The Known (On Hold)

Bởi Grattsfan

Charlotte Jennifer Gordon, aka Charlie or C.J., is a sister, best friend, girlfriend, soccer player and ... b... Xem Thêm

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103

60

1.4K 88 24
Bởi Grattsfan

Charlotte lays on her hotel room bed, Facetiming Mal while she awaits Ashley finishing up in the bathroom after their training session.

"How are you feeling about the teams' chances on Friday and overall?"

"We've been working hard in practice the past few days, I think that we have as good a chance as any team does to make it to the final and as for Friday, we're matched up against Nicaragua, I don't think they should pose a threat to us." 

"Hope not. I wish I was there to watch you play. I miss you." 

"I miss you too, Baby, but once this tournament is over we will have a couple of weeks together." 

"I can't wait. Oh, when you get a chance can you send my Mom the link for that chicken parmigiana you made? I told her how awesome it turned out, so she wants to try it out for herself." 

Charlotte smiles and nods, "Sure, let me grab my laptop and I'll do it while I think of it." 

Charlotte grabs her computer from the table where it was plugged in and charging and turns it on. "Is that the only recipe that you want me to send her, Babe?"

"Oh, can you send the sweet potato fries one as well?" 

Charlotte laughs, "Mal, all that was involved with that was cutting them up, seasoning, oiling and baking them." 

"Please?" Mal smiles at her through the screen. 

"Fine, but only because I'm a sucker for your cute face." 

Charlotte locates the links and attaches them to an email, before sending them on to Karen. 

"Alright, tell your Mom to check her email." 

Charlotte sees Karen give her a thumbs up in the background and assumes that means she received them. 

Ashley comes out of the bathroom and yells Hello to Mal before she finishes getting dressed. 

"Mal, Ash is out of the shower now, so I'm gonna go. Love you and I'll message you later, okay?" 

"Okay, Babe, Love you. Bye." 

"Bye." 

Once the call is hung up, Charlotte puts her phone down and grabs some clothes to put on from the dresser. 

"Hey, Charlie, can I use your computer for Netflix? I forgot to charge mine." 

"Yeah, but don't watch the Office without me, I kinda like it." 

"Fine, I'll put on Brooklyn 99 instead." 

"K, be out shortly." 

Charlotte heads into the bathroom and gets herself set up to shower and clean up, while Ashley collects her laptop and sets it down in front of herself. 

Scanning over the file folders on the desktop, she can't help but notice one of to the side labelled "Revelation," as her interest is piqued, and as she hears the water running in the bathroom, she decides to click on the folder and open it up, to see what it is all about.

Once the file loads up, she looks at the title page that simply has the word Revelation centred on it and shrugs, wondering if she has stumbled upon her friend's version of a journal or a diary and considering closing it, before scrolling down and realizing that it comes off more like a book then either of those. She debates continuing to read it or closing the folder and trying to forget what she saw, but being the curious type, she begins to scroll down and read the words on the screen, getting to the 10th page before her mind is blown. "Nathaniel Richmond?" "There is no way, this is just a coincidence, right?" Ash looks around the room as if seeking a response from the empty space that will explain what she just read. 

Continuing to scroll downward, the words, places and names become more familiar to her, and she covers her face, before letting out a, "Holy shit! It can't be!" 

Charlotte walks out of the bathroom to collect her hairbrush and hears her friend engaged in a conversation with herself and silently laughs to herself before responding, "What can't be, Ash? Don't tell me I missed the Pontiac Bandit dude, I like him, he's hilarious." 

Ashley doesn't respond to her and continues to stare at the screen in front of her instead. Charlotte walks over to see what has garnered her attention, and when she sees her book open there, she quickly slams down the laptop, "I can explain. Just let me finish getting dressed and I will explain everything, Ash." 

She places the laptop back on the table before heading into the bathroom and quickly throwing on her comfies and pulling her hair up into a ponytail. Once that is taken care of she sits down beside a still clearly in shock, Ashley and takes her hand. 

"Ask me the question, I know you want to." 

"Are you... I mean, how? what? Oh my God, I'm so confused." 

"Ash, takes some breaths and listen to me. I'm the same person I was 10 minutes ago." 

Ashley pulls her hand away, shakes her head and fights with her emotions, "You aren't, who are you? And why is that on your computer?"

"I'm Charlotte Jennifer Gordon, but I'm also J.C. Glass, the mysterious writer behind "The Known, Into The Unknown and Know-How. What you read is a book I am currently working on called Revelation, which is in effect a prequel to the entire series. As you can see it's not done yet." 

"Are you screwing with me, Charlie? because if, so this isn't very nice." 

Charlotte laughs, "I promise you that I'm not, everything I just said is the truth." 

"You're really, J.C. Glass?" 

"I am."

"Prove it to me, because so far all I've seen is the beginning of what looks like a book." 

Charlotte smiles, "Alright prepare to have your mind blown." She collects her laptop and types in a file name bringing up the original draft of The Known with her name on the title page."

"Oh my God, it really is you, I mean, J.C. Glass is you, holy shit! This is insane, my bestie is J.C. Glass, woah."

"You good, Ash?" 

Ashley nods and looks at her, "So, wait, are you like rich? because those books have been atop the bestseller list forever and now there's a movie coming out, right?" 

Charlotte nods, "Let's just say that I have a rather substantial bank account and because of scheduling, it may be two years before the movie is released. Do you have any questions for me?" 

"Does Mal, know?" 

"She does. Ash, I hope it goes without me needing to say it, but, I need you to promise to keep this information to yourself and not tell anyone, even Jessie." 

"Why don't you want people to know that you wrote them? They are amazing and you should be incredibly proud of them. I mean, I'm just finding out that my bestie has kept the biggest secret ever from me and I can't help but feel happy and proud of you at the same time as being shocked and well, I guess also somewhat disappointed that I had to find out this way and not by you telling me yourself." 

"I get that, and I'm really sorry, Ash. I never expected the books to take off and do as well as they are; I originally wrote them as a means to help me overcome the grief I was feeling about losing my father, he was actually the one who came up with the original concept of The Known, not me. I wrote them under a pseudonym because, when I originally submitted them under my own name, they got rejected and it hurt to come home to the letters of rejection. One of the letters suggested that perhaps if the books were written by someone other than Charlotte J. Gordon, they would be better received, and soon Kenz came up with the name J.C. Glass and it went from there. In case you are wondering the J stands for Jason, which was my Dad's name and the C for Charlotte, which is of course my name and Glass just because it's a play on being transparent." 

"But why do you not want the world to know who you really are? I would be shouting it from the rooftops and telling anyone who would listen." 

"It started out as a means to create intrigue and sell the books and soon it became a huge part of the identity or lack thereof identity of J.C. Glass. When The Known starting taking off, people became more interested in knowing who I was and there was an is tons of theories out there as to my real identity and people were actively searching me out and continue to do so. With more sales and publicity, it just became easier to remain anonymous in order to be able to live a normal life without constant outside interference and concerns for the safety of those I care about, including Mal. When I signed with my publisher the lore of J.C. Glass's real identity and keeping it a secret was built into the contract and remains so that they help protect me."

"Ash, I didn't start out wanting to become an author, it just came to me and for that, I will be forever thankful, but right now I just want to be Charlie, the soccer player from Stanford and Mal's girlfriend. Hopefully, you knowing all of this doesn't change our relationship, I love you, Ash; you are my best friend and I really am sorry that I kept this info from you. I promise that in the future there will be no more secrets between us. Can you forgive me?" 

Ashley looks at her and smiles, "So, I guess this means you are an even bigger brain that I already thought you were." 

Charlotte laughs, "Possibly, are we okay?" 

"The way I figure it, a new board would go a long way towards making us okay." 

"I'm willing to bet that you already have one picked out." 

Ashley nods, "Yep." 

"Alright, when we get back to Cali, I'll hook you up." 

"Awesome! Thanks, Charlie." 

They share a hug and then separate, "You know, the more I think about it, the more things are starting to fall into place. I always wondered about Mal's apartment and how she could afford it, not to mention the never-ending supply of fresh kicks you are always sporting." 

"Guilty, but a girl's gotta have legit kicks in order to play her best on the pitch, and be styling off it, right?" 

"How about you hook me up with some of your legit kicks when we get back." 

"Maybe, if you're nice, I will." 

"Should I call Mal and tell her that you made me cry?" 

"She would laugh at you if you did." 

"She probably would. You still up for watching the Office with me?" 

"Totally!"

"Hey Charlie, does Finn know?"

"He does. He's actually responsible for designing the covers of my books and maintaining my webpage."

"Cool."

After watching some episodes of the Office, they both curl up for a well-deserved nap. Waking up to the alarm that serves as a reminder to Ashley that her newly-minted girlfriend, Jessie and her Canadian teammates are getting set to open the tournament with a match against Costa Rica. 

They set up Charlotte's laptop and click on the CONCACAF stream of the match, watching as Canadians comes back from being down a goal at the end of the first half to defeat the Costa Rican's 3 - 1 on the back of two goals from Jordyn Huitema and another from Gabby Carle. 

Once the game finishes up they head downstairs to join their teammates for supper and some team bonding before calling it a night in advance of their game the following evening. 

Charlotte completes her nighttime routine and after dropping her dirty clothes, climbs under the covers and can't help but smile at her roommate as her and Jessie, Facetime before bed.

She collects her phone and pulls up Mal's contact before typing out a message

New Message

C.J.: Sorry, I didn't message sooner, had an eventful afternoon. Ash knows about my alter ego, she found the Revelation folder on my desktop. 

Mally: Told you that you should have renamed the folder. How did she take it?

C.J.: We've talked it through and I think that we are good, although I did promise to buy her a new board when we get back home. 

Mally: And? What else?

C.J.: Maybe a couple of pairs of new kicks as well. 

Mally: In other words, you are going on a shopping spree. 

C.J.: Probably. Anyways, how was your day? 

Mally: Good. Mom's chicken didn't taste as good as yours.

C.J.: That's because I added a special ingredient to mine - ❤️.

Mally: Well, I ❤️ U. 

C.J.: 💏🤗

Mally: 🥰

C.J.: U R my 🌎and I ❤️ U. I can't wait to have you back in my arms. 

Mally: Same. Soon, Baby. Time for you to get some 😴. We will talk tomorrow. ❤️U. 

C.J.: Sweet dreams, beautiful. 

Mally: Night, C.J.

Charlotte takes one last look at the screen before closing the app, smiling at the background picture on her phone and then ensuring that it is plugged in and ready for the morning.

"Night Ash, Night, Jessie." 

"Night, Charlie. Night." 

"Hey, Canada, don't keep her on the phone much longer, she's bear when she doesn't get enough sleep." 

"Trust me, I know all about it, Charlie."

Charlotte turns over and gets comfortable while Ash finishes her call with Jessie. 

"We should probably hang up now, Ashy, so you can sleep." 

"Yeah. Night, Jess." 

"Night, Ash."

Ashley plugs her phone in and turns to face Charlotte, "Hey, Charlie?" 

"Yeah?" 

"I understand the need to keep your real identity a secret, and don't worry, your secret is safe with me. You're my best friend and I've got your back." 

"Thanks, Ash, you have no idea how much that means to me." 

"Question - does Alana know?" 

Charlotte shakes her head, "No, but I think that I will tell her soon because I've come close to letting it slip out a few times already." 

"Sounds like a good idea. Do you ever plan on revealing it to everyone?" 

"I want to be able to finish school in relative anonymity and on my own merits, not based on how much is in my account. After I graduate, then it's a strong possibility." 

"Put me down for a front-row seat when you do." 

"That's a given. Night, Ash." 

"Night, Charlie." 

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

395K 24K 83
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
1.3M 54.6K 100
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
179K 5.2K 68
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
9.5M 310K 52
"you're all mine; the hair, the lips, the body, it's all mine." highest previous rankings: - #1 in jimin - #1 in pjm - #1 in btsfanfic cover by: @T...