Surprises and Laziness

I was kind of worried about Russia. I trotted back to the dining hall to collect my things and go to sleep.

"What happened?" Japan asked.

"Nothing. He said he's tired." I answered. I was ready to leave when Iceland stopped me.

"Is he mad at us?"

"A little. Kind of."

"Well, did you tell him we're sorry?"

"Yes, he's not mad at you."

"I'll tell him then." Iceland said decisively. "He's probably overworked. The professors give a lot during this time."

"Boy this guy is dangerous to play with," America put his sunglasses into his bag and put on a light jacket. "I don't ever know when he's happy or sad or faking it."

"As you may have noticed, nobody does," Iceland took out his phone and started to dial a number.

"Who are you calling?" America perked up in his seat, fully alert now.

"Russ."

"Don't."

"Why not?" He put the speaker next to his ear.

"He'll yell at you,"

"No he wo-," Iceland stopped in mid sentence and made a wide smile. I guessed that Russia picked up the receiver. "Hi Russ! Sorry for making you so angry. We really didn't mean it. Oh. Well...well yeah...okay....oh, we understand, definitely....don't worry...yeah, we'll be alright...yeah, no I'll be quiet when I come in...sure...Good night." He ended the call.

"He says he has a headache," he announced.

"Big deal." America yawned.

"Says someone who hasn't had a real one yet." Japan pushed his shoulder.

"Uh huh. He just wants to be anti social. He can do that on break." He nodded slowly.

"It is late," I cut in, looking at the clock on the wall. "So we should get going."

"Yeah, you're right." Japan nodded and started to pack up. "I have a feeling that tomorrow will be a day full of surprises."

"Japan, your soothsayer abilities are not good. Don't even try to predict the future." Iceland sighed.

"Tomorrow, one of us will receive ground-breaking news!" She said mysteriously. I couldn't really take her too seriously. She was a good friend, and a bad future seer, for all her supernatural abilities she claims to have.

"Good night, Japan!" We all said and left her to predict more omens in the night.

---------------------------------

Bzzzzz. Bzzzzzzz. Bzzzz.

"What is that infernal noise?" I asked my groggy self. It was about five thirty in the morning and still dark. Meanwhile my cell phone was going crazy on my desk and even dropped to the floor. Finland was still fast asleep and would be for another thirty minutes. This better not be a telemarketer, I thought to myself. No, it was my foster father.

"Hello?" I said still sleepy. The phone's backlight illuminated our dark room. I could see Finland's face, which contorted with the light irritation. I myself was squinting from the harsh lights. It was still very dark and I crept over to my bed to sit down.

"Germany, are you there?" His voice was very sharp and clear, so much that I had to bring the volume down.

"Yes, it's me."