Journey

"So." Estonia was in a deep virtual conversation with his friend in his phone. "Russia, I want you to, please, be ready to leave, and I also want to ask you a question."

"I'm all ears." The fact that we didn't have the physical representation of an ear vexed me, because that expression was used very often by U.K. during debates.

"Do you have..." Estonia was only partially talking to me. "Oh, do you have....book preferences?"

"Well," I thought about the question for a moment. The book I usually read were either manuals or father's books, but all others were school requirement reading. I wouldn't read anything that people shoved in my face, and I was extremely picky with book choice. "Yes. I do."

"What kind?" He looked up at me for a split second. "I mean, genre."

"Of book?" I was starting to get annoyed with his cut off sentences.

"Yes. Don't make that face. You look like a carbon copy of father when you do that."

"If it's not a manual, then historical, maybe realistic fiction, maybe classical drama..." I trailed off. There were many unknowns in the equation. I really preferred to browse in a bookstore rather than have someone look for a book for me. "Why are you asking?"

"Russia, just asking. Finland wants to get you a gift. His type of gift is a book."

"You could have told me then." I replied. "Historical or something linked to it."

"Great." He resumed to type on the small screen of his phone. "You can do whatever. I don't mind." I didn't feel like replying and it seemed that his attention was already swallowed up by the phone. I quietly crept through the apartment to not disturb the quiet and peace. He had a four room flat, which was very surprising, since I had never heard of so many rooms in an apartment unless it was a very rich man or woman. Estonia loved the colour blue, in all different hues and shades, and the last room that I went in was dark, because of the curtains that were drawn. The heavy navy blue curtains blocked out all of the light, and only when I opened them did I see what was around me. The room was designed in a very unique way, with one whole array of books on one side of the room, and a spot in the middle, where a bed occupied the space. On the other side there was a large painting of a serene snowy landscape with bare birch trees. A work desk made of pale wood and may strange cubic drawers stood below it. On the desk was a mess of papers, a photo of Estonia, him and father, the family, and another one of him with Finland. There was also a silver laptop with a sticker of Estonia's flag on where the logo should have been. Only then did I come to realise that maybe it was Estonia's own design of computer, since father mentioned that Estonia was a programmer and he was studying in the Information technology field. I guessed that this room was his bedroom, but the room was cold and unwelcome in a sense, so it seemed like he hadn't slept here in a while.

"Russia!" I heard Estonia's voice cut in. He was not a master at yelling. It sounded as if he was trying to raise his voice above regular

"Yes?" I yelled back.

"Come here. I need to ask something. Again."

"Coming." I quickly rushed out of the room, shutting the light out with the curtains. Estonia was talking on the phone with who I assumed was Finland.

"Hey," he waved me over, and handed me the phone.

"Hello." Finland's voice sounded through the speaker. His voice was lower than I expected and remembered. His physique and face did not match his voice, but maybe it was just the speaker, as well as his environment was muffled and loud. "I just wanted to say hello. And congratulations on your, well, acceptance."