Drama, and why I'm the Teacher's Pet

I walked away from Germany feeling glad that I'm not taking his class. I'm glad that my father told me not to, actually. He said that they might try to push politics into discussions. Poor Germany, though. I didn't imagine that he would be the target for such petty gossip. Shameful, he can't even defend himself. What kind of target is that? An easy target, Russia. Oh, well. At least I helped him with his homework. My classes were uneventful till now. Somebody spilled acid all over their shirt in Chemistry and there was a full debate war in our history class about whether or not we need to genetically reproduce an Archaeopteryx to better balance the modern ecosystem. So, basically, we got nothing done. How assiduous, how useful. My next class will definitely help me become a successful engineer. But I'm coming into the class without bias, since I'm too much in a good mood. The class was in the arts centre, and was in the big auditorium. Lucky for me, most of my classes except for sciences and history were comparatively small. When I came in, a girl was dancing in the stage and some other students were either sitting on the stage or on the floor, on their phones. I counted about six people, including me. Good. Not too many to witness my embarrassing moments. I sat down next to another guy on the stage and looked around. Most of the students were older than me, how does that happen all the time, and looked extremely bored.

"Hello my class!" A female voice in back of me trilled. I almost fell off the stage. The voice belonged to Professor France, who was wearing a black t shirt and a knee length ebony skirt with multicoloured dots on it and pink high heeled shoes and a beret. "How is everyone?"

"Good." The class said more or less enthusiastically.

"Well." I replied. She smiled at my choice of wording.

"Why don't we all introduce ourselves? I'll go first. We'll say our name, our year and what we like about drama, how is that?"

"Sounds good." A student agreed.

"Okay, my name is Professor France, but call me just France, it's easier. I'm your teacher, so yay! And I like drama because I can express emotions and tell a story on stage! Next person?"

A guy stood up in front of us. He was one of the students lying on the ground before, and his eyes looked permanently worried. He smoothed out his tan dress shirt before speaking. "Hi my name is Poland. I'm actually a fourth year. I forgot all about prerequisites. So I thought why not take drama...since it's okay. Better than other courses." He sat back down on the floor, looking flustered. He spoke very fast and had a soprano voice. He seemed to be one of those students who pulled all nighters, got worked up easily and was tired all the time. But Poland. That name rung a bell in my head. Yes, I've heard his name in conversation. Unfortunately, lost in thought, I missed everyone else's presentation till I snapped out and it was my turn.

"Your turn!" France told me.

"Um, my name is Russia. I'm a first year. And I like drama because...truthfully because it's better than Visual Arts and I like to dance."

"Very nice. Thank you all so much for being honest," she nodded in turn to each of us. "And I hope to give you all a class that might make you like drama! So who's ready?" She jumped right into her syllabus without further ado. Her class was all about knowing how drama and theatre worked. As her students, we would be working with the Theatre Club which put on a production each year. And, as her students, we would be expected to have a lead role. Yay. The play better not be something stupid. "As you all know now, we'll be closely cooperating with the Theatre Club, and those kids will just be there because they want to. You, my little ones, will be the 'professionals' I should say. Because we will be working on this play both with and without them." Little ones. Did she just call a group of university students kids? Two of my classmates were going for a Master's degree next year. I never was called Little. Always the eldest son.