The Earl's Young Bride and Th...

By SueHart2

Life's controversy is overcome by understanding and conquered by love. Two couples. First, there is Lord Benn... More

Copyright Page
Chapter One: The Contract
Chapter Two: Discovery
Chapter Three: All About Vivian
Chapter Four: Discovery
Chapter Five: Messages of Hope
Chapter Six: Promising Start
Chapter Seven: Courtship and Games
Chapter Eight: The Unexpected
Chapter Nine: What's Proper?
Chapter Ten: Love of Music
Chapter Eleven: Concerns and Determination
Chapter Thirteen: Sex Education
Chapter Fourteen: Shocking Conversations
Chapter Fifteen: Temptations Stranglehold
Chapter Sixteen: The Lure of Temptation
Chapter Seventeen: A Day of Decisiveness
Chapter Eighteen: Understanding
Chapter Nineteen: Nothing is Perfect
Chapter Twenty: A Ring of Promise
Chapter Twenty-One: The Little Chapel
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Celebration
Chapter Twenty-Three: Intimate Innocence
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Morning After
Chapter Twenty-Five: Redirection
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Upper Hand
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Barriers
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Explosive Feelings
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Decisions
Chapter Thirty: An Inebriated Plan
Chapter Thirty-One: Her Heartfelt Apology
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Unexpected Seduction
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Long Day of Travel
Chapter Thirty-Four: Happiness Redefined
Chapter Thirty-Five: Plans Made
Chapter Thirty-Six: Advantages of a Rushed Marriage
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Surprises that please or shock
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Facing What Comes
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Unexpected Help
Chapter Forty: Thieves and Surprises
Chapter Forty-One: The Grand Apology
Chapter Forty-Two: Time for Each Other
Chapter Forty-Three: Examining Truth
Chapter Forty-Four: Back to Maywood Manor
Chapter Forty-Five: Righting what's Wrong
Chapter Forty-Six: Recovering What was Stolen
Chapter Forty-Seven: Good News and Trouble
Chapter Forty-Eight: Back with Charlotte
Chapter Forty-Nine: More Arrivals
Chapter Fifty: Recovery of Stolen Goods
Chapter Fifty-One: Found Evidence
Chapter Fifty-Two: The Baroness
Chapter Fifty-Three: Maywood Jail
Chapter Fifty-Four: The Trip Home
Epilogue

Chapter Twelve: Questions and Digging for Answers

658 74 26
By SueHart2

Before going to bed, Vivian had spent the evening examining the book that Charlotte had brought her concerning the essential guide to the peerage. The beginning dealt with titles and ranks, which she already knew. What she wished to know dealt with behavior issues.

There were points on hosting and entertaining, a section on dress codes, forms of address, table manners, and formal events, but absolutely nothing concerning rules on courtship. She aggressively slammed the book closed leaving it on her desk.

As she took off her robe, she realized that most young ladies should have been taught what was in that book. Her father had made sure that her governess gave instructions on table manners, the different ranks of the peerage, and such things as using 'the' before a title, showing there were no higher-ranking members in the family.

Ben was Earl of Kendal, a lesser rank than his father, Marquess of Kensingdale. Neither one had the highest rank in the family because Lord Caldwell had an older brother who was the Duke of Farthing.

Her brother Radley was only Viscount of Maywood until he inherited their father's title, who was the Marquess of Croxley. Michael inherited his title of Viscount from his maternal grandfather, but the estate was managed by his father's golden touch. As the second son, known as the spare, if something tragic happened to Radley, which was a terrifying thought even in passing, he would inherit that title as well.

Shaking off the horror her mind had traveled to, she kicked off her slippers and crawled into bed leaning back against the pillows. She had learned behavior before she was ten-years-old. But courtship had never been discussed because her governess was dismissed two years ago.

What she was interested in learning had to deal with practical things. Could she attend the opera with Ben unescorted? When could she expect her first kiss from him? Was there a waiting period of courtship before she could be alone with him and then gain a kiss?

As it was, she would have to rely on Radley and Ben for her answers unless Charlotte knew the answers to those questions. She had a mother. Wouldn't a mother instruct her older daughter about such things?

She reached out to turn out the lamp and flopped back on her pillow to think this through. When she compared the romantic stories she read in novels to Ben, she smiled. He was boldly handsome, brought her flowers, flirted with her, and attentive enough to play with her at the park. Compared to Radley, who had treated Charlotte as if she was that wild horse Ben had mentioned, Ben was everything a girl would want.

At dinner, she had seen the expressions of dejection from Charlotte. Radley had glanced at her, but their father had ruined everything... almost. She adored the way Owen had spoken about Ben. He told her how Ben worried she would forget him. Then she learned how he had written letters to her, which he never mailed. The reason he wrote them, Owen told her, was that Ben used the letters to feel closer to her. Owen suggested she ask Ben to read them to her.

The thought of him sharing what he wrote meant she would learn what he had been thinking about at the time. She snuggled under the covers staring at the empty space beside her. Would he want the kind of marriage where they would sleep side by side or would he expect her to have her own room and stay there?

Michael told her that married couples seldom slept together. When she asked why, he had told her that few marriages were a love match. Well, Ben already loved her... but she wasn't sure if it was the same kind of love or not. In time, she would know the difference, wouldn't she?

There was the fact that men snored. She had heard her father at night and doubted anyone could sleep beside him. She giggled at the thought.

She gave the mattress a pat of her hand wondering what it would feel like to be held against Ben's body with his strong arms around her. A sigh escaped her body as she drew a pillow close to her side. The idea of what marriage could bring gave her a thrill but also hesitation.

Two years ago she had found a book, written in French, about intercourse. She thought it dealt with love because of the Title: Artde l'amour. She read it until she came across drawings of the act as it taught positions and the expectations of desire. At the time, her embarrassment had not allowed her to finish it. Now she would because she wished to know.

An education on the subject would be advantageous. Especially concerning the new feeling she had when he touched her waist or kissed her cheek. It was not comparable to the kisses she received from the men in her family. When Ben touched her, she experienced butterflies, her heartbeat skipped, and her breath froze in anticipation.

Tomorrow, she would definitely get that book from the shelf. What's more, she would speak to Charlotte and share the book with her. Since she had a mother, she likely learned all about the techniques of such an act.

If she didn't know, she would ask Ben. Asking her brothers would only embarrass them. This would also test Ben to see if he would indeed talk to her about anything.

*

The maid woke Vivian when she entered to light a fire to take the chill off the room. After she left, Vivian rose from bed to take a look outside to check the sky. Yesterday had been a lovely day but today the clouds were building. She had little hope it would clear up so she could go for a ride with Ben. Regardless, she would spend time with him and that was what she wanted.

Last night she had learned her lesson on fashion. The green dinner gown she had worn had not been a good choice. Ruth had asked if she was feeling ill. Charlotte intervened and said the yellow tinge in the green color was responsible for her looking ill.

That gown would now be given away or burned. She opened her wardrobe and began going through her clothes searching for any material of that color. Luckily, there was nothing more. She proceeded to choose what she would wear to Ben's. Because of the weather, she chose a black riding skirt with a train and a matching fitted jacket. A white blouse with gold stripes was chosen to wear with it.

After she was dressed, she stared at her reflection deciding the outfit gave her a more mature look. With her hair braided down her back and a gold ribbon threaded in it, she was pleased. At the back of her mind, she wondered if today he would kiss her. If he didn't, she would ask him why.

She hurried downstairs to the library. After entering, she shut the door behind her and climbed the stairs leading to the landing of the second level of the bookcase. A sliding ladder was moved to the location of the book and she carefully climbed it to reach the book she wanted. The small size conveniently fit inside the large pockets of her skirt.

Tugging the train of her skirt up, she climbed down the ladder and then slid it back to where it belonged before going down the steps. When she closed the library door, she heard her father's voice in the breakfast room.

She entered and approached to kiss his cheek. "Good morning, Father."

He smiled and noticed her clothing. "A ride today doesn't look promising."

"You are likely correct. However, if the sun comes out I will be dressed for it. Radley will want to spend time with Charlotte. I also look forward to spending some time with her." He nodded with acceptance. Perhaps he knew arguing would cause a fight between them.

* * *

Ben stood at the window with his coffee as he waited for Vivian's arrival. He considered the conversation he had with Lord Brighton last night. Even though he had sound reasons for postponing the wedding, he refused to take the decision away from Vivian. Though postponing it would allow time to become better acquainted and comfortable in each other's company. Today would be a good test. He had work to do and she wanted to help. If such bored her, she could visit with Charlotte.

The relationship between Radley and Charlotte was challenging. Because of his actions last eve, he would like to know what Radley has said to her. Whatever it was, it worked to gain her compliance even though he had taken her from the room with his hand clasped around her arm. If she hadn't wished to go, she would have likely bloodied his nose. Being raised with brothers, she had learned to fight.

To my readers:

This chapter should give you a good idea of where these relationships are heading. Most young girls at sixteen are thinking of romance. With Vivian's life planned out for her with a prearranged marriage, she would be very curious. Without a mother, she would be seeking answers. What and how she learns should be fun to read.

Hope you enjoyed it. I'd love to hear your comments. Please, REMEMBER TO VOTE... and thanks for reading.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7K 308 32
a story how a young woman fell in love with a man through a forced marriage ••• Violet Rosé McQuoid, a 23 year old who dreamt to become a doctor to c...
69K 1.5K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
722K 27.9K 65
Sophia Bennett, a 23 year old woman, looking for a job which will pay her enough to use that money to pay off the debt she had taken for her sister's...
477K 22.2K 13
( COMPLETED STORY) What happens when the rakish Lord in the whole of London is truly falling in love with a simple, plain, and most ordinary girl, so...