The Empress Wears Gucci

By FloraDuong

*2nd editing* If you like historical, harem affair dramas, and the underdog rising to regality, you will lik... More

00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90 (EPILOGUE)
JAXON (ALT ENDING)
THE EMPEROR (ALT ENDING)
A/N
New Book!

72

1.2K 63 3
By FloraDuong

        Chang Ying's maids were up to something. My instincts didn't lie to me and neither did my eyes. If they wanted to stay, they wouldn't have been hidden at the back of the newer palace maids. They wanted to do something to me, and I had to know what it was.

        "Warm blessings to the Empress!" Lei Shu kowtowed.

       "At ease," I crossed my legs.

        Lei Shu raised her head. "I have information on Chang Ying's maids."

        Without a doubt, I was extremely happy that she was straight to the point. In fact, I was more than relieved. I hated prying things out of people. Lei Shu was simple and concise.

        "Speak." I motioned for more tea and held the teacup to the side of me. Snoopy slowly poured the liquid in.

        "They leave me out of everything right now because I believe they know that I am speaking to you," Lei Shu explained. Her face softened. "Something I do know is that I saw one of them leave the quarters late at night."

        I knew it. They were conspiring against me. They were some loyal maids. I hope if anything does happen to me, all ten of my maids would be down to kick some butts. If Guan Shu was here, I was sure she would. She was always loyal to me.

         Hua Er snapped her head to face me. "Who would they be talking to late at night? Perhaps it is just an affair? We can't come to these conclusions."

        Suspecting other maids of conspiring against me was far-fetched. However, this was Chang Ying's maids. They had a strong motive, and they had the smarts. I slowly drank the tea. Hua Er watched as I put the teacup down on the tray Snoopy held. I cleared my throat. "We can because there was no reason for Chang Ying's maids to hide behind the newer palace maids."

        "Empress," Feng Xi looked at me. I turned to look at her and nodded. "Chang Ying's maids looked out of place. When you were approaching Lady Fei Ruo, they were glaring."

        I looked around at my maids. "Can you all confirm this?"

        They nodded. 

        "They're all cowards," I snarled as I uncrossed my legs. "By the end of this week, I'll get rid of them. You all don't need to worry about it."

        Lei Shu looked up at me. A wave of confusion washed over me. Why was Lei Shu a maid when I was the Empress? She was technically my mother. The late empress's mother was able to live with her. I gasped at my sudden realisation and looked at Hua Er.

       She raised an eyebrow. "What is it, Your Majesty?"

       "Lei Shu," I faced her mother. "From now on, you are not a maid. You will live in a palace near mine."

       "Empress, I'm doing fine as a—"

       "How can I let my own family live like this? Lei Shu, get out of your maid attire," I turned to look at Feng Xi. "Take her measurements and dress her well. Let His Majesty know that I am making this arrangement."

       "Yes, Your Majesty." Feng Xi bowed and hurried off. 

        The doors of my estate quickly opened. I raised an eyebrow at Lian Ying. He walked in here for a long time. I wasn't going to visit the Emperor today, nor was he going to visit me. I thought we established that but Lian Ying bowing to me said otherwise.

         Weird.

        "Empress, the Emperor is requesting you." Lian Ying kept his head down.

        I stood up. I refused the assistance from the maids around me and quickly stepped down. I turned to Lei Shu. "You can leave now, thank you for your time."

         Before I left, I changed my attire to a red hanfu. No more white, that was what Su Yin said.

          During the ride there, I peeked out the curtain. I watched Lian Ying walk forwards, leading the other eunuchs. Carefully, I craned my neck out of the window. "Do you know why His Majesty is requesting me for?"

         "I believe it is a matter for only you and His Majesty, Empress." Lian Ying replied without looking back. 

        "How about a hint?" I asked, smiling.

        He turned back and shrugged. "I apologize, Your Majesty."

        I threw back the curtains and let a small groan out. Tough. 

         By the time we got there, the Emperor was already standing in front of the doorway. This time, well prepared. I greeted him and he took my hand and lead me up to his throne. As we settled down, I questioned why he wanted me here. 

        However, I wasn't annoyed. It was better than being back at my estate doing nothing. The Emperor was good company. 

        "This is quite unexpected." I made a quick remark as a maid slowly filled my cup with water. My eyes stayed on the Emperor's face. He let out a chuckle but said nothing more. 

         After I took a sip and popped a grape in my mouth, he spoke. "Niu Lin is pregnant."

         I almost choked on the grape. 

         I didn't know what to reply to that statement so I kept my mouth shut. Niu Lin wasn't getting on my nerves, I even forgot about her sometimes. Niu Lin defending the new palace maid against Fei Ruo was a shock. She could've stayed in silence and watched it play out.

        Perhaps she changed. 

          "She has been keeping up a good behaviour and I may remove her from the blacklist," the Emperor concentrated on the grapes in front of him. He popped two in his mouth and looked at me. "Will you allow promoting her?"

          I nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty. I agree. Niu Lin has kept up her good behaviour and I will promote her if you'd like... But I want someone else promoted."

        Niu Lin wasn't the only person that I wanted to promote. The power was in my hands. I wanted to promote Su Yin as well. I knew the Emperor would eventually have me promote Su Yin when she gives birth.

        But I didn't want her to continue being an Imperial Concubine.

        "Who?" the Emperor stared at me. 

        "Imperial Concubine Lee, Su Yin," I responded, nodding to myself. "She's going to give birth very soon."

        The Emperor paused for a little. He narrowed his eyes in thought while I watched him in silence. I highly doubted he remembered that she was pregnant. Su Yin has been neglected for quite some time now. 

         He rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb before turning to look at me again. He nodded. "As you wish, Empress."

         I had to promote two women in the morning assembly tomorrow. I told the Emperor to hold off the Imperial decree until I spoke with Niu Lin. Niu Lin can still be an enemy, waiting to strike, and I needed to be reassured. 

          She didn't use the estate I granted her anymore, which is what I noticed. Because once I walked in, it was empty. All her stuff was gone. I dismissed the eunuchs and wished to walk to see Niu Lin.

          Still calmly walking, I headed straight to the Hall of the Supreme Principle, the concubine quarters.

          Idle enemies were dangerous, this I know. Niu Lin has been quiet for quite some time and I'm worried if she was plotting something sinister. This was the time to walk in her chamber and lay some ground rules. 

          While walking, I noticed Bao Zhai and her maids walking towards me. She held a soft look on her face. "Happiness and peace to the Empress."

         I was going to get rid of her so I might as well be kind to her. 

         "Have a good stroll," I responded curtly and continued my way past her.

         When I approached Niu Lin inside, she smiled and kneeled to bow. "Joy and bliss to the Empress."

         "Please don't kneel, you're pregnant," I said.

          Niu Lin quickly rose and peered behind my shoulder. I was with no one but myself. She recognized that. "I've missed you wearing a beautiful colour of red... What brings you here, Empress?"

          "His Majesty asked me to promote you," I replied. I looked around her room. Messy and disorganized but I still didn't understand why the palace I granted her was empty. 

         She raised her eyebrows and blinked a few times. Her genuine surprise was alarming because I expected her to know. Besides, she was the daughter of a high-ranking official, I believe. Niu Lin had it easy. A small smile spread on her face when I looked at her. 

        "I agreed, but under one condition." I continued.

        The smile slowly faded. 

        I debated on congratulating her on her pregnancy. It was the least I could do, but I was drained. Making sure all five pregnant women were healthy, is tiring sometimes. I do want good health in this harem, but it'd be nice if someone helped me.

        Since Chang Ying was gone, everything was all given for me to handle. I may have wanted Niu Lin to be promoted so we can share half of the work. Was that selfish of me? 

          "Anything, Your Majesty." Niu Lin nodded once, then looked at her maids. They pulled out a chair for me to sit on and I immediately accepted. When I sat down, Niu Lin sat across from me.

          "I take the harem seriously, that is my job," I adjusted the chair. "You must not harm nor harass anyone here. Do not take advantage of your title."

          I cleared my throat. "As an empress, I don't trust anyone. We had negative tension between us, and if you do conspire against me, I will be glad to strip away your title and have you executed. I do not tolerate any nonsense."

          To my surprise, Niu Lin didn't talk back. I stopped talking and waited for her response but she only stared back at me. She held her chin up with a smile on her face. While she looked at me, her head was slowly shaking. 

        "Your Majesty, you don't get it. You don't see how you've changed me," Niu Lin let out a playful laugh. "I haven't spoken in an ill-manner about anyone. I haven't harassed anyone. You, Empress, have succeeded without bringing anyone down, and if you did, it was for the best."

         I opened my mouth to speak, but she wasn't finished.

        She placed her hand on the top of the lid of her cup. "I realised that it was wrong of me to act like that. I have a child in my stomach now, I am satisfied that His Majesty still likes me... I would apologize to you a thousand times, Your Majesty, because I have changed."

        Niu Lin let out a relieved sigh, still softly smiling at me. She lifted the lid from her cup and slowly drank from the cup.

       Although I would grant her the title, I wouldn't trust her. Niu Lin is pregnant. She has a child. She might be sucking up to me to protect herself and her baby. It was reasonable and I understood, but she didn't have to say all of that. Unless she meant it.

        "Niu Lin, I went to the estate I granted you and everything was gone," I leaned my body back against the chair. "Why?"

        "I didn't truly earn it. I thought it wasn't virtuous of me to live in a palace in regards to something I should've done for free," Niu Lin responded as she looked up at me. "You eliminated our mutual enemy. I shouldn't have expected anything."

        Slowly, I leaned forwards again. I put my elbows on the table and narrowed my eyes slightly. My hands were still, my shoulders were stiff. I didn't expect Niu Lin to say any of these things to me. I didn't want to be naive and think she was telling the truth, but she was always predictable. 

        Regardless of whether she was telling the truth or not, I accepted it. She has been respectful. It was true. I don't need to doubt that I changed her. If I did, that means I doubted my abilities as an empress and a person. So I nodded with her and smiled back. "I am proud of you."

        I stood up and Niu Lin followed. Before I left, I turned around to face her as she walked towards me. Niu Lin lowered herself down to the floor beneath me.

        "I swear to the gods that I'l humble myself. No more jealousy," Niu Lin kept her head down. "Your Majesty, I have grown."           

        There was now one Imperial Noble Consort in the harem. It was Niu Lin. There was now another Consort. It was Su Yin. 

         Su Yin was going to give birth in two months. Her child would be mine. I pitied the women here because many times, the wet nurses would take care of the children for the most part. Everything was going well in the harem. Yet, I know that too many princes and princesses will lead to chaos. Prince Jing is an example.

        Everyone has a thirst for power. Prince Jing was willing to use the late empress as a pawn to usurp the Emperor's power. Whoever the crown prince was going to be, I was hoping that he'd belong to Su Yin. All children were mine. I could rule over this nation once I think about it... 

         "Your Majesty," one of my maids gently bowed. "Did you say you wanted to visit Consort Hu?"

        I snapped out of my thoughts and nodded quickly. 

        "Yes," I said, letting her help me get up from the seat. My sedan chair was ready. "I still have some suspicions about that girl."

         "As you should, Empress," she responded, bowing again before me as I walked outside. 

        Hua Fa was going to get a surprise visit from me. I loved giving surprise visits. It gives fear in their eyes whenever I go to them uninvitingly. There were times where Li Shu would have to announce my presence and I'll get a little sad. 

         Here was the tricky part. I don't know what Hua Fa wanted with me. She stared at me, looked at me in awe. Sometimes the concubines will suck up to you for their benefit. Hua Fa was a very strange girl to me. It wasn't a bad thing. I just wanted to know what she wanted. She's gotten a promotion, the Emperor has doted on her; I believe that the Emperor likes her the most out of the newer concubines.

          Niu Lin's promotion was strictly political, I believe. 

          I had no jealousy for any of the women. I knew the Emperor favoured me the most. Even if he didn't, he didn't have any other option anyway. I was the right fit for having the title of 'Empress.' There was no one else but me.

        If there is, I'll eliminate them before they can conspire against me.

        "Happiness and peace to the Empress!" Hua Fa quickly kneeled and bowed gracefully. She held a bright smile on her face.

         Her maids followed quickly. One of them was the late empress's maid. I hope she doesn't do anything reckless, because she'll put her own mistress in harm. I sensed Hua Fa wouldn't be someone who schemed, but looks can be deceiving... I would know.

         "At ease." I stood up straighter.

         They pushed themselves up. "Thank you, Empress."

        "You look very tired," I narrowed my eyes slightly to study Hua Fa's face. Light eyebags and dull, smaller eyes today. "Are you ill?"

         I was still worried about her well-being. I didn't want to hear that there were more quarrels and harassment. Niu Lin wasn't who they followed anymore. I was worried if Fei Ruo was going to be the ultimate bully.

          Hua Fa weakly smiled at me and blinked a few times. "I'm not ill, Your Majesty. You are kind enough to care for my health... I'm just staying up late now."

         "Why? You must sleep," I walked closer towards her and held her wrists. "If you don't sleep, you're going to get darker eye circles."

         "Of course, but I have trouble sleeping at night. I've asked Her Highness to prescribe sleeping medicine to me, Your Majesty," Hua Fa responded. She let out a slight chuckle. "Did the eldest princess tell you to check up on me?"

          Although I could have lied to her, I didn't. I shook my head. Hua Fa got the hint and nodded, looking away from me now. Did she sense that I wanted to interrogate her? Did she sense that I wanted to ask her things? I wasn't going to, but did she sense that? 

        After all, she's heard about me. My 'heroism' wasn't the most pleasing thing people like to hear about me. A woman fighting assassins? I thought the Emperor would behead me for even trying to protect him.

        I sat down next to her and slowly faced her. "I just wanted to make sure everything is alright. You've laid with the Emperor quite recently, and I was wondering if..."

        Hua Fa looked taken aback. Either I was bad at making excuses, or that I was too blunt. Maybe it was both? Was it wrong to be concerned about the concubines? Or future offsprings? 

        "I-Uh, no... No! No," she shook her head. "Empress, I really admire what you have done for us..."

        She changed the topic.

        I listened to the noise of the liquid hitting the bottom of my cup. Her maid handed it to me. It was the late empress's maid. Carefully, I took the cup and set it next to me.  

        Obviously, I wasn't going to drink it. 

        "What do you mean?"

       "My sister wanted to study medicine. She is also a very smart girl who loves to acquire knowledge," Hua Fa explained. "But that is a taboo, isn't it, Your Majesty?"

        Without moving a muscle, I nodded to listen to her story.

         "You allowed her to study things that boys can study and we appreciate it," she looked at me and beamed. "I received a letter this morning and she said to thank you."

        I don't know if sending letters was illegal here, but I chose to accept it. Eunuchs were supposed to check over the letters before it was sent out, I believe. The late empress had maneuvered around that.

        Realising what I just heard, I genuinely smiled to myself. I didn't know what else to say. I've done well here, I was proud of myself. Hua Yang benefitted and now, many women will be treated more seriously now. The officials were probably against it. The Emperor sacrificed a bit of his reputation to demand this, but it was worth it. 

        Still, I don't understand why the Emperor was so open-minded. Was it his nature? Or was he whipped for me?

        "Thank His Majesty as well," I looked at the embroidery of a normal grey owl, resting on her wall. It was kind of cute actually. Hua Fa reminded me of a toddler sometimes. She must have noticed because she turned to where I was looking at. I looked away from the owl. "His Majesty was the one to approve of it. Without his open-mindedness, your sister wouldn't have been that lucky..."

        Hua Fa pouted slightly. "Empress, you really must love His Majesty."

        I nodded. 

       Gah! I hoped that looked like a realistic 'I'm-in-love' face because this was seriously going to look bad on my end.

        "And His Majesty really must love you." Hua Fa grinned.

        Again, I nodded. This time, a little more genuinely. 

        "But I hope you're not mad at me, Your Majesty." Hua Fa whispered. She peered up at me as she slightly tilted her head down. I raised an eyebrow. She studied my face and looked away, fidgeting with her hanfu sleeves.

         "Why should I be mad at you?" I asked, clenching my jaw.

        "I... There's always these rumours that you were disguised as a man. That would be the only way you can fight off those assassins," Hua Fa explained, almost mumbling the words. "I sent a letter to my sister telling her that you were the most beautiful woman I've ever seen."

        Have I gone delusional that I thought she did something wrong to me? I was questioning whether I should suspect her or not. I don't know if this was just a ploy to get her closer to me, but it wasn't working. Although I enjoyed being complimented, I still had my suspicions raised.

         I hope she doesn't think I'm easy to play around with because she's in for a surprise. None of the women in the harem suspected me to be the culprit of Chang Ying's death. Everyone just assumed she confessed her murder of Wan Er's son. I liked the story better because it still had virtue written all over it.

        I also liked the story better because it didn't involve me.

        After Hua Fa finished talking, I let out a laugh. "I'm going to be mad at you for that?"

        Hua Fa bit her bottom lip. "She went around telling the entire village and I think it spread... I believe giving too many details about the Palace may lead to... severe punishment."

        With all the goodness in my heart, I tried my best not to give her a strange look. She sat there in silence. I don't know what to respond with that, but I couldn't hold in my laugh. 

        I laughed joyfully, throwing my head back. Her innocence was funny. I didn't even care if she was genuine or not. "I appreciate that. You debunked the myth, I am glad."

          But she didn't laugh with me. A small glint flickered in her eyes and she let out a heavy sigh. When I stopped myself from smiling, she looked at me. "Your Majesty, I know that you might not trust me... I just want to let you know that I am on your side."

         I furrowed my eyebrows at her random remark. Hua Fa looked away from me. For some reason, I couldn't see her deceiving me any time soon but it was just... random. It was weird and too sudden. Everything she did was suspicious but I couldn't put my finger on what her intentions were.

        Was it to compliment me and make me favour her? 

        Or something else? Was I slowly embodying the paranoia of the late empress?

        I didn't speak after. She was weird, really weird, and until she showed me she wasn't going to come after me, I was still going to suspect her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Blind and Bereft By mimi

Historical Fiction

233K 25.1K 92
In order to uncover the mystery behind her sister's death, Li Jingrui will stop at nothing even if she must become a palace maid to serve a stern bas...
998K 51.2K 73
‟Tonight shall be the first and last night that we spend together, Gianita, for I do not intend to produce heirs by this marriage. The Prince would s...
86.2K 3.1K 178
The Emperor's Concubine duology. Book one and two are combined. *** The Emperor's Concubine *** The world seems harsh and cruel, especially when you'...
EMPRESS LIU By Desi Turtle

Historical Fiction

292K 10.2K 55
When Liu Changsheng came into the Emperor's household marrying the fourth Prince he had no ambition at all. He was just a fool in love. He was assaul...