

Things had become regular around the house as the new year came closer. Even though father and grandpa were acting very strange around each other, it was much welcomed as opposed to them throwing artichokes at each other...like last year. We made a little path to and from the forest by walking down it every day. I mostly did it to get out of the house and Germany accompanied me most of the time. I've decided that I trust him with my fears and we would constantly share them with each other. Some snow would fall and the clouds remained ever present in the sky. The low air pressure made us all sleepy, even in the morning. Father would regularly go to sleep in the middle of the day. I showed Germany our chickens and told him all their names. He liked our silkie chickens the most.

"They look like alpacas," he giggled as one chirped.

"They've been called a lot of things," I mused. "But never alpacas."

"Aren't they all cold?"

"They have feathers. Except our silkies, which have now a permanent home in Kazakhstan's room. We just let them out to walk for a little bit." I took one and pet it. "Aren't you special?" I cooed to it. It peeped happily in response, nuzzling me.

"You don't have a dog?"

"No. We used to. But then father gave it away...chickens are much better though. They're birds, but don't fly. They don't require much maintenance and they're cheap. On top of that, they bring eggs! If you play with them a lot they can snuggle with you as well."

"Wow," Germany picked up the other chicken we named Masha and we let them back in the house, into their box in Kazakhstan's room. The afternoon was when things came to a standstill in our household. Father was sleeping on the living room couch, Belarus was taking a bath upstairs, Ukraine was playing with his cat and grandfather was reading the newspaper, occasionally writing down his opinion in the margins. Me and Germany sat down at the kitchen table and I started to teach him a card game. In a round he won.

"Yay," he said, placing down the winning card. I groaned and placed my own cards on the table. Behind the newspaper, grandfather let out a small laugh. He lowered the paper and started to write down his commentary on the paper. He's been nicer lately, but still looks at me and Germany with this knowing look. So does father. Ukraine also kept smirking when me and Germany ever were together, it didn't matter what we did. It sort of ruffled me, but I tried not to pay attention. A loud thump signified that father had fallen off the couch and was going to wake in a few seconds.

"Three...two...one," I counted off before I heard the swear out of my father's mouth.

"USSR, stop swearing in front of children," grandfather chided.

"They've heard all of them at school," father came in and poured himself a glass of water. "I'm sure the know worse words." He looked at me with a glint of laughter in his eyes.

"Never," I lied unconvincingly. Germany shook his head and sighed in an animated matter.

"Ah, Russia." Father looked outside. "Like I haven't heard you talk with your friends. Any way, can you take Kazakhstan outside? He really wants to, and he needs to be supervised."

"Of course," I stood up and took Germany with me. It wasn't like I was going to stay outside alone. That would be boring. "Kazakhstan! Let's go outside!"

"YAY!" Out of nowhere, he flew down and hugged me warmly before going upstairs again and getting his stuff. I helped him put on his coat and boots and then he waddled outside, falling into the snow with a delighted squeal. Me and Germany took our own things and steeped outside, watching Kazakhstan start to build a wall out of snow.

"Your family isn't bad," Germany said out of the blue. "I mean, you keep apologising for them, but I think they're great. Maybe you'll have a fight or a bad experience, but you stay together. I wish I had siblings. And a father that doesn't coddle you around." He smiled when Kazakhstan threw a snowball and it landed about ten centimetres away from us.