Falling

I didn't want Russia to see how unnerved I actually was about this whole situation. I didn't want to worry him. At first, I couldn't hide my shock. Gradually through our conversation, I tried to act as if it was all trivial, and it didn't bother me. After I asked him to come walk with me this evening, and he agreed. Surprisingly. It was around fifteen thirty when I had proof that Russia was correct. There he was, in full colours, walking down the walkway with Mr. UK. Even though he was wearing newer and cleaner clothing, his full height, almost army style march, and glacial stare was out of sorts in the high intellectual circle. He certainly looked out of place next to Mr. UK. I tried to look for an alternate route, but had to face the fact that no alternative would look too suspicious, because all of them led straight into the grass and trees. Hooray for you, Germany. More awkwardness.

"Ah, good afternoon, Germany," Mr. UK obviously wasn't aware of my discomfort. USSR smiled in my direction, but then quickly looked away, his fleeting smile leaving as soon as his eyes did.

I decided to speak, since it would look rude to not answer. "Hello."

Mr. UK didn't get the gist that I wanted to leave. "I have wonderful news to give to you. Mr. Soviet Union is going to now be part of my teaching staff. Isn't that news, eh?"

He probably hoped for more surprise. "Oh, great. But I've heard from Russia already."

"Yes, unfortunately my previous employee had to leave urgently, so my post needed to be filled quickly. Thank goodness for the turn of events!"

"Yes," USSR nodded, though not particularly into the conversation. He was looking around and avoiding my gaze. He looked a bit lost.

Mr. UK grabbed USSR's arm and started to leave. "Well, we must go now. Good talking to you." Without waiting for my good bye, they left. I was so much n a hurry that I skipped up the steps and into my dorm room, slamming the door shut. Finland, who was already there with Estonia and reading a book, looked at me quizzically.

"What happened?" Finland questioned. "Someone chasing you?"

"Are you okay?" Estonia asked, his eyes rounding.

"I'm sure he's alright," Finland went back to his book. "It was only just an inference of mine."

"No, I'm fine." I gasped out. "Just...kind of in an awkward situation."

"Oh, you heard the news?" Estonia flipped back to the page he was on. "I almost dropped down three flights of stairs. Papa is now a professor. Soviet Union, great physicist and military leader, now a teacher at a university. I didn't believe it at first."

Finland smiled."I believed. I'll believe anything after professor Greece came to class two years ago wearing only a-,"

"Anyway," Estonia cut Finland off loudly. "But now I do. Because I saw him outside. Right before I barricaded myself in my dorm. My roommate thought I was on drugs or something."

"Hah! As if," Finland barked out. "What was with you, Germany? Was that it? Or did Estonia cut you off with his news flash?"

"No. I did run into him. But Russia is in his class, and didn't even get a notice."

"Oooh," Estonia grimaced. "That must've been quite the shock." He clutched his book tightly. "You think he's okay?"

"Russia? I'm sure he's fine." Finland shrugged. "Right?"

"Um, yeah. I think." I said. "Last time I checked."

"Hmm," Estonia looked unsure. "Are you sure, Finland?"

Finland pet his head affectionately. "Yes. I am. Just don't get yourself winded because of something that small. I know you like to do that."

"Well, I'll call anyway. Just to make sure."