The Theatre, The Heart, and The Banned Book

How strange. I walked away from my German class, confusion in my head. Normally, Slovenia, and Vietnam and I would sit down quietly and get to work. Without small talk. Maybe Slovenia would ask us what we were going to do after classes, but we would answer curtly and politely back, and then focus on our class. This time, I was waiting around till Slovenia and Vietnam would come, and inconsistently giving advice to Herr German Empire if he needed help on his computer. I was doing horribly in English, but that was expected. I never wrote a twenty page essay before. I didn't even know what we were supposed to write about; Mr. UK kept telling me it was about whatever I choose. I didn't understand that concept very well. I've never chosen anything by myself. Not even essay topics. Slovenia came in and said hi, and then quieted down to read her book. Vietnam strolled into the classroom, and before anyone could speak, he turned to me.

"Hey, I need to tell you something," he said. I was mildly surprised at his willingness to talk.

"I'm all ears," I replied passively.

"You know, Japan wanted to say sorry." He told me, quickly.

"For what?" I already knew for what.

"Something involving you. And someone else. She didn't specify. She didn't want you to be too angry when she told you. That's all. Es tut mir Leid, Herr." He apologised to our professor, who seemed not too worried about the interruption and just started the lesson without further ado. Leaving me thinking about what Vietnam said. He didn't look like he actually knew what was going on, and was probably set up by Japan. Typical. I still was a bit stunned by the fact that Japan asked for forgiveness. then again, she did open her mouth when I asked not too. In a way, her actions caused mine. Well, you shouldn't ponder on the past for too long; it's hazardous to do so. I was taught that pondering, regretting, and trusting were the big three dangers. And, I had to say, I didn't have engineering class today. I had Biology. Japan must've forgotten, but whatever. After our fast paced class on spontaneous and informal dialogues and three minute presentations, I left to my next class. Oh, yes. Drama. I went down to find myself the second person there. Poland was also there, openly staring at me without remorse. In his hands was his phone and on the stage which he was sitting was a plastic bottle with iced tea. It was obvious that the bottle was reused over, since it read 'Pepsi®' on it in faded letters and was peeling. He was pretending to look around the huge auditorium and consciously fiddling with his shirt collar and tan loafer laces all while keeping one eye on me. As if I didn't notice. At one time, when it was very obvious to the point that I felt agitated.

I wanted to tell him, 'Hey, why are you avoiding eye contact', what came out was: "Hi," In such a timid and scared tone that it made my own ears curl. Why did I sound so dumb? He looked at me tentatively and responded in the same tone I did.

"Um, hi," he responded, smiling a little.

"Are you in...fourth year?" I asked. I had to mentally slap myself. I must've looked stupid; of course he was in fourth year. He told us already.

"Yeah, it's been...interesting." He said, obviously ignoring the fact that he already mentioned it. "I guess."

"Is it better than every other one?"

"Mmm, no. I liked my third year best. I took courses I was interested in, and other was no final year projects or seminar." He nodded. "Um, but Cedar College..... is, uh, nice...and kind of loud."

"Mm, okay," I shut the conversation down. It was starting to get boring. Soon enough came the rest of our class. Professor France, today in a wide brimmed black hat, wine coloured frilly skirt, and a white blouse with shortened sleeves and a V-neck, came leaping out from backstage. I wondered how she could run around full time in such high heels. As always, she had on pink lipstick and charcoal black mascara, but accompanied this time by purple and deep pink accents around the eyes. She looked around our bored group with excitement.