Thawing

"No, Russia," Iceland groaned as we prepared for the day. He already was in a bad mood, because he smashed his head against the ceiling or the bottom of my bed when he woke up. After a series of rainstorms and soaking weather, came a hard frost that froze everything over. Not only ponds and lakes, but the walkways and the trails across the campus did too. Even though many students lived on campus, rumour had it that U.K. slipped on the ice, fell, broke his cane and swore at the world before decreeing that classes should be cut short that day. Ingenious! That meant I only get tortured for half the time today. And since everything was frozen....why couldn't we go ice skate a little afterward? I told Iceland this idea and maybe between my annoyingly high pitched tone this morning and his headache, he seemed it a horrible scheme. "I don't want to."

"But you're Ice-land." I countered. "You like ice."

"Rush-a," he snapped back. "You speed into ideas way too fast. No thinking."

"No thinking needed," I said pressing my hands to the cold glass of our balcony. "All I'm saying is, do you want to. I'm still going no matter what."

"And who will go with you?" He narrowly missed another chance to bump his head on the desk. He was busily installing a portable heater. Our room didn't have a good one, since we were the last room on the floor, and heat didn't travel that far from the main heat grid.

"Somebody," I out onto the beautiful frozen landscape. It was brilliant. No snow, all ice. That ensured me smooth ice without little lumps that give me such a hard time.

"Somebody crazy," he moaned.

"Okay, don't go. Just stop moaning."

"Now I have to!" He whined. "Finland just texted me. He said that him and his roommate are going. Ugh, now I'm obliged to go." Ah, but he was smiling. I could see it through the reflection in the glass. I saw through his vice. We usually did this. He would complain about something that he didn't necessarily love, but liked, and would moan about how horrible it was. Time to stop this little trick.

I looked at him with exasperation. "Really, Iceland? Really?" In a few seconds, his fake saddened expression was filled with laughter.

"Did you fall for it?" He asked gleefully.

"A little. Did you actually hit your head, or is that a lie too?"

"No, I actually did." When he said that, I came up and lightly tapped the place where he hit it. The reaction was immediate.

"Ow!" He hissed. "What was that for?"

"To see if you're not lying," I said innocently. "You can't lie to me twice."

"You're no fun, Russ," he shook his head. "Too serious."

"Sorry. I'm always like that." I opened our balcony door a little and the cold wind gutted in. "What classes do you have today?"

"Stupid drama, stupid biology, stupid Spanish language, stupid Algebra and stupid elective course that I don't even like." He listed them all with his favourite prefix word.

"You hate all of those?" I asked. "Really?"

"No, really. I do. Especially biology. I have the same professor two blocks in a row." He said simply. "What's your schedule for today?"

"English, ew. Then German language, then Calculus, then Physics and Engineering." I listed off my timetable for today. "Shortened classes though."

"No. They cut off in the middle of your third class." Iceland corrected. "So you'd only have English, German and half of Calculus."

"That's really dumb. Why do they do that?"

"Who knows, to torture you, I guess!" He laughed. "Anyway, let's get going."