On Good and Evil

When the November winds were replaced with December snow, it enveloped the land in a deathly silence. The winter brought the earth into a sweet slumber from which only the most desperate awoke, to find food and warmth in the beautiful and silent white world. Russia called it that. He said that 'deathly' was too harsh of a word, and that winter was just the time when the earth goes to sleep, to work the next three quarters of the year. An interesting notion. He could be very smart when he wanted to be. I was currently sitting with him outside, in Pine College, where the trees would provide cover from the winds. It was the evening after the time we ice skated together on the lake behind the campus. Since that time, we've been talking with a less tense air, and I've learned a lot about him, some surprising and some not. He was busily flipping though a book before I flipped my schedule before his face.

"Do you take a culture credit?" He asked when I showed him my timetable for class.

"Yes, philosophy."

"Wait, really?" His eyes darted across the paper quickly until he found it. "I thought that Culture was like language...."

"It is," I agreed. "But it's also Literature, Ideology, Visual Arts and Historical Studies."

"Hmph, that's a new definition then."

"I guess. We also need an arts credit."

He growled in response. "Three, actually."

"Oh, so we actually need...nobody even told me. I got my information from a student."

"I asked U.K. what we have to complete. We need five mathematics credits, Five English, four Culture, three Arts, three science and one 'seminar'."

"What is seminar?"

He shrugged. "Probably a boring course where we have to talk. And these span through our whole four years actually. How about Majoring? I heard those take a certain amount of hours."

"Have you thought of a major?" I already knew his answer before I asked my question.

"Of course! Engineering and Calculus, but I'm going to minor in German Language."

"Minor?"

"Small degree. A major requires more dedication, a minor is just an extra cherry on the plate."

"Don't you mean 'extra cherry on top'?"

"Yes, that. I'm bad at comparing, you know that." He sighed. I stifled a small laugh. The frozen landscape all turned white when December rolled around. And even though the pressure started to come because of the looming midterm exams, they were only in late January. But I still started to rewrite my notes and look them over. Practice makes perfect. "What Arts courses are you taking?"

"I'm going to take Visual Arts next semester. I want to see how I fare."

"Anything else?" He looked out onto the woody area, fiddling with his sleeves. "Because I dropped Orchestra. I hate my violin very much. I'm to be taking Drama starting tomorrow. That will be fun...not."

"Now that you told me that we have to take three..." I groaned. "I have to take Visual Arts, something else and something else."

"Eh, I decided to do Drama, Dance and I requested a piano class. Nobody else wants to do it."

"I don't see you in drama," I joked.

"Better than Painting. I won't get dirty at least."

"I think I'll take painting. Sculpting and I'll figure something else out."

"Suit yourself. Drama and Dance might be stupid, but at least it's stupidity with movement. I've done ballet before."

"You've done?" I said. "Past tense?"