Wait For Me to Come Home (Noa...

By justavibingbisexual

** There is NO smut in this story** Being labelled a successful up and coming singer-songwriter isn't exactly... More

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Nine
Part Ten
Part Eleven
Part Twelve
Part Thirteen
Part Fourteen
Part Fifteen
Part Sixteen
Part Seventeen
Part Eighteen
Part Nineteen
Part Twenty
Part Twenty One
Part Twenty Two
Part Twenty Three
Part Twenty Four - The Lamppost Back on Sixth Street
Part Twenty Five
Part Twenty Six
Part Twenty Seven
Part Twenty Eight
Part Twenty Nine
Part Thirty
Part Thirty One
Part Thirty Two - Wait For Me To Come Home
Part Thirty Three
Part Thirty Five - Kiss Me Under The Light of A Thousand Stars
Part Thirty Six
Part Thirty Seven - Epilogue

Part Thirty Four

660 12 8
By justavibingbisexual

Robbie

'A hush falls on the crowd here in the gold medal event. It's all tied up, at twenty one points a piece for both teams and we're at match point. It looks like Robbie Pearce is going to serve, he has been excellent this game, and might I add as well, that he's extraordinarily handsome--'

'Robbie, shut up so you can lose already.'

'It's service--'

I jump up in the water, flinging the inflatable down to the other end of the pool, where Michael and Tyler scrabble to keep the ball up in the air. Tyler manages to reach the ball, hitting it up high back towards my end, where I start to wind up my arm to smack it back as hard as I can--

'AND IT'S SCHNAPP FOR THE WIN!'

Noah bursts out of the water nearby, practically drowning me as he rises to smack the ball. I hear the sound of his hand connecting with the cheap plastic on the inflatable before I go under the water, and when I come back up, I'm greeted with my cousins and Noah in fits of laughter.

'What? Where is it?-- Oh.'

I've followed their gaze and spotted the inflatable ball stuck in an outcrop of rocks jutting from the cliff by the pool. I turn to look at Noah incredulously, not even bothering to hide the hysterical smile that's forming across my face. Noah looks from the ball, to all of us in the pool and shrugs.

'I mean technically, it's not out of bounds.'

'It's not in the pool!!'

'But it never left the pool, so it's--'

The ball comes loose from its perch and lands with a dull thwack on Michael and Tyler's side of the pool. We all look at each other in confusion, before I turn to Noah with a grin on my face.

'It landed on their side.'

'So... technically we won?'

Becca's laid on one of the sun beds by the pool, and pulls her sunglasses down from her eyes to look at us.

'Yeah, I guess you guys won.'

'WHAT?!!' Michael and Tyler protest, but it's too late. Noah and I begin celebrating our 'victory', even if it was helped by rocks. I watch Noah as he tramples across the pool to my cousins, giving them handshakes and making a big deal out the win, but I really don't mind. It's all a bit of fun and it's helped to take my mind off of the shit which happened earlier. It's been a couple hours since my parents left with Amanda and Joe, I'm gonna assume that they're most likely exploring the small town square near the villa. And knowing Amanda, she's probably already drinking Sangria or whatever alcohol they can find, which means that she's going to be a bunch of fun when they get back.

'This is bullshit.'

Michael grabs the ball again, his competitive sporty side coming through more than it did during the game.

'Best two of three.'

'I mean sure, if you guys want to lose again...'

Noah looks over at me, almost asking with his eyes if I'd be alright going another round. I clutch my left arm with my hand out of instinct, and give him a small shrug.

'I think I'm gonna get out and take a break for a bit.'

Noah mouths 'Are you okay?' at me and I give him a small smile and nod to go with it, and he seems to accept that. His attention is turned back to Michael and his brother as I cross the pool to the steps leading out of it.

'We can do two against one. Bring it on.'

Giggles and shouts start up again, with the occasional sound of the splashing as the ball bounces back and forth. I've pulled myself out of the pool, and already the dry wood of the decking is scorching hot in the afternoon, so I practically hop over to the sun bed next to Becca where I left my towel.

Becca's put her headphones in and doesn't stir as I collect my towel and give my hair a quick rub dry, leaving it sticking up all over the place, but in all honesty it doesn't matter. I sit down on the sun bed, wrapping the towel over my shoulders, staring off into space.

'Hey. This seat taken?'

Noah's appeared in front of me, water dripping from him all over the sun parched decking around us, and a huge grin on his face. I'm trying so hard not to stare but I mean, I can't help it. He looks too god damn cute. I know that I'll never get a body like his, and it makes me more self conscious about my own chest and waist, so I pull my towel a bit tighter around myself, trying to cover up most of my upper half. How can someone as hot as him even look at me with the amount of love he does?

'Robbie? You good?'

I snap back to reality, staring up at him whilst trying to hide that I'm still stuck thinking about how much worse I look than he does.

'Uhm...yeah. Yeah I'm fine. That last game took a lot out of me.'

Noah grabs his own towel from another chair, pulling it up alongside me and sitting down, watching the water drip and begin to pool underneath his chair. I've found my glasses where I left them next to the t-shirt I took off before getting in the pool, I slip them back on and watch as the world comes back into focus.

'Michael and Tyler seem to like you.'

'I hope so. They're pretty cool.'

We sit together in silence, watching as Michael and Tyler start their own game against each other, and you can see the sibling rivalry in full flow here. I see Noah moving a bit out of the corner of my eye, and I look over curiously just as he brings his phone up to start filming us. I give the camera a weak grin before lifting my towel higher up around my torso and turning away, not really wanting to risk the chance of anyone seeing my binder under my wet t-shirt. Becca's noticed however, and beams a huge smile Noah's way and pulls a face, which brings a grin to his face which I find adorable.

He finishes with his recording and places his phone down on the ground next to the chair, turning to look at me again.

'Do you know what we're doing tonight--'

'KIIIIDS! WE'RE BACK!!'

I can't even make a verbal groan cause Amanda would somehow hear it and then have a free excuse to have go at me, so I stay quiet, but Noah has already read my face and knows I'm less than thrilled.

Amanda appears at the top of the stairs with empty hands, and is followed by my mum and dad both carrying a lot of very full carrier bags stuffed with crates of different drinks and foods. Joe takes up the rear, carrying some bags with fresh baguettes sticking out of them, looking less than impressed as he spots me. Amanda's already slithering her way towards Noah, and I shoot him a look, raising my eyebrows and gesturing with my eyes towards my parents and the heavy bags. I think he gets the idea as Amanda makes it poolside.

'Oh, wonderful, you've all been in the pool. How is it?'

That last question she directs at Noah, almost as if she's pretending that the other teenagers here hadn't also been in the same pool. Noah flashes her a bright grin, and I'm so glad that he's an amazing actor cause most people would've cracked by now.

'It's lovely. I bet you guys could do with a swim now that you've been out in the heat--'

'Oh what an excellent idea Noah! I was just saying to Steve that we should go in the pool when we got back, isn't that right Steve?'

My dad looks over at her as he and my mum stagger inside with the shopping.

'Yes you were Amanda. Go have a dip whilst we're packing this stuff away.'

'You look like you need a hand dad, let me help.'

I've spotted my opportunity and I've taken it, getting up from my chair, unfortunately also catching Joe's attention.

'Oh, so you can actually help us out instead of sitting around doing nothing?'

I stay silent, ignoring Joe's comment, as much as I want to point out that we're on holiday and that he and his wife haven't offered to help my parents. Noah picks up on the building tension immediately and swoops in again to save me.

'Yeah Stephen, I can lend a hand too--'

'Are you not going in the pool Noah?'

'I-- uhm... I just got out of it, but I'll get back in in a bit.'

He doesn't give Amanda a chance to reply as he ushers me towards back towards the kitchen, and as we step back inside I give his hand on my shoulder a little squeeze. It's not as much as I'd like, but I hope he knows that I'm thankful for his little intervention there. We join my parents, both drenched in sweat standing at the breakfast bar where they've piled up the heavy bags of shopping. Dad beams at us both as we come towards them, whilst my mum downs a glass of water in pretty much a single gulp.

'Thanks boys. Just need a little help packing it all away.'

'No problem!' Noah beams at my parents, and we start grabbing cans of cola and some of the many bottles of water they've bought and begin piling them into a large fridge freezer. I look at my dad after I place some of the cola on a shelf in the fridge.

'You guys enjoy the walk?'

'Yeah. It's a really nice little walk down to the town square. Even if it was bloody hot. Lots of restaurants and bars as well, we checked the menu's in some of them to get an idea of where we could go one night.'

I nod in response as I finish putting another massive bottle of cola in the fridge, and dad raises an eyebrow.

'Is that your swimming binder? Just don't want you having a broken one like last time.'

I turn a deep crimson, and I appreciate the fact my dad cares but I also don't really want to keep reminding Noah about how I'm completely different to him. Noah looks unfazed though, which helps calm me down a little.

'Yeah it is, but I brought a couple spare with me in case.'

'Alright kidda, just looking out for you.'

We share a smile and I count my blessings that I have such supportive parents.

'Oh, we also saw the bar where everyone from the wedding is going to be meeting tonight.'

I grin over at Noah and he rolls his eyes at me, which my mum notices with a smile.

'What're you grinning about Robbie?'

'Oh... Noah asked what we were doing tonight, but you just answered that for me.'

My dad grabs one of the boxes filled with beer bottles that are no doubt going to be inhaled at break neck pace by Joe, and starts taking each bottle out of the box and placing them in the freezer.

'Pretty much everyone going to the wedding is staying in or around the town square so they all agreed to meet up at a bar. Will you be alright with all those people around there who might go a bit crazy about there being a celebrity? I mean, apart from you, my kids and Amanda's kids, there's no other teenagers or kids here so you there might be a lower chance of you being recognised. I don't think a lot of the adults have even heard of stranger things.'

I look at Noah with concern, but he grins and puts an arm around me and the damp towel still on my shoulders, shaking me around playfully.

'Are you kidding? Everyone will be going insane about the talented musician next to me, so don't worry about me at all!'

Noah and my parents share a good hearted laugh as I start to blush again, but I can't help it. Why does every compliment I get from Noah make me react like this? Noah's arm leaves my shoulder as he probably becomes a little aware that it might start being suspicious if he left it there any longer.

'But in all seriousness, it's fine. Thanks for thinking about me but I'm sure I'll be alright. If not, we can just run right?'

My dad laughs, and turns back to the fridge, putting some cold cuts of meat inside.

'Alright then. I'm not much of a sprinter but I'm sure after a few drinks tonight I'll be fine.'

We spend the next ten minutes loading up the fridge and making small talk about plans for the actual day of the wedding tomorrow and the family party the day after, and there's still no sign of Amanda or the ray of sunshine incarnate which is her husband. Typical.

I feel sorry for my parents spending so much time with them, no doubt spending most of it carrying all that heavy crap too. It really pisses me off seeing how they treat my mum and dad, but at least I know that I'm never gonna treat the rest of my family like that when I'm older.

We've just finished packing the shopping away and my dad and I have started making sandwiches for a late lunch when Amanda appears by the sliding door leading out to the pool, dressed in something that she might've looked good in twenty years ago. It's like she's trying to force the swimsuit to mould her back into the shape she was in before she had kids, and failing. I'm all for body positivity, but this is a body assault on my eyes.

My dad and Noah don't even flinch, and once again I'm reminded of how well they can take things in their stride.

'Well boys, what do you think? Picked this up from Debenhams last week, a real steal.'

'Looks great Amanda!'

Noah just nods in agreement with what my dad has said, and Amanda seems satisfied... for now.

'I'll be hopping in now if you want to join me!'

'Just getting some food, and then we'll be out there!'

Amanda frowns, expecting Noah to answer but again my dad has covered for him and Noah gives her an apologetic look as he follows my dad's lead and starts making his own sandwich. She stands in the doorway for a little longer, expecting us to say something else, but when we don't she disappears and we hear the sound of her entering the water.

'Thanks for the food Stephen.'

'No problem at all. I think it'll be quite nice to eat it out there in the shade. And then we'll have to see just how good you really are at pool volleyball.'

Noah grins at my dad's challenge before turning round to look at me, even though I'm already shovelling my sandwich into my mouth. Going to the bar tonight will be a better way for people to meet Noah than at the wedding itself, mainly cause no one will be trying their hardest to look 'respectable' and just be focused on getting drunk. I doubt that any of the adults would try and approach him anyway. I'm more worried about my relative in her newest swim suit. The chances that Amanda won't do something idiotic involving my boyfriend after she's had a few drinks are low, but not non existent.

Nights during the summer are probably one of my favourite times of the year. There's almost always clear skies, and as the evening slowly transforms into night you can see the stars scattered around above you. The best part is that it's not scalding hot anymore, it's at that perfect temperature where you can comfortably wear a t-shirt and shorts, and not be punished with layers of sweat sticking your clothes to your skin.

The walk down into the town centre was just as great as dad said it would be. As we descended down the hillside, walking on the asphalt coated road, we got a view of the valley in all its glory bathed in the orange glow of the low hanging sun. I can already tell that walking back up all of this tonight is not going to be fun, especially if we have a few drunk adults in tow as well. Noah and I had hung back at the rear of our group with the safety of my dad and mum nearby, who were keeping Amanda at bay. For now.

When we were sure no one was watching, we'd briefly slipped our hands together so that we could actually walk a small distance like the couples in front of us. That only solidified the fact that I was on holiday with my boyfriend, and I knew that I had to try look for more opportunities like this during the rest of our stay here. Noah looks at me after we release our hands from each other's grip when we reach the bottom of the hill and begin heading down a street which looks like it's straight out of a travel magazine for Greece.

'So... are there gonna be any more people like Amanda at the bar?'

'I don't think so. There's a lot of people who've come for the wedding. My cousin whose getting married was always popular so she's invited as many people as she possibly could. I definitely won't know any of them, and I know they probably won't bother us cause they'll see us as kids, so I think we try find a couple of tables with my family and just chill.'

Noah grins, moving his hand slightly closer to mine, and I really want to take it, but for Noah's sake I don't want to now that we're in the more populated areas.

'Seems like you've got everything figured out.'

'Well, that's the problem with having anxiety. The way my head works, I'm planning out exactly what and where I'm going to go, who I might end up running in to and the best way to avoid people. I kinda hate how my head is wired, but I can't help it.'

'I don't hate it.'

Our walking pace slows down and the group ahead of us take no notice, ploughing on towards the sounds of music and laughter wafting through the air from the town square. Noah hasn't looked away from me, instead he's staring at me the way he always has when he's complimented me before, and I'm still like putty whenever he looks at me like that.

'You... mean that?'

'Of course. You know that I'm always gonna support you no matter what, so you do whatever makes you more comfortable in public and I'll be right alongside you. Okay?'

I nod, surprised that the tears that would normally start falling from my eyes round about now haven't started. We've stopped completely now in the deserted street, and I'm looking up at him, and him down at me. We look from side to side, making sure there's no one around. He flashes me a smile, and I raise my eyebrow mockingly.

'What?'

'Oh, I just find it ironic how that someone who plays to tens of thousands of people in sold out shows has anxiety.'

I scoff, trying to swat at him with my hands, but he clutches onto them and holds on, closing the small distance between us.

'That's cause I can't even see most of the people, dumbass.'

'Well, they wouldn't want to see this anyway.'

Noah's pulls me gently towards him, our lips connect and I lose all sense of where I am. I just know that I'm here in this space with him, and that all my worries seem to have just melted away. I'm not even aware that we've pulled out the kiss until Noah's sweet laughter snaps me back into reality.

'God, you looked really, really dumb right then.'

I scowl at him, but he pulls me back into a hug and I can't keep up the facade, grinning brightly into his shoulder.

'But you looked cute. Dumb. But cute.'

'Well done, you've just described yourself.'

He gives me a light shove, which I'm not gonna let him get away with, so I launch myself at him trying to bring him down a couple of notches.

'ROBBIE! NOAH!'

I've shot away from Noah immediately, and he's done the same, both of our faces turning bright red and looking in the direction of the disturbance. I breathe a sigh of relief when I see that it's just my mum, and I hear Noah exhaling loudly as well. That was a bit too close to being caught, if mum had arrived a few seconds earlier she would've seen us doing a bit more than just 'Horsing around'.

'There you guys are. We wondered where'd you gotten off too. Everything alright?'

Noah looks from me to my mum, and gives her a bright, cheery smile.

'Yeah. Everything's perfect.'

My mum's eyes dart from me to Noah, and back again, and I'm trying to remain as cool as possible to avoid creating any more suspicion.

'Oh, well that's great then. Come on, the bar's pretty full already and your father needs help finding some seats.'

Mum turns her back to us and starts heading up the street with us both in tow. I chance a look at Noah and he gives me a cheeky wink, to which I respond with a middle finger. I'm not mad about nearly being caught. I'm mad about the fact that I feel so terrible sneaking around behind my family's back when I know that they'll be fine with knowing about me and Noah. Although at this rate they'll probably piece it together themselves. I look over at Noah again and watch him as he pulls out his phone and starts scrolling through it. I know that I can't really come out without him being ready to, and I don't want to force him.

That'll be a conversation for another time though, as we make it into the square which is a picturesque typical small Greek square, complete with a huge fountain in the centre of it, with the tables and chairs from dozens of restaurants and bars scattered around the open area flanked by brick buildings.

A couple of local kids run in front of us chasing a beaten up football, and I can't help but grin. It's gotta be nice to live here, even if the constant stream of tourists coming and going must be annoying. This is a place is a little bit of bliss where it feels like I'm away from the busy world I've been caught up in for so many months. It's not that difficult to see which one of the bars is the one the wedding guests have all gone to, as you can see it's pretty much stuffed to the brim, and the garden area outside it looks like there's no space at all. I gulp a little bit, the large group of strangers that we're heading towards looming large, but Noah shoots me a reassuring look and sidles as close as he dares to me, and that helps.

We step through the small iron gate connected to the brick wall going round the garden area and no one seems to have noticed us at all--

'ROBBIE PEARCE!!'

My eyes nearly pop out of my head when I hear my name being called out from the crowd; and I'm praying it's not a fan cause I haven't prepared for this in the slightest, but then the person who shouted from the crowd appears as the mass of bodies moves and I see that it's my cousin, the bride to be. She looks radiant, probably because of the tan she's had done for the wedding, but she's one of those people it somehow suits. She bounds over to Noah and I, with what I suspect isn't her first cocktail in her hand.

'It's great to see you again! You were amazing at that gig in Birmingham, I was telling all my friends to listen to your music!'

'Aw, thank you so much Natalie! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. But this isn't about me. Congrats on getting married!'

We embrace in a hug where she's precariously balancing her drink behind my back, and I pray that she doesn't spill any of it on me cause that's going to make tonight a lot worse. Luckily that doesn't happen, and we pull out of the hug as she then moves to my mum and gives her a hug too, before coming to a stop at Noah.

'Hi! I'm gonna guess that you're Robbie's friend Stephen said would be coming along?'

Noah beams brightly at her, and this time I can see that it's not with the fakeness he's used on Amanda previously.

'Hiya! I'm Noah. Congratulations on your wedding, and thanks so much for letting me come!'

'Oh it's no problem at all Noah. The more the merrier! Have I seen you somewhere before? You seem kind of... familiar? If that's not creepy at all--'

It's Noah's turn to start reddening slightly, and it's adorable. He scratches the back of his head, giving Natalie a smile.

'I mean... I've done a bit of acting so you may have seen me before.'

'Oh, you're an actor? That's really cool, what sort of stuff have you been in?--'

'NATALIE! THE SHOTS HAVE ARRIVED!!'

Natalie looks off to the group of girls around her age seated closest to the entrance to the bar, who all look like they don't need anymore alcohol, yet alone shots. Natalie flashes us a grin.

'Sorry. Everyone wants a bit of me tonight. But I'll see you both tomorrow at the ceremony, and the paartaay after alright? It was nice meeting you Noah!'

She dashes off to join her friends, and the drunken squeals of laughter fill the air. I can't help but feel a little embarrassed as a British person whenever large groups of us go on holiday. We aren't exactly the most considerate, and drink a lot, so I just hope that nothing like that happens tonight. Noah's looking off after Natalie with a small grin on his face, and I nudge him gently.

'What's up?'

'Oh nothing. I'm just kinda glad that no one's noticed me.'

'Yet. I could just scream out who you are and then who knows...'

Noah digs me in the arm gently, making me roll my eyes at him.

'Over here!'

We all turn to look in the direction of the shout, and see my dad with Becca, Michael and Tyler clustered around some small tables they've managed to push together. There hasn't been a giddy scream accompanied by Amanda appearing in front of Noah, so I can assume she's ordering at the bar. Or I can be extra hopeful and hope that she's decided to leave already and fly back home.

We join them at the tables, Noah and I slipping into chairs that are wedged between Becca and my two cousins, which hopefully means that we've eliminated any possible places for Amanda or Joe to slide in to.

'Cola, Pepsi or whatever they have good enough for you guys?' Mum asks all of us, and we give universal nods in agreement. She disappears and I take the chance to sit back in my chair and let the atmosphere wash over me. Sure, it's loud and a little crowded but everyone here has one thing in common, and that's to have a good time celebrating the marriage of two people. Michael is showing Tyler and Becca something on his phone, but I haven't decided to get my phone out-- yet. I watch with a smile as they all laugh at whatever thing Michael is showing them, and when I turn to Noah I see that he's got his phone out and is filming again.

The camera stops on me and I throw up a small peace sign, which is the universal awkward go to gesture for most queer people I know, so I wonder if whoever watches whatever Noah's filming is gonna pick up on that. Noah pockets his phone just as our drinks arrive, and we all share a cheers before falling back into silence. Noah's foot has sneaked its way to mine under the table, and he gives me a little tap with it.

Although I'm not looking his way, I wait a couple seconds before giving it a light tap back, and then his leg is rested against mine and I shiver a little at the contact. This is the best we can do though at the moment, and I wouldn't change that for the world. All these people around us, and there's plenty of couples as well, who don't have to worry about showing affection. And the wedding tomorrow will be torture as well. I think I'm gonna talk to Noah tonight about the possibility of at least telling my parents. That scares me, even though I know it shouldn't. But Noah's leg against mine under the table reminds me that we're in this together. And that's what matters.

I was right about one thing: the walk back uphill to the villa is proving to be a challenge for everyone. It's impossible for Noah and I to hang back behind everyone else, because Amanda is currently being supported at the back by my dad as she struggles to even see where her feet are, yet alone where they're going. Joe and my mum are at the front of the group, walking faster than all of us. When Joe drinks he always seems to go to my mum and starts explaining whatever his latest radical opinion is. Unfortunately and somewhat ironically, he's talking about the transgender community, which come on, I'm right here. He might as well just say the slurs straight to my face.

He kept on shooting looks at me as he was saying things which were making my stomach churn which I'd rather not hear repeated ever again. Almost as if he's justifying his blatant transphobia cause I held a fucking rainbow flag at a gig.

As we round the bend towards our villa, and unlock the front door; Joe's rant currently at the 'Now I have nothing against gay people, but why have they got to be so in our faces about it' part, I opt to hang around in the basement level of the villa, where the laundry room is. Noah had seemed pretty despondent as we walked behind the walking piece of shit spouting hateful crap, and he headed straight upstairs once we'd got inside. I needed a bit of time to calm down before I went back upstairs again, cause I was extraordinarily close to snapping and just coming out right there and then, fully ready to start calling out Joe on all his bullshit.

I hear Becca and my other cousins come through the front door, nattering away about something they'd seen on TikTok, shortly followed by the drunken stomps of Amanda and my dad constantly warning her to watch where she was going as she somehow managed to make it upstairs. I sit down on this one plastic chair by the washing machine, removing my glasses and holding my head in my hands. I'm trying to control my breathing as tears start to stream down my face.

I fucking hate it. I hate being in a world where no matter how 'accepting' people seem to get, hatred only continues to grow and worsen towards people like me. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do 'normal' things with Noah in public in my lifetime, with the constant threat of a single homophobe being able to say or do something to both of us. And don't even get me started on the whole trans thing. Will I ever get on T, do all the things I can to try pass as much as possible?

I'm shaking uncontrollably, and let out a short gasp of air as I cry. I think back to my gigs, back to when I first met Noah, trying to control my breathing. Noah knows what to do, he always somehow manages to make me feel better.

'Robbie?'

I look up from my hands, putting my glasses back on and the figure in the doorway clears a bit through my misted eyes, even though I know who it is. Noah's been crying too, and something breaks inside me seeing him upset as well, and in a moment we're in each others arms. I hold onto him tightly, hoping and wishing that I can take this pain away from him and make everything alright like he always does for me.

'I'm-- I'm so sorry Noah. You haven't been out to yourself for long and haven't been around someone like Joe before. This is all my fault, I'm so sorry I asked you to come--'

Noah doesn't say anything. He just squeezes me tighter and my words fail me. I squeeze back as hard as I can, hoping that he'll be okay. He pulls out of the hug, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand, giving me a weak smile.

'It's alright... I-- I didn't know that there were still people like that... It really got to me. I have no idea how you've put up with that for most of your life.'

'The thing is we just have to like... I don't know. Rise above it? Like it's really cheesy but that's how it is. People like him are a dying breed. Everything he said back there was bullshit, and you know it.'

I look at Noah, and he smiles, but doesn't seem convinced. So I take things into my own hands. I grasp his arms, and tilt my head upwards as I lean in close for a kiss. It may not be much, but we're lost in this moment again. It's our little moment of defiance, and also a touching reminder of just how much I love him. His hands have found their way onto my shoulders, and are slowly working down to my chest and I feel my breath catch at his touch. Once again though, the universe has different ideas as the sound of footsteps and talking travels down from upstairs.

'I'm just saying Jess, if she didn't want to ruin her favourite top why did she choose to wear it tonight--'

Dad and Mum come into the laundry room, dad holding Amanda's top in his hand with a suspicious vomit shaped stain on it which I'm going to pretend is not what I think it is. Noah and I had pulled apart, but were still probably glowing bright enough to illuminate the dim room. Dad pulls a cord for the light and we're suddenly blinded by a harsh fluorescent whiteness. Both he and mum look us up and down with confusion on their faces.

'What're you two doing down here?'

We both remain silent, too sheepish to really say, as mum looks closely at my face. She looks over at Noah too, and then I see understanding flash across it. She's spotted the tear stains, and the red puffy eyes. Well, she is a mum after all.

'Is this because of what Joe said?'

I look at Noah and then to the ground in front of me, shakily nodding.

Mum comes towards both of us, scooping us into a hug with her as dad throws Amanda's top into the washing machine.

'He's drunk. And also a bit of a prick. But don't tell him I said that.'

Noah and I chuckle, as mum pulls out of the hug and links arms with dad.

'I know he says a lot of upsetting stuff. That's just the person he is, and I think we know that he can't be bothered to change. So don't take it to heart alright.'

'I'll have another word with him tomorrow. I told him after the family gathering last year that he was going to have to deal with the fact there's a transgender person in the family, but he's clearly... stubborn.' My dad adds, and I see the slight frown crossing his face which is never there unless he's about to unleash hell on somebody. Unlucky Joe.

Mum nods in agreement, looking from me to Noah with the care I've been so lucky to grow up with.

'It's easy for me to say but just ignore him. Live life how you see fit.'

'Talking of fit, I'm very happy with who I chose to love.'

'DAAAAAAAD!'

I groan, and he and Noah laugh at my embarrassment. Dad flicks on the washing machine, and turns to leave with mum.

'Please don't get down because of what he's said alright? You know that no matter what, we'll always love you. And that means you as well, Noah.'

Noah looks up from the ground and gives my mum a bright smile, which she returns. My dad pulls on the cord, returning the slight darkness to the room. I don't know what it was, maybe it was what mum had just said, or seeing the smile shared between Noah and her, but I suddenly get an urge to do something I've wanted to do for ages. As dad and mum start to head out of the room, I take a small step forward.

'Mum? Dad?'

They both stop in the doorway, turning to look at me with concern.

'Yes Robbie?'

I gulp, knowing that this is probably gonna make me cringe when I think about it years from now, but I don't care. Noah has joined me by my side, I can tell that he's probably caught on. I turn to look at him, shooting him a raised eyebrow as if asking if he's definitely okay with this. He grins, and nods at me. Mum and dad look at us both, their expressions unreadable.

'I-- We-- We're... uh...'

Noah's hand slips into mine and I freeze.

'We're kinda... dating?'

Noah finishes what I was saying, and I instinctively flinch, expecting the worst case scenario as my head always jumps to that conclusion first. But nothing happens. The world doesn't end. Mum and dad are sporting huge grins, and they have the look of pride on their faces that I'm so lucky I've got to see so many times in my life.

They both share a small laugh with each other as Noah and I look at each in confusion. They compose themselves, grinning brightly again.

'That's wonderful! I mean... we had started to suspect something--

'Yeah! You've been a lot like me and your mum when we first started dating...'

'But as I just said-- We love you. Both of you. And that's never going to change. We're very proud of you.'

'You've pulled a great guy too Robbie, so congratulations with that--'

We all laugh at Dad's joke, even if Noah's gone a little red.

'Is that everything?'

'Uh... yeah? I think so.'

'Well, thank you very much for trusting us both enough to tell us. And don't worry, we won't tell Joe and Amanda. We're going to head up to bed, are you going to come up with us?'

I look at Noah again, and he gives me a shy smile, and I think now is the first time where I've felt this immense weight that had been building up lift off of my chest.

'Yeah. We'll be right up.'

'Great. Night. Love you.'

'Love you.'

And with that they leave Noah and I alone, still holding hands in the darkened room. The silence is deafening, but it feels right-- I've finally done the one thing I was terrified about doing. And I had my boyfriend by my side as I did it. I know that tonight, I can sleep properly for the first time in ages without worrying about when I'd have to tell my parents. And I think now that we've overcome that together, I'm more in love than I have been before.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

188K 6.3K 41
[COMPLETED] "i guess everything was just a waste then." - lowercase intended.
498K 18.1K 94
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
1.2M 48.2K 53
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
742K 45.4K 110
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...