The Moor and the Estate of Tea

"So what have you been doing the past two weeks?" Russia fiddled with his jacket zipper while talking with America. I have to admit, he had a nice car. The low cruiser sedan had tan leather seats and an upgraded heat system. I guess he knew what he was doing when he browsed for cars. America was wearing his signature sunglasses, even in the cloudy weather, and a black leather jacket this time. His mother called in the middle of the drive, and America passed the phone to Russia so as to talk to her.

"She says 'dinner is ready', whatever that means." He announced.

"Russ, you don't know what that means?" America raised his eyebrows. "It means food is on the table, and we're late."

"I thought it was a code message or something," Russia sighed. "But you didn't answer my first question."

"So I'll answer now. I've been avoiding family time," he explained as we turned onto a quiet lane. "As you may have found, I like to socialize with friends. I don't like playing chess with my sore loser brother." Most of the houses were separated by large stretches of gated gardens or lawns, and America expertly turned onto a long paved driveway with a large black steel and wood gate. As we drew nearer, I craned my neck to look at the house. It looked kind of like an average ordinary ranch house with two floors. "We're here!" He sung a trill note.

"Yay." Russia got out of the car. I came out as well, and a gust of wind greeted me, sending my glasses askew. Next to us, a large four by four tan truck rolled in, and a heavy set man came out. He was dressed in a red plaid shirt and black jeans which contrasted sharply with his white skin. Even though his hands looked like they could easily wring my neck, his hazel eyes were friendly.

"Hey," he waved to me. All I could do was stare, dumbfounded. I guess I looked disturbed, because he didn't say anything else and went over to America, who was busy locking his car. "Hey America, I'm back."

"Hi Canada," the other the grunted, trying to get his key out of the lock. "Did you have a fun time smoking?"

Canada looked harassed. "For the last time, I don't do drugs! Mind introducing me to these people?" He pointed to Russia, who was standing a bit away with a disapproving look on his face.

"This," America came over to me. "Is Germany. He's the nerdy guy. And this," he strolled over to Russia. "Is no nonsense English learner Russia. They're both in first year at my school."

"I still don't know why dad runs this school." Canada sighed. "And why you're in it."

"Because I'm younger. And luckier than you." America slowly danced over to the door with the grace of a chicken that saw corn.

"Whatever," Canada followed his brother. America led us into the house, and we found ourselves in a large living room with pale beige walls and framed bird sketches along one. A couch stood in front of a huge panoramic window, and another was adjacent. A low coffee table stood between them.

"Hi mom! We're here," America announced our presence. France appeared in a white blouse with a frilly neck and a black pencil skirt. Even though she looked very sophisticated, her face suggested that she was working the whole time. Mr. UK came in his ever present grey suit and top hat and shook both my and Russia's hand.

"I am pleased to have you at our home," Mr. UK looked even shorter compared to Russia and was easily the second shortest person in the room. I was obviously the most vertically challenged in the room.

"Thank you." Russia spoke first. "For inviting us." I nodded in agreement, but said nothing. It would be really morbid to say the exact same thing.

"Come in, come in, you can sit here," France led us to the two couches and produced a bottle of sparkling juice from nowhere. She poured us and her husband glasses, but didn't offer her sons any. Canada snuck upstairs and into his room and America sat awkwardly next to his mother, while Mr. UK positioned himself in a rocking chair opposite of us.