The Earl's Young Bride and Th...

By SueHart2

Life's controversy is overcome by understanding and conquered by love. Two couples. First, there is Lord Benn... More

Copyright Page
Chapter One: The Contract
Chapter Two: Discovery
Chapter Three: All About Vivian
Chapter Four: Discovery
Chapter Five: Messages of Hope
Chapter Six: Promising Start
Chapter Seven: Courtship and Games
Chapter Eight: The Unexpected
Chapter Nine: What's Proper?
Chapter Ten: Love of Music
Chapter Eleven: Concerns and Determination
Chapter Twelve: Questions and Digging for Answers
Chapter Thirteen: Sex Education
Chapter Fourteen: Shocking Conversations
Chapter Fifteen: Temptations Stranglehold
Chapter Sixteen: The Lure of Temptation
Chapter Eighteen: Understanding
Chapter Nineteen: Nothing is Perfect
Chapter Twenty: A Ring of Promise
Chapter Twenty-One: The Little Chapel
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Celebration
Chapter Twenty-Three: Intimate Innocence
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Morning After
Chapter Twenty-Five: Redirection
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Upper Hand
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Barriers
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Explosive Feelings
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Decisions
Chapter Thirty: An Inebriated Plan
Chapter Thirty-One: Her Heartfelt Apology
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Unexpected Seduction
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Long Day of Travel
Chapter Thirty-Four: Happiness Redefined
Chapter Thirty-Five: Plans Made
Chapter Thirty-Six: Advantages of a Rushed Marriage
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Surprises that please or shock
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Facing What Comes
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Unexpected Help
Chapter Forty: Thieves and Surprises
Chapter Forty-One: The Grand Apology
Chapter Forty-Two: Time for Each Other
Chapter Forty-Three: Examining Truth
Chapter Forty-Four: Back to Maywood Manor
Chapter Forty-Five: Righting what's Wrong
Chapter Forty-Six: Recovering What was Stolen
Chapter Forty-Seven: Good News and Trouble
Chapter Forty-Eight: Back with Charlotte
Chapter Forty-Nine: More Arrivals
Chapter Fifty: Recovery of Stolen Goods
Chapter Fifty-One: Found Evidence
Chapter Fifty-Two: The Baroness
Chapter Fifty-Three: Maywood Jail
Chapter Fifty-Four: The Trip Home
Epilogue

Chapter Seventeen: A Day of Decisiveness

590 67 31
By SueHart2

Ben rode through the streets, his steed flying. He had a bad feeling about this. His worry was for Owen as he tried to handle men hot with anger because they worried over something that had yet to happen.

Once he reached the warehouse, he heard the crowd before he saw them. Owen stood nearby, shouting promises as he held his hands high, palms out, in a sign of peace. Then he saw a man swing at him. Owen ducked out of reach as he tried to keep a brawl from breaking out. Ben raced his horse directly at the man with his sword in hand. This man had asked for trouble, and that was what he would receive.

"Hold and desist," he called from his position on his large, dark horse. Ben pointing the sword at the ruffian's chest, saying, "Back up or you will bleed."

The man's hands flew up as he backed away. Ben looked around at those still shoving and yelling. He whistled so loudly, he immediately gained their attention. "Cease this trouble now or find another job. None of you are irreplaceable. I will not tolerate anyone telling me what I should or shouldn't do with my company." He whirled the saber with a twist of his wrist. "Get out! If you don't leave now, they will carry you out!" he said with malice.

As he sat upon his horse, he tugged on the reins and signaled the horse. His steed rose high on his back legs and waved his front hooves before dropping to the ground. Ben knew the impressive sight that was, especially up close. Years ago, he had seen an actor do this stunt, and it was a show stopper. Ben trained his horse and had used it ever since. The idea of slicing bodies in two did not appeal to him, but he would not hesitate to use force if anyone threatened Owen with harm.

For a moment, he thought to dismount, but doing so made him vulnerable to attack. Instead, he rode up beside Owen, removed his boot from the stirrup, and offered his hand to haul him up behind him. He then turned the horse, facing most of the workers.

"You have twenty seconds to get off my property. Do not return until you know your place. If you try this again, I will fire everyone. I would rather hire new people than kill you for this."

When they didn't move, he began to count loudly—"One...two...three..." he watched the men run out the doors. After the last man departed, Owen's head fell onto Ben's back as he laughed.

"That was the best acting I have ever seen you do yet. You should go on stage." He swung his leg over and slid to the ground. Without another word, he hurried to the delivery doors, shut them tight, and locked them.

Ben sheathed his sword. "Are you suggesting I wouldn't follow through?"

"You think I'm a fool? I know you would. Cleave them in half is a bit more than what I've seen you do. You never attacked a man's limbs in consideration of his ability to provide for their families. But a souvenir of the trouble they caused, yes. Some carry the scars—as do you.

"Did Vivian see you leave?"

Ben shrugged. "It's possible, but she was busy with Charlotte when I left. I was in a bit of a hurry to come and help. I arrived in time to see that you had an angry mob on your hands."

"Some men listen, some don't. There were too many for me to fight. Those on my side were of no help except for Tibby who rode for you to come and help." Owen looked around but didn't see him. "Don't tell me Tibby left after getting you."

"He didn't catch up to me until after I rode inside. I saw him using his horse to chase after the men leaving," he said with a grin. He swung down from his mount and walked towards the office. "Tell me what happened. What shipment was short?"

"Not short, late. They came to move our arrival to storage to be listed and then take it to our distributors. What came on this shipment was silk and spices from Singapore. It was not a small shipment, but not like the furs, cotton, tobacco, and fruit from the South Seas and America. That will arrive in two days. But the workers wouldn't listen to explanations. There was one man, I didn't recognize, who instigated this riot. It makes me think that he may work for someone else."

"Hire an investigator to talk to the men. Someone may know something. I need to get back. If Vivian saw me leave, without me saying a word, she could be upset with me."

"You are already acting like a husband," Owen said as he waved him towards the door to leave. "I'm through with this today. I have my bike and I'll race you home."

Ben slowly shook his head. "You need to expel your anger by racing—we will race." They went out the back door with Ben's horse trailing behind. Owen grabbed his bicycle while Ben locked the door. He took the reins, mounted, and watched Owen take off to get a head start.

When they came near the house, Radley was spotted pacing on the Northside of the house. He kept away from the windows to stay unseen.

Owen flew right by him to put his bike away in the stables. Ben reined in his horse and dismounted beside him. "What ails you, Radley? Does it have something to do with Charlotte?"

"I wish it were that simple. When I left home this morning, Father was leaving for Croxley. When I returned, he had left me a note requesting I bring Vivian there to join him. He wants to take her to see your father. But I know that isn't all. I fear he is about to cause trouble for you and Vivian."

"In what way?" Ben couldn't believe that her father, Lord Brighton, would act with such dishonor.

"He may not allow her to return. After hearing him say he was concerned Vivian may not survive a birth, he tried to talk her out of seeing you. She defied him and now she doesn't trust him. She will never leave you. Not willingly. Our father does what he wishes. He always has."

"So, he left you to handle Vivian for him by tricking her into going?" Ben curled his hands into fists. "Will you do as he wills?"

"If I don't, he will ask Michael. As the Viscount of Bedford, Michael will simply leave for his estate that our maternal grandfather left to him, which will wash his hands of the matter. He respects you, as do I. By some miracle, your marriage to my sister will not be one of duty, but affection. I'd have to be blind not to see the way you look at her. You two have been blessed by this contract, because both of our father's signed it. By law, that gives you permission to wed her. But you know that. You studied law too."

Radley hung his head as he admitted, "I fear I may have caused this by saying how happy Vivian is to be with you again. Then she bravely told him not to interfere with your relationship again or she would cut the courtship short. That's why he has devised a plan."

"I do not wish to have her marry me out of spite for what her father does. She may regret her choice."

Radley brought his hands to his hips. "God's blood, Ben, what does she have to do compromise you?" Ben's eyes widened with shock. "Your sister and Vivian told me you never... well, saw other women," he said tentatively hunting for the right words.

He continued to stare at Ben to convince him. "Your actions are a commitment that proves to her that she is the only woman you want as a wife. She loves you for that and everything else you sacrificed for her. She wants you, so take her. Go to Doctor's Commons, get a special license, marry her, and make her happy. She has never dreamed of a big wedding.

"If you do not act on this, my father has every legal right to take her to Croxley and keep her there until she is eighteen years old, and there is nothing my brother and I can do to stop him. If you tried to prevent me from Charlotte, I would fight for her. In fact, she would probably marry me now. But I will not act on my relationship with her until you make Vivian happy.

"Besides, I should meet your father as a grown man and ask for her hand."

Ben cut a bit of a smile for the first time since they began talking. "My father has given me guardianship over Charlotte since she decided to live with me. This house is mine. I'm afraid you will need to ask me for her hand—after you ask her." He began walking towards the stables. His horse had already been taken inside.

"Will you ask Vivian to marry today?"

"Of course I will. This is our decision, not mine alone."

"I will give her away and Michael will want to be present as well."

"Have you considered what you will do if your father tells you to leave? He may do that for disobeying him."

"I have my estates in Bedford. The farmland is rich and it brings a good purse, but I have also made investments. I can always buy a house. Michael can live with me. We don't need much."

"You do if you wish to marry Charlotte. Let me tell you what I will do. If you and Michael are told to leave, pack, and come here. This house is not extravagant, but it is large. I am sure Vivian would be pleased to have you staying with us. At sixteen, she still needs her brothers.

Radley stared with shock. "I'm grateful for your offer. We have never stood against him until now. Shall I tell Vivian what our father has done?"

"That is a kind offer, however, Vivian and I will discuss this alone."

Radley raked his fingers through his damp hair. The rain had stopped, but it was still dreary out. "Doctor's Common is open until five. Why don't you get the license, then discuss it with her? I'll go with you." He pulled the contract out of his breast pocket to show him. "I grabbed this off the desk before I left the house. It will help having the contract, and spare you from getting yours."

"I don't understand how you knew I was gone."

"I didn't. I sent the stable boy inside to get Earnest. I didn't want the girls to see me."

"There is urgency in your actions. What are you not telling me?"

"Our godparents live not far from here. I don't doubt that my godfather will check and see if I have left tonight. If not, he will take her kicking and screaming in order to deliver her to Father."

Ben now understood what he needed to do. He called for the stable boy to bring him another horse as well as Lord Brighton's steed. "I will arrange for the Bishop to perform the ceremony."

Owen came out of the house, eating an apple. "Are you two coming inside?"

"We have business to attend to. Please inform Vivian that I will not be long, perhaps an hour or so depending on the circumstances. Please inform Charlotte that Radley will return with me."

"When was I demoted to messenger boy?" he asked while laughing. "Go, I will tell her."

Ben nodded and waited until Owen went back inside. "I will make all the arrangements for a speedy wedding. That means I must also speak to the bishop and arrange the time and place to marry Vivian. After this, I will visit a college friend of mine who happens to be a barrister. There are easier ways to prevent disaster. I believe I shall hire a few Bobbies to attend the wedding. Having my friend write an order of protection for us will be much easier.

"With the contracts and permission from the Archbishop to marry Vivian now, I can stop your godparents from interfering. If they try, they will be arrested for it." He nodded. He was pleased with his decision. "I had planned for Vivian to decide when we would wed, but now, I shall encourage her to act upon it. I do not wish to be separated from her again. It would be too painful."

Radley told him, "There's only one more option. After you obtain the license, travel to see your father and marry her there. You two would have more time to think if you do not wish to wed now. Your father may think of another way to postpone it so you can court her."

"I will discuss this option with her if she is hesitant." The horses were brought to them; they mounted and rode towards town. Neither said a word until they arrived at Doctor's Common.

You knew it was coming. Vivian didn't trust her father and now you see why.  Radley made a hard choice to defy his father. Today that happens, but in that time period it meant being denied access to the family  money.  The trouble isn't over. I'll post the next chapter in a few days. I need to edit it.

Thank you for reading. I love your comments. I like knowing where your mind is when reading each chapter. It allows me to see if I'm setting it up right.

PLEASE, remember to VOTE.  It's as good as a review.

Hope you are all well. COVID-19 hit my daughter's family in Florida. She and my grandson had a mild case, but her husband is in intensive care using a ventilator. His name is Brian and I'd appreciate your prayers.

Thank you. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

563K 23.2K 60
~ Past separated them, now pain will bring them together.~ A teenager Sofia Hayden, experiencing her falling apart family isolated herself slowly fro...
16K 848 21
In Regency England, young governess Violet is much to used to being on her own, with only her pupils at the Langley estate to keep her company. But w...
Chasing Charlotte By Em

Historical Fiction

344K 14.3K 19
Charlotte Cecil was always a beauty, elegant and refined in disposition. However, the moment she opens her mouth, all propriety of a lady is thrown o...
4.6K 184 20
"Stay away from me, don't talk to me except if it is about my son or about something very important. And lastly don't fall in love with me" he said "...