The Earl's Young Bride and Th...

By SueHart2

Life's controversy is overcome by understanding and conquered by love. Two couples. First, there is Lord Benn... More

Copyright Page
Chapter One: The Contract
Chapter Two: Discovery
Chapter Three: All About Vivian
Chapter Four: Discovery
Chapter Five: Messages of Hope
Chapter Six: Promising Start
Chapter Seven: Courtship and Games
Chapter Eight: The Unexpected
Chapter Nine: What's Proper?
Chapter Ten: Love of Music
Chapter Eleven: Concerns and Determination
Chapter Twelve: Questions and Digging for Answers
Chapter Thirteen: Sex Education
Chapter Fifteen: Temptations Stranglehold
Chapter Sixteen: The Lure of Temptation
Chapter Seventeen: A Day of Decisiveness
Chapter Eighteen: Understanding
Chapter Nineteen: Nothing is Perfect
Chapter Twenty: A Ring of Promise
Chapter Twenty-One: The Little Chapel
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Celebration
Chapter Twenty-Three: Intimate Innocence
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Morning After
Chapter Twenty-Five: Redirection
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Upper Hand
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Barriers
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Explosive Feelings
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Decisions
Chapter Thirty: An Inebriated Plan
Chapter Thirty-One: Her Heartfelt Apology
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Unexpected Seduction
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Long Day of Travel
Chapter Thirty-Four: Happiness Redefined
Chapter Thirty-Five: Plans Made
Chapter Thirty-Six: Advantages of a Rushed Marriage
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Surprises that please or shock
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Facing What Comes
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Unexpected Help
Chapter Forty: Thieves and Surprises
Chapter Forty-One: The Grand Apology
Chapter Forty-Two: Time for Each Other
Chapter Forty-Three: Examining Truth
Chapter Forty-Four: Back to Maywood Manor
Chapter Forty-Five: Righting what's Wrong
Chapter Forty-Six: Recovering What was Stolen
Chapter Forty-Seven: Good News and Trouble
Chapter Forty-Eight: Back with Charlotte
Chapter Forty-Nine: More Arrivals
Chapter Fifty: Recovery of Stolen Goods
Chapter Fifty-One: Found Evidence
Chapter Fifty-Two: The Baroness
Chapter Fifty-Three: Maywood Jail
Chapter Fifty-Four: The Trip Home
Epilogue

Chapter Fourteen: Shocking Conversations

701 81 42
By SueHart2

Radley knew something caused such a red face when Charlotte came downstairs and looked into his eyes. Embarrassment from something and it involved him in some way. Situations such as this stirred his curiosity more than most things. His sister didn't show anything but when she looked at Ben, her eyes softened and he swore he saw passion there. He wondered why. Ben had been friendly, but nothing romantic had happened to either girl.

He heard the sound of rain followed by Michael hollering before he jumped from his horse and dashed for the porch. "Michael has arrived," Radley said as he rose and headed for the door. When he came into the hall, he saw Owen come out of a room with paperwork in his hand.

"Good morning," he said as the door opened for Michael. "I didn't know you were here."

Owen shrugged, "I've been cloistered in my office trying to get some work done before my ten o'clock appointment. Since your brother has arrived, guess we can eat."

Michael removed his coat and handed it to Harwood, who hung it on a coat tree to dry. "I'm late because Father received a message from the solicitor at Croxley. One of the tenants lost his house to a fire that he says was set on purpose. Father's packing and ordering the coach made ready. I suspect this will take a few days, but he plans to go visit Lord Caldwell at Kensingdale for a couple of days before he returns." He saw Ben at the opening and gave him a nod.

"How does this affect Vivian?" Ben asked.

"We'll be here," Michael said as he glanced at Radley.

Vivian crossed the space to his side and took his arm. "This is not that uncommon, Ben. I'm not going with him. I never do unless we all go," she said looking up at his face. We will still go to the opera and Vauxhall Gardens. Shall we go and eat? I believe Owen desires us to do so since he needs to leave on an appointment." She smiled and belatedly bent a knee to greet him.

"Thank you, Vivian. 'Tis good to see you. Do you plan to spend the day with us?"

"Most of it. However, this time, I shall eat beside Ben. I would be pleased if you would join us. Last night I enjoyed your comments about Ben." She felt him pat her hand and smiled up at him saying, "He spoke of letters you wrote to me but never mailed. I wish to read them."

Ben glanced at Owen and rolled his eyes. "Are you stirring up trouble again?"

"She should know how you dealt with the separation. You two are closer than she realizes. Show her." Owen looked at Charlotte who stood beside Radley. "Michael, it looks like you and I will be able to discuss work. Ruth is likely eating in the kitchen."

They walked down the hall towards a dining room.

**

Breakfast went smoother than dinner had the night before. When they finished eating, Charlotte took Radley to the art room to show him around. She kept telling herself it was because she promised to keep busy while she spent time with Ben. But after seeing those drawings in that book, she knew why. She wanted more. Even the thought made her face heat as if she stood in front of a raging fire.

He walked around with his hands clasped behind his back looking at paintings... and studying her. "What embarrassed you this morning?"

Shock widened her eyes as her mouth dropped open. She lifted her hand to fan herself and became aware at the last moment what she was doing. So instead, she covered her mouth and walk towards a statue of a naked warrior with a helmet and a short cloth hiding his manly parts. "It was something Vivian said about you upstairs and then seeing your face," she said because it too was true.

A cocky grin twisted his lip up in the corner as he approached her. "Tell me what she said."

If he touched her, she feared she would tell him everything, especially with the way he was acting. Instead, she lied by saying, "That you are interested in me and it isn't just because you are performing a brotherly duty to chaperone her."

"Sweetheart, you already know that. I've kissed you more than once. There has to be more than that." His stalking steps caused her to walk backward as she shook her head and held her hand out to stop him.

"'Tis best to admit it now, Charlotte. You know I'll eventually get you to tell me. Not that I'll mind the task." He stepped closer, reached out and clasped his hand around her extended wrist, and tugged her into his arms. "I doubt that blush had anything to do with any conversation about the opera or a buggy ride." He rubbed his hand up and down her back as he leaned down to nibble her ear.

"Radley?" she asked in a breathy whisper. "You shouldn't..."

"Shouldn't what, my dear?" he breathed as he kissed her neck. "To blush as you need, you were thinking of being in my arms, weren't you?" He slowly moved his hand from her back to the side of her waist and then purposely grazed the side of her breast. "You are so delectable."

She gasped at the sensation of his fingers teasing her breast and started to step away, but his other arm held her against him. "You should not be doing this, Radley."

He raised his head to look at her face and the dreamy look in her eyes brought his cocky grin back. "Do you want me to stop?"

"Behave yourself," she said while escaping from his hold.

He merely reached out and brought her back into his arms. "I don't think you want that, Charlotte." His lips came down and captured hers. The kiss was filled with passion and neither fought it. His hand had traveled from her waist down to her lovely bottom and that's when he heard footsteps coming in their direction. He raised his head to see the dazed look in her eyes as she slowly opened them. She had a good hold on his neck and he had to pull her hand away. "We will definitely finish this discussion later."

As an act of innocence, he turned her around so her back was to the door, then pretended to study the sculpture of the warrior. "I've seen this piece while in Rome."

Ruth came into the room and asked, "Would you like to see my art, Radley?"

No, what he wanted he knew he couldn't have. Charlotte was standing there in a daze blushing and he enjoyed seeing it. Accepting the circumstances, they joined Ruth to see her paintings.

*

Across the hall in the library, Ben was retrieving the letters from his the desk drawer for Vivian to read.

"Owen said you wrote to me to feel as if I were with you."

"Yes, that is true. When you tell someone they are not permitted to do something, especially when they long to do it, can bring rebellion. You felt this when you learned about our courtship. Radley told me you insisted I come and see you." She smiled as she nodded. "I feared the repercussions would be great if I disregarded his rules. To compensate, I began writing to you as if I would send them." He set a thick stack of letters on top of the desk. "Owen always told me that one day I should give them to you to read."

"May I ask you questions about what you wrote?"

"Of course you may. Shall I read them to you?"

"Would you?"

He observed her pleading eyes and unfolded the first letter.

My dear sweet Vivian,

It has been three days since I told you goodbye and was told not to get in contact with you until given permission. I fear what my lack of care will make you think ill of me. Believe me, I argued with your father after hearing such an edict. He refused to explain and I worried he would dissolve our contract to marry. That would be something I could not live with.

I have become settled in school and we begin classes tomorrow. My room is adequate and I have met some of the students here. This should be an exciting time for me, and it is in some ways, but I know my time away from you will be hard. I had hoped you would write. Hearing from you would have made our separation easier. One day I will ask your father again why he has done this to us.

Vivian interrupted him. "Have you asked him?"

He looked up from the letter and nodded. "He worried we would be close in the form of siblings instead of a couple."

"I see. It is good to know he wished to help. Do you believe that was wise?"

"My father led me to see you as my bride, Vivian. You belonged to me and it would be my responsibility to take care of you one day. He explained the intimacy we would have and that physical love we shared would bring children.  I never saw you as a sister, believe me," he said shaking his head.

She pulled the book from her pocket and laid it before him. "I saw this book over a year ago. It embarrassed me too much to study such a thing at the time, but I had not forgotten it existed. Have you ever seen such a book?"

He laid his letter down and picked up the book to read the title. "The Art of Love?" he said interpreting the French.

"Open it until you come to the drawings."

He studied her face and did as she asked. When he came to the one called a missionary position, his eyes flashed back to hers. "I saw a book similar to this in college. Does your father know you have it?"

"All books are allowed to me, Benny. I wished to educate myself on what is to come between us."

He nodded as he swallowed, then turned the pages to see more. "Do you wish to discuss it?"

"After you read your letters—but we do not need to read them all now. This passion that I read about interests me. Do you feel this way towards me? I ask because the book mentions kissing and using a tongue to mimic sexual intercourse."

He closed the book and swallowed again. "Desire, once experienced, is hard to stop until it is completed," he said not looking at her. Then he raised his eyes to look at her face. "I have never touched a woman. You will be my first. Though, a man often masturbates to relieve his sexual tension." He could feel the blood rushing to his face admitting such to her.

"The book says nothing of this," she said looking at it. "I have felt none of this sexual tension to try such. Is that something I should experiment with?"

At that moment he wished his mother were around to advise him. "If we kiss as the book describes, you should experience desire."

"I wish to do this."

"We shall, Vivian. First, we should build our relationship." He watched her eyebrow hike as she slowly shook her head. "You wish to experiment now?" He watched her rise to her feet and walk around the desk with intent.

This behavior would not be so unusual today, but back then--oh my, so taboo. Yet you know it happened. Attraction between couples is difficult to resist. Curiosity and desire pushes actions. Radley is bold, while Ben is trying to be respectful. After being asked to resist Vivian and postpone the wedding, this is not the direction they should take. Wanna bet that won't work? LOL

Good luck on that, Ben. We know the struggle you'll have.

Radley already has Charlotte panting. Will they behave? I have my doubts.

Hope you had fun with the chapter. They sure entertained me as I saw them going through this.

I want to hear from you. It encourages me to keep writing. I also want to hear what you think will happen next. That makes it fun for me as well to see if your imagination with these couples have kicked in.

Please, REMEMBER TO VOTE.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.5M 2.6K 6
Brielle Newman A 21-year-old girl who was struggling to make life comfortable for herself and her niece, Delilah. Her sister left the baby the minute...
33.3K 1.7K 50
Daisy has been a stripper all of her life against her wishes. With an annoyingly genius brother to take care of, she is ready to do whatever it takes...
446K 26.5K 60
[The Inconvenient Matches series is comprised entirely of stand alone novels that can be read in any order] Forced into marriage by duty and obligati...
477K 22.1K 13
( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a simple, plain, and most ordinary girl, so...