Am I Surprised?

I would be taking a new class this semester. Actually, many new classes. One was Applied mathematics for engineers. It sounded very interesting, and the professor put out a syllabus. It was very precise and concrete, and very understandable. Much better than most others, and I could follow it. America joked that the professor might be like me. I waved him off. The professor was new to the school, and nobody knew his name. Later in the evening, I printed out the schedule and each of us critiqued each other's choices of classes.

"He's new." America commented as he looked through my timetable. "And by the way he structured his syllabus, strict."

"Well, we all know you're used to loosey-goosey." Germany giggled.

"Where did you ever get that phrase?" America looked at him woefully.

"I don't forget my colloquial terms," was what the other said. "You taught them."

"But this guy 'runs a much tighter ship'." I caught on.

America facepalmed. "I hate when you people watch my movies and then quote them constantly,"

"Well, we're learning English!" Germany and I chimed together. Iceland snorted under the table loudly when we said it. Japan turned pink trying not to laugh. It was the night before the second semester. We bid each other good night, Iceland and I leaving to Pine, America to Cedar, Germany to Oak, and Japan to Redwood.

---------------------------

"Good luck with your classes," Iceland said at breakfast time the next day. He and I were sitting and finishing breakfast. I opted for simple oatmeal and buttered bread. Lavish breakfast like America's made me sick inch stomach. Iceland was eating yogurt and dry meat with chives. We all had mostly new classes except for engineering, drama, dance, and German. All the rest was new. And I didn't have to take any more English. I was relieved.

"You too," I waved to him. We were almost the last people there. It was part of our 'avoiding people' plan.  The alarm on my watch buzzed, telling me I was soon to be late. I quickly packed up, and left for the class. I wondered what we would do. Going down to the mathematical building, where glass made up much of the architecture, I passed down the hall to one of the last classrooms. It was another small class; there was only five students, including me. I sat down on one of the lab style tables and we waited. All of the students were older than me, looking like fourth and third years were there. If I predicted correctly, there were four fourth years and one second year. I think. The professor came in and my jaw dropped. In a simple grey overcoat with a thick black belt, black leather gloves, and old black boots stood a man whom I didn't expect. Papa?

"Good morning!" He smiled, his eyes scanning us.  They widened a little when his gaze travelled over me, but he gave no sign of recognition. His smile was wide and nervous.

"Hi," our class droned. I assumed they didn't care who taught the class. They maintained their bored expressions. The morning classes were always slow.

"So, I hope you have all looked through the syllabus, because that is our official schedule," he wrote on the board with a blue ink marker. He wrote his main points up on the board in rough but loopy cursive, and then turned to us. It seemed like he was getting himself together. "Ahm, why don't you all tell me your names, so that I can...get to know you better?" None of the students really noticed his fumbles, and all stood up one at a time, and answering in a bored voice. I was left last. He turned to me. "And you?" His green eyes bored into me. They looked foreign and strange, like glass from a shattered beer bottle.

I couldn't find my voice. "Uh, my name's Russia. I'm a first year..." I stuttered out.

"Great," he nodded, hooding his eyes. "Now, what we'll be doing..." and that went on for the whole class. I was dumbfounded and confused. What was father doing here? What? Why? And most importantly, how? Also, why did he act like he never saw me before? The whole class passed by very quickly, and before I knew it, the students were all leaving. I didn't even have time to digest all of the information slamming into me. As the students, passed, I could see that they looked much happier and excited than before. Either to them the class was interesting, or they couldn't wait to get out.