My Fearless Leader | Leonardo...

By TrueLeaderInBlue

"Don't be embarrassed. I like that you can't focus around me." "I am completely capable of focusing around y... More

You Meet (Part 1)
You Meet (Part 2)
Meeting Again
{Open Requests}
Meeting His Brothers
He Plays w Your Hair/Getting to Know Each Other
Going to Murakami's (Part 1)
Going to Murakami's (Part 2)
The Talk (Bonus Chapter)
Movie Night
When He Yells at You
Meeting April and Casey
Moving In (Part 1)
Moving In (Part 2)
City Lights
When He Hurts You (Part 1)
When He Hurts You (Part 2)
When He Hurts You (Part 3)
He's Jealous
You Go to a Party
He Asks You Out
The Date
Japanese Flirting
The Monthly Tide
Insecurities
He "Cooks"
You and the Boys Prank Leo
Protective and Possessive
Mating Season
Staying at April's
You Return to the Lair
Encounters
{A/N: questions for readers}
Surprise
The Second Date
Questions, Confusion, and More Questions
Trapped
Not So Sweet A Torture
Desperate
Extreme Measures
Pain Has Many Faces
Say Goodbye
On the Edge
Bandaids and Bullet Holes
Road to Recovery
Step by Step
Someone To Fall Back On
Movie Night: the Second One
If You'll Leave the Light On - Pt. 2
Days Like These
Back to School - Part 1
Back to School - Part 2
I've Never Been Happier
Seriously, I've Never Been Happier In My Life
Halloween
Barriers
One Step Forward, Two Steps Back
The Still Place
Hold On
Relaxation Day
It's An Intimate Get Together
Two and a Half Dates

If You'll Leave the Light On - Pt. 1

2.8K 74 55
By TrueLeaderInBlue

Song: Light On – Maggie Rogers

"Knock knock!" Mikey nudged his shell up against Master Splinter's door, pushing it open as his hands carried a tray of teetering foods stacking three feet high. He had woken up a little earlier than was usual from the past month, in order to cook up a nice breakfast for the two of them that Raph wouldn't immediately sink his teeth into the moment he woke up.

Yoshi looked up from beside his bed at the balancing turtle, and tucked a box underneath the bed as he came in.

"We totally scored today, Sensei! Ape and Case brought a ton of food yesterday. I snuck it under Raph's nose just in time, but we gotta eat fast before he sniffs us out. He's an even bigger grump when he doesn't get my breakfast."

"That is quite a lot of food for so early in the day." Splinter acknowledged as his youngest was as careful as he'd ever seen him, setting his jenga-tower of food on the well made bed. "I hope you are not spending all this time making so much food just for my sake, Michelangelo."

"Are you kidding, Sensei? Of course I am!" Mikey beamed as he began dismantling the structure, spacing the food out on his sheets before it could tip over.

"But why this much? I do not have as a big an appetite as you have, my son."

"I told you I'd make up for missing a day." Mikey grinned delightfully to his father, referencing that day of great suffering when they finally reached the back of the fridge, leaving nothing for Mikey's culinary skills to work with.

He announced each helping as he set the plates and bowls out across Splinter's bed. "Some chicken soup for the soul, with extra cheese of course. Some of my mind-blowing bruschetta, scrambled eggs with tomato and cilantro, just the way you like. Grilled cheese sandwiches, and freshly squeezed orange juice!" He arranged his eating tray accordingly, pretending not to notice all the old pictures taken down around the room. He wouldn't say anything about the sudden emptiness surrounding his father's room now that any trace of his old family had been stripped from it. No, he decided he'd eat with him just like he had been doing all along. Keeping him connected with his loved ones in any kind of way while the chaos still swirled around their lives.

Yoshi looked over the large meal, and he had to wonder if the gigantic range of food options was more so a reflection of Mikey's brain scatteredness or simply his excitable personality. Typically when Mikey went for full on course meals, they were more organized and thought out– ironically. Even this appeared all over the place, no matter how beautifully presented and deliciously aromatic it was.

"I appreciate all you have done for me over these past weeks, my son. I know I have not been present in your lives since..."

"Don't sweat it, Sensei. Leo and Donnie are taking care of everything. We just miss you." Mikey's easygoing expression turns to soft concern, as does his voice. "But I'm still worried you're alone too much."

Splinter eyed the drop of basil and grated cheeses floating around in the soup bowl on his right. Eventually, a small, relieved smile twitched ever so slightly at his lips. "It is getting better. Somewhat easier..."

"Great!" Mikey smiled hopefully, watching from across the bedspread as Yoshi's eyes were downcast in thought. He took this moment to hop up onto the large bed and perch himself comfortably between the dishes of food, leaving Splinter his usual space for dining.

Digressing from his previous reservations, Yoshi moves to sit with his son in the midst of his culinary creations.

A wave of gratitude rushed over the rat as he picked up the soup bowl in his hands, and the heavenly smell filled his senses and taunted his stomach. He eyed his youngest as he set the bowl down and stirred around the contents with a spoon. "Please, tell me how you have been doing."

"Oh, man. I feel like so much has happened," Mikey got started, segueing into a list of household updates to relay. Although, it wasn't truly what the elder wanted to know at the moment. "We made Leo take some downtime yesterday. He's gotta catch up on some serious napping soon before he passes out. Oh! Raph actually listened for once and held off on the whole attacking-The-Foot plan. Leo didn't think it was a good idea, so he talked him out of it." Hamato listened closely as Mikey snatched at a freshly grilled cheese sandwich and shoved it in his mouth. "Raph and I still train most days now. But it's weird without everyone else there."

Mikey seemed in a daze as he relayed the information, the height of the usual endless cheer in his eyes softened by familial turmoil and emotional wear and tear.

Without realizing, Sensei placed a hand on Mikey's shoulder, causing the masked teen to meet his apologetic expression. "I realize that things have been torn in this household for too long. And as the head of it, I should not have let it be this way... I will try to be there for all of you more," he promised. "

"Really, Sensei, no one expects you to bounce back from all this so soon," he shakes his head, young and innocent eyes wide.

"I am your father. I should not have let all of you go through this by yourselves for this long." Splinter disagrees, repeating what he's been trying to coach himself to believe over the last few days. "Life must go on for all of us, and I can no longer let you all handle this on your own."

Leo's POV

Later in the morning, I set a bowl of steaming soup and a water bottle down on the wooden table, beside the other sides of food I brought in for us. I had walked to the kitchen to find something to scrap together for Y/n and I to eat before she awoke, but found a fresh feast already sitting out that made my stomach rumble for some much needed comfort food.

I really have to remember to thank Mikey later for making these meals for everyone. Even if all of it was less so for the family and more so for relieving all of the stress he was so good at leaving unacknowledged, having a dose of home cooked meals was helping in more ways than expected.

Luckily, last night was an easier one. Y/n slept more peacefully, however reluctant she was to get to sleep in the first place. But before that she had actually made it through the whole movie with me, although it was easy enough to tell towards the end of it that she was forcing herself to stay awake. And after a while of trying to talk her down to sleep, and her trying to change subjects, she eventually couldn't fight the fatigue, and fell asleep in my reassuring embrace. I stayed awake through the night while she slept like a rock at my side.

But I am getting worried about her growing unwillingness to ever let herself sleep again. I've seen firsthand how much resting has both helped her and terrified her over this healing process. It's obvious enough there was no way her brain was going to win the battle against needed sleep in the state that it's in, but I wonder if she can afford to lose sleep anymore than she can afford to keep having those bad dreams that chase her away from it in the first place. The nightmares hadn't gone away– even if they have become less severe and she's adjusted better to them. She just a has a new way of trying to deal with them.

But as far as I could tell, she didn't have any kind of nightmare last night, so I'm praying that'll help with the anti-sleep problem if it insists.

Now, I stand in the middle of her room, staring at the drawer of the beside table where I placed the files on her last night. I sat down on the bed slowly while my head mulled through this internal war, staring at the wood for a few moments more before finally reaching over and retrieving the documents.

The paper was getting more and more wrinkled after being handled enough times. The fold creases were more prominent, the papers having only been recently printed off after I secretly made my own copy of the documents Donnie and I had been studying.

Helplessly I search the page to read those words again; the ones I couldn't get out of my head through all of last night. I just couldn't stop trying to rationalize it all in my mind... The harsh reality Y/n lived at only six years old. I already knew how hard her past was, so I just can't understand how the specific details of her report– that I easily could've guessed at myself– could plague my mind so much.

I looked over my shoulder to Y/n to check that she was still sleeping, and saw her scratching at her shoulder through her sweater in her sleep. I'm starting to notice how much it's been irritating her lately, those cuts probably inflamed and bothered by the cloth of her sweater constantly rubbing against it. Enough that now she often and unintentionally scratches at it despite it only causing her more discomfort.

Once her hand fell limp again, my eyes returned to the reports. Reports talking about her traumatic childhood, if you could even call it that. And depression, and anxiety, and apparently claustrophobia too. All very new information, and I hadn't even gotten past the first page...

I was scanning over the page in thought, and the next one peeked under the first tauntingly, revealing a few enticing words– handwritten. But I already knew what came later. Karai's scribbling of the entire process. And on the next page, Donnie's notes of her overall condition and how to take care of her; what I've already seen. I can feel my skin prickling with apprehension just thinking of reading what came next, and I wondered if my protective curiosity or my fear of her horrifying experience was stronger.

Easily answering that question, my teeth bit at the inside of my cheek as I nudged the top sheet aside, revealing partial access to all the gory details. My eyes scraped down the paper, certain words catching my eye as I neglected reading it properly, for now.

There was a line mentioning Karai's intentions of starving Y/n from food, sleep and water indefinitely. Locking her up in the dark, which her background reports so helpfully enlightened Karai of. Another gut twisting paragraph of how effective Scott's unceasing use of burning needles was. An image I've had to work hard at keeping out of my mind after seeing it so clearly in that meditation vision.

With a soft groan I quickly folded the pages back over, too much anxiety rising to keep on hashing over Y/n being put in more pain. I mean, that was only a fraction of it and my stomach was already turning. I know I shouldn't be forcing something like this on myself. At least, not because my curiosity was getting the best of me. But because knowing what she went through might make it easier to help. Both Y/n and Donnie.

The realization of her being in such pain without my ever even knowing of it just doesn't sit well. And I don't want to take that chance. As much as Y/n would hate the idea of me knowing the exact details of what she was forced to go through, it's so much more important to me to know that I have the necessary knowledge, so that she can have the right help. No matter how hard it is for me to stomach.

So after taking a breath that didn't do anything to calm my nerves, I completely move the top page from hiding the next one.

I started off reading it slowly. And none of it was easy, to say the least... Discovering how Karai taunted Y/n about her family. How she was kept awake through the night by recordings of Shredder's past torture victims, and the stationed Foot Bot's electric jolts. I could feel pressure building in my chest just imagining the panic she must've felt being all alone in that room...

And then, the details of something about a claustrophobia panic inducing machine–

My hand slammed the folder shut, eyes closed shut as I tried to even my breathing. A sickening jolt flinches inside me. It was so wrong. It was all so wrong. Hurting such an innocent soul. Clearly enjoying it enough to plan and document the process.

And even now, it wasn't just the psychopathic torturers in the wrong. I know why Y/n wouldn't want me to know about this. And what's worse is that it was Karai that drove me to finally doing this. I successfully avoided peeking at these papers for weeks, and so quickly I fell into her agenda after one conversation.

I nearly jumped when I felt the bed move, looking over to see Y/n stirring. Quickly I place the papers back in the drawer and close it quietly, turning back to her as tired eyes fluttered open.

"Hey, there." I say in a soft voice like I always do when she's just awakened. She shifted onto her side, facing me. "You okay?"

She stretched her arms, flinching a bit at the soreness in her shoulder, but nodded before getting comfortable in the warm bedsheets again, hugging one of the propped up pillows beneath her. She sent me a soft smile, but it quickly faded away as she stared at my expression which must've been heavy with melancholia.

"Is something wrong?"

My mouth parted slightly, caught off guard. I hadn't meant to be so obvious, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. But, we left things on such a good note last night too. I can't bring this up. Especially not first thing in the morning...

It's the wrong thing to do, I know that. But I can feel the question eating away at me all the same. Wondering why she told me so much of the truth just to change one detail in the end. What was the significance? I sigh, thinking again how much I shouldn't have read this for so many reasons. I should've heard this from her.

"... Can I ask you something?"

"Okay."

"And you don't have to answer. I know you hate to talk about it, and with the dreams you've been having about them lately..."

"Leo?" She sits up carefully, confused and concerned. I'm sure my rambling was completely lost on her.

My gaze shift from my lap to stare at her for a short moment, before asking. "The night we were having our last date," I start, and see the look in her eyes change. I tried to be as gentle as possible, but knew she'd only think about what it led to afterwards. "You told me about your parents that night, and... how your father died." Her eyes flicked up to me in surprise. Just meeting her gaze, I immediately felt like a jerk for asking this. But I can't take it back now. "You said that he accidentally overdosed on his medication... Right?"

She had only been awake for a few seconds, but I could see her brain gradually realizing the specifics of my question. "Oh..." She breathed, and looked at her lap, suddenly fidgeting. With no processing or deflection, and her voice uncertain, the answer came out almost as a question. "Sort of."

My head tilts in sympathy as she lets her hair cover her sullen face. "I just, I have to ask... Did he..." I trail off, the question too hard to finish. "It wasn't an accident, was it?"

"No." Her antsy hands were suddenly interested with the soften of the sheets.

"Because she left?" It was the first question I've asked that I didn't actually already know the answer to.

She took a breath. I'm sure feeling strange falling into this conversation so normally. And after she's probably avoided ever saying it out loud for so many years. "I guess so... That's what I thought."

She responded so softly, and so openly, that I just watched her as her fingers fidgeted and eyes glazed over in thought. I could see and feel the shame casting over her body, and immediately I regretted triggering those feelings in her.

But she must've taken my silence as a bad sign, because she shook her head before trying to explain. "I-I just couldn't tell you."

"Why?" I ask gently. "Why would you tell me all the other bad that happened, but stop there?"

Sadly, her face gave away the remembrance of that night I created an intimate little private world for the two of us. I could recall clearly how much it had felt like a perfect cocoon of comfort being close with her, just talking with each other, and feeling safe and connected with her. Even after I asked about her past. "Because we were having fun and I didn't want to ruin it." She looked me in the eyes. "I still remember how understanding you were up until that point. But," she has to look down again as she justifies the white lie, "if I had told you everything we wouldn't have come back from it that night."

I knew she was right. I had asked her to tell me more about herself, but now I know I couldn't have just moved on past something like that about her father as if it was nothing. Even before, when I believed I could handle whatever it was.

"And... admitting to you that I wasn't enough for either of them to stay..." She shrugs with downcast eyes, digging to remember her train of thought from that night. "I didn't want you to realize maybe I wasn't enough for you either."

"What? Y/n, no..." She looks at me when my eyes widen, and I push her hair back gently from her face so she can see me clearly. "Y/n, I could never... Do you think I'm taking care of you just because it's the right thing to do?" I laugh incredulously and cup her face, looking her right in the eyes. "You are so important to me."

"I know that now." Her hand rests over mine, almost smiling reassuringly.

"Is that why you could tell me now? Because, you feel safer with me?"

With a small sniff, she nods. She looks away from my gaze and past me, almost seeming guilt-ridden. "... People treat you so differently when they hear that your parents left you... I treat myself differently." She shakes her head in frustration. "I'm just so tired. I'm tired of having no control, and constantly dreaming about them. Hearing their voices after so many years– hearing her voice..." A shaky inhale forces her to stop before she gets overwhelmed. "I'm tired..."

"I know," I whisper softly, letting my thumb stroke along her skin soothingly.

"And I didn't want to lie, I just... I didn't know what to do so I just said it–"

"You don't need to explain yourself to me. I shouldn't have pressed you so hard about it in the first place." My head shakes at her. "I just wanted you to know you could trust me."

With a soft nod, she greedily leans into my touch and closes her eyes. I continue my tender strokes on her cheek, my eyes watching her finally let her guard down to me.

Karai thought this was gonna scare me away from her? I thought back in disbelief. If anything, I just want to protect her more. She's spent her whole life taking care of herself, I wouldn't think twice about taking the burden off of her.

"Y/n..." My thumb explores along the line of her jaw slowly. Her eyes open, glassy and bright. But no tears came as she met my gaze, and managed the slightest genuine smile at me. There was just surrender in her eyes. A calm trust. She was fine. Thank God, she was fine.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from her, or help noticing just how close we were to each other. Eyes looking into my own, her hand reached up and touched the side of my face gently, giving me the confirmation I needed. Not able to wait any longer, I leaned down and kissed her lips softly, hand moving from my caresses to hold her chin gently.

She didn't flinch. She didn't shy away. She just reacted, closing her eyes and kissing me back so lightly. Her fingers twitched along the skin of my cheek, and my other hand skimmed up her arm to keep her heavenly touch on me, gripping gently around her wrist.

It felt so surreal to kiss her again.

It felt surreal that she was letting me.

No apprehension. No barriers. Just her timid touch molding into mine.

But too soon, our lips parted from each other before I could overwhelm her with my own feelings. Our noses brushed, foreheads nearly touching. I watched her breathe in the moment, putting all her trust in me. I didn't hesitate to wrap an arm around her back, because she always welcomes that. We sat there for a while, not saying anything in a comforting silence.

We just let our foreheads rest against each other, while her thumb slowly felt along the skin of my cheek in thought.

"Hey." I spoke up after a while, realizing something. "This was your first night without a nightmare." She blinked at the statement, realizing it was true after a second of thought. I couldn't help grinning. "I'm so proud of you." I intertwined our fingers, gently kissing her hand. "Today will be better."

An expression that I couldn't quite read crossed her face as she looked from our hands back to me. "Only because of you."

"That's not true. I'm barely doing anything. I'm just here for you." I deny, to which she raises a brow at me. "I'm serious. You've learned how to trust us. Me. Donnie. Mikey and Raph too. I didn't do that. You did."

After an attempt to comfort her with the truth, those innocent eyes just stared at me quietly, like they were in deep thought. And at first I thought she didn't believe me, but then she leaned closer and moved her hand to gently cup the side of my face, softly kissing the opposite cheek.

Palpitations in my chest skipped a beat as her lips linger there for I don't know how many seconds... I had almost forgotten what that felt like. The simple act of her hands holding my face to kiss it, stirring so many emotions inside my chest.

I observed her closely as she looked at me when she pulled away, and I dared to think I saw slight optimism in her eyes. Then on top of that, a contented smile tugged at the side of her lips as she looked into my stunned eyes.

It was almost scary. All I could think about– all I could feel in that moment, was how much I love her.

Second POV

Later in the afternoon, after a big snuggly breakfast and then lunch with a movie at noon, Leo was surprisingly able to get you to sleep again. As much as he had enjoyed the day with you, and seeing you feeling a little better, he knew how easily tuckered out you still get at the end of the day. So after successfully tricking you into slumber, he quietly snuck from your room.

Distantly down the hallways, he had heard the sounds and voices of the TV and his brothers and friends watching it. A smile crossed his lips as he edged the door open, making out the voices of April and Casey who were visiting again.

"Ya know you've seen this episode like a bajillion times already. Can we watch something that doesn't completely suck for once?"

Mikey, tired and a bit grumpy from waking up extra early this morning, laid in the center of the TV room floor, atop his beanbag with his head propped up to watch the screen. His early hours were finally starting to catch up with him. Up until this point, no one complained about the unnecessary rerun of the sporadically loved show, because everyone already knew he'd rather watch Super Robo Mega Force Five rather than waste time by sleeping int he middle of the day. "That's because it's the best one."

Casey snorts. "Ya know you really shouldn't hog the remote when the TV already rots your brain daily."

"OH YEAH WELL YOU LOOK LIKE SID FROM FREAKING TOY STORY HOW ARE YOU EVEN GONNA–"

"Guys!" Leo whisper-yells as he was quickly shutting your bedroom door. "Do you mind?"

"Sorry, bro." Mikey mumbled out, suddenly forgetting about the wide-eyed Casey on the couch before turning back to the screen with a yawn.

"... Okay, I do not look like that kid from Toy Story."

"Yeah you do you have the same emo skull look and everything."

"You have the same teeth and hair too," Raph smirked, making April hide a snicker.

"Dude, that's messed up. You're gonna take bozo's side against me?"

Mikey sat up from the bean bag to face him. "Ya know what– come at me, Jones!"

"Bro, chill out," Casey defended against a strangely scrappy Michelangelo. Donnie rubbed a hand over his face when the bickering started, anticipating a headache.

"Guys, enough!" Leo's eyes widen at their random bouts of arguing, but his expression softens as they silence again. "Seriously, you guys cannot wake up Y/n or she'll never get back to sleep."

They sigh and stop again. "Sorry," they both mumble guiltily.

Leo frowned as he walked over. "What's wrong with you guys anyway?"

Raph's arms crossed as he sunk further into the couch. "Look, I think we're all just a little on edge. Mikey's exhausted 'cause he won't go to sleep, and you know how he gets when he resists sleep. And between never leaving the lair and never seeing Y/n–"

"You just saw her."

"No. You just saw her. Mikey and I have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for you to finally leave her room. You could at least tell us how she's doing."

He had to admit Raph had a point. It made sense they'd want to know if they made things better after their visit to you."She's fine. I think she feels better today." Leo conceded, reporting optimistically. "Seeing all you guys helped."

"See? Told ya some time with the fun brothers would fix her right up." Raph grinned at the news, and Leo didn't miss the tired smile from Mikey.

He smiled down to his brothers and friends, happy they were still here together, even if they were driving each other crazy. "Well I'm gonna get a snack and get some rest too. But I'm sure Y/n would enjoy more company whenever she wakes up."

With an overly amicable guise, Raph nodded and didn't say anything else as Leo took himself to the kitchen. His eyes met with every one of the others as they heard Leonardo rifling around in the refrigerator and cabinets. Unspoken confirmation of the plan about to unravel.

They waited until the leader left the kitchen, continuing to watch the television in wait. Once Leo did pass by again with food in his arms, and disappeared back within the bedrooms, it was just a matter of timing. They all waited just a bit longer, estimating how long it would take for him to eat and eventually pass out beside you, going on how worn out he looked alone.

Careful not to push far enough that the door would squeak, Raph nudged your door open to peek in. Sure enough, Leo laid atop of your bedsheets, next to you with his arm loosely around your frame. You were tucked under his embrace, contently resting against a fluffed pillow. He dozed next to you, his choice of unfinished evening snacks now abandoned on the bedside table next to him.

"They're both out like a light." Raph reported as he walked back to the living room, watching the others now gearing up and getting ready. "Now or never."

"You sure you guys are okay risking going back up there?" April looked to the mutant brothers with concern.

"We gotta do this at some point. I vote sooner rather than later." The red-masked reasoned.

"Besides," Casey twirled a hockey stick between his fingers, more than ready to use it if he got the chance. "They can't stay cooped up down here forever."

"Fair enough," she answered, then headed for the exit with the others. "Let's go!"

"And where would my young pupils be going at this late hour?"

The five teenagers immediately froze in place from the familiar authoritative voice. As sure as the sun rising everyday, that reprimanding tone never failed to stop them in their tracks. Master Splinter appeared before they could get out of the exit way. The one component of the plan Raph hadn't been counting on. But to help the situation, at least he improvised a convincing answer.

"To... church?"

Splinter looked down to his middle son's deadpan expression. It brought him back to so many other times he had caught Raphael and his siblings sneaking out of the lair when they weren't supposed to, offering a jesting response he knew would help no one. This offered a perfect touch of normal to his otherwise depressing daily routine.

"Church? That was your non-suspicious answer?" Donnie muttered irritably from his side.

"I was tryin' to act natural and it slipped out alright?" Raph shot back in a grumble. 

"And your wit didn't come through for us. Huh, what a surprise."

"Whatta ya want from me it's not like I was expecting him to show up!" He turned to the taller brother now. "I didn't see you offerin' up any helpful lies."

"Not before you offered your numbskull one." Donnie crossed his arms, unfazed.

"Boys, I may be old and towering, but I can hear you from up here."

Their small bicker session was broken up, finally turning back to their back-from-the-dead father.

"Sorry, Sensei." Raph craned his neck slightly to look him in the face. It almost felt unfamiliar... But even with the inconvenient timing, a sanguine smile twitched at his mouth. "Good to see ya..."

"It is good to see all of you," he returned the sentiment, a heartfelt glint in his eyes as he addressed each of the teenagers.

"Master Splinter..." April approached him hesitantly, as if addressing him too firmly would scare his ghost away again. "It's been so long since... well... how are you doing?"

"I am fine, April," he answered vaguely, but still with care; appreciation. "I have been pondering on this plan of Raphael's to 'face off' with The Foot."

"Man," Casey's shoulders slumped like a kid told it was time for bed. "How'd he find out?"

"I'm guessing Mikey's weekly newsletter updates," Raphael hunched, eyeing the only possible leak they could've had. Said leak only smiled nervously and chuckled sheepishly.

"Leonardo was right." The wise elder cut back in. "We cannot make contact with our enemies. It will be putting too much at stake."

"Sensei–" Donnie began, only to stop when the rat master held his hand up.

"But, Raphael's concerns are justified. I think it would be wise to venture out and see what has transpired behind their walls since our last... quarrel." Donatello wasn't sure he had ever seen his gripe of a brother's jaw drop before. Then again... it wasn't everyday Splinter agreed with him, especially on matters of engaging in combat. "An outing to test the waters; to find out how safe your return would be and what we should expect. We need to be prepared whenever you do re-emerge, whether it is sooner or later. But you are not to engage with their forces. No matter what. I will not risk any of your safety again."

"Wait... seriously? You're– not gonna stop us?"

"It is essential for a ninja to know what they may face. I trust my students will be diligent in handling a matter as important as this. So long as you stay to the shadows."

Donnie's perplexity waned into a gratified smile. "I'm way ahead of you, Sensei. We've got plenty of smoke bombs."

"Good," the father approved with a nod. "You should go while they are not expecting you. Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor. We will inform Leonardo later. I will help him tend to Y/n while you all are gone."

April gave an easy smile. "Don't worry, Sensei. We've got this."

And with that, Yoshi watched his children run off, towards possible grave danger. And for a moment, he was left alone in the empty room.

Until three turtles came running back, just like as little turtle tots, crowding around the tower of a man to wrap their arms around him in a hug. The wise rat looked down in surprise, progressing such affectionate contact after weeks in seclusion.

"Thanks, Sensei." Smiling faces beamed up at him.

Slowly, almost hesitantly, he hugged back. "Please, come home safe, my sons." He pleaded, eyes closed, until he had to let them go.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

214K 5K 113
Ever dreamed of being with your favorite Turtle? Well now's your chance! Go through a wild roller coaster of emotions with your turtle, will it end w...
746 45 6
Leo x Shredder A.K.A Oruko Saki Leo is different from all his brothers. Yeah he loves watching Space Heroes, loves being a leader even though they do...
219K 7.6K 34
plip, plop plip plop. The rain quietly fell from the sky. there was no thunder or lightning. just rain. The water slid down your already drenched bod...
2.7K 73 48
I exited through the side entrance of the building and stood by the manhole cover, pulling it up and out of the way. I climbed down the ladder and sl...