Philosophy and Serendipity

"Don't tell me you're taking them seriously," Finland and I were sitting outside in the courtyard on a breezy Saturday afternoon. Estonia was watching a video of China's silkie chickens, and was cooing repeatedly at the screen. I got used to him milling around Finland, and while sometimes he acted a bit childish, he was smart and caring. Today I voiced my problem with Czechia, who would glare and whisper every class, spreading lies and fear throughout the school. And while I understood his own fear and his trauma, he had no right to pin the fault on me. To make things worse, Russia plainly ignored me for the last two engineering classes, even when I asked for help. Japan would shrug apologetically and explained that he was 'in a mood'. I finally gathered the courage to tell Finland the whole story, two weeks later. "Because they are just ignorant."

"Oh Germany." Estonia sighed taking out his earphones. "Social problems arise because of either jealousy, fear or lack of attention. I think this person has all three. Explain to the professor and he might be able to assist this...I forgot his name." Today he was wearing a light grey sweatshirt with the school icon printed on the front. It seemed old and worn, and Estonia had no problem lying on the grass in it.

"Maybe..." I trailed off.

"Does China ever sell his chickens?" Finland asked his friend. "If you like them so much, you could just get one."

"Aren't they just the cutest things?" Estonia motioned to his phone screen. Two balls of buff coloured fluff were moving about on it. They were, if fact, pretty cute. "I can put them on your balcony."

"My balcony?" Finland said, half amused. "The one with the white carpet? Are we talking about the same balcony?" His words made Estonia laugh and he hugged the latter. "Only if you want."

"I'll think about it. We still have school and everything, so the chickens can wait. China has a lot of them anyway." He turned to me and asked if I liked chickens. Since I didn't have an opinion, I just shrugged and said maybe. I had the idea that Finland wasn't a person to get up and do something on a weekend. He was slow but methodical and calm and always looked like he knew what he was doing. Like now, he seemed to do exactly what he wants. Sometimes that was good, sometimes very bad.

"Are we boring you Germany?" Estonia asked, now lying on the ground on his stomach again. "I mean, truthfully. Wouldn't you rather be with your own group?"

"Um..."

"Like, I remember that I thought the fourth years were boring, almost graduate students. Our group was a bunch or dreamy and excited people. Some of them are still our group."

"Let him say something, Est." Finland tapped the top of his head to make him stop. "Go ahead, Germany."

"I don't actually have...that." I admitted.

"What about Iceland and Russia, and that girl...Japan." Estonia asked.

"Japan and Iceland are part of Russia's group," I explained. "They won't be my friends unless Russia is."

"Ah, so Russia is the problem, huh?" Finland's mouth twitched into a frown. "He's not one to be mean without a reason. I met him before the term started."

"Yeah! He's very shy and quiet. He wouldn't just do anything without a reason." Estonia looked up at me. "He's my brother. All my siblings are sort of off in that way. We all have our...issues."

"Do you want us to talk to him?" Finland asked. He stood up from the chair he was sitting in and yawned, looking around the courtyard as if he was searching for something. "Or you're the type to deal with it on your own?"

"I don't know," I said as Estonia picked himself off the ground as well and groaned, since his phone fell out of his hand. "I don't really have the courage to come up to him. On the other hand, he might be mad that you came instead of me..."