My Fearless Leader | Leonardo...

Par TrueLeaderInBlue

"Don't be embarrassed. I like that you can't focus around me." "I am completely capable of focusing around y... Plus

You Meet (Part 1)
You Meet (Part 2)
Meeting Again
{Open Requests}
Meeting His Brothers
He Plays w Your Hair/Getting to Know Each Other
Going to Murakami's (Part 1)
Going to Murakami's (Part 2)
The Talk (Bonus Chapter)
Movie Night
When He Yells at You
Meeting April and Casey
Moving In (Part 1)
Moving In (Part 2)
City Lights
When He Hurts You (Part 1)
When He Hurts You (Part 2)
When He Hurts You (Part 3)
He's Jealous
You Go to a Party
He Asks You Out
The Date
Japanese Flirting
The Monthly Tide
Insecurities
He "Cooks"
You and the Boys Prank Leo
Protective and Possessive
Mating Season
Staying at April's
You Return to the Lair
Encounters
{A/N: questions for readers}
Surprise
The Second Date
Questions, Confusion, and More Questions
Trapped
Not So Sweet A Torture
Desperate
Extreme Measures
Pain Has Many Faces
Say Goodbye
On the Edge
Bandaids and Bullet Holes
Step by Step
Someone To Fall Back On
Movie Night: the Second One
If You'll Leave the Light On - Pt. 1
If You'll Leave the Light On - Pt. 2
Days Like These
Back to School - Part 1
Back to School - Part 2
I've Never Been Happier
Seriously, I've Never Been Happier In My Life
Halloween
Barriers
One Step Forward, Two Steps Back
The Still Place
Hold On
Relaxation Day
It's An Intimate Get Together
Two and a Half Dates

Road to Recovery

4.9K 120 376
Par TrueLeaderInBlue

"What's going on?" Mikey was the first to speak in the midst of the silence that followed.

"Yeah, you're starting to freak us out here," Raph griped, sounding more nervous than he intended.

Leo looked to Splinter for a moment, waiting for some cue. When he saw how much he was struggling to begin the conversation, he spoke again before anyone could notice.

"Okay... It turns out that, the reason Karai has been so hell bent on destroying us, is because she thinks Splinter is the reason her mother is dead."

"What?"

April shook her head. "Why would she think that?"

"Because that's what Shredder's been telling her this whole time. That Splinter killed her. And when I tried to tell her the truth... well, she wasn't very open minded about it."

"So that's what she meant when she kept mentioning you lying about her family..." Casey concluded, picking at his bandaid.

April shook her head. "Why? Why would you expect her to believe you?"

"Because Leonardo knows the truth." Splinter answered, and they all looked to him. Leo felt uneasy with anticipation, knowing what he was about to do. Before anyone could ask, Splinter went on, all eyes and ears trained on him. "That the child I had with Tang Shen, the child I thought I lost so many years ago... is Karai."

"Hold on– what?" Raphael scoffed and looked to Leo, whose face said everything. "... That can't be right."

"Wait... who?" Casey mumbled, confused and trying his best to focus in his hazy state.

"Guys–"

April's eyes widened and she stood up. "She's your daughter? No, that's not possible."

"Are you saying... Karai's our sort-of-sister?!"

"But, Sensei–"

"Guys!" Leo yelled over the small crowd, getting them to quiet. He saw Splinter getting overwhelmed and tried to draw attention, to give him a moment. "I know it's a lot, but we have to hear him out first. Try to understand."

Donnie nodded, and slowly straightened his back and faced the whole room. "This is going so fast, can we just... slow down?"

A few seconds later and silence had settled in, like the room was taking in a deep breath. No one spoke until the elder stepped forward.

"I should explain." Splinter prompted, and prepared himself to relive the story from almost two decades ago.

"You all already know the story of how I came to America... and the events leading up to my decision. But I did not tell you everything. I will do so now." Leo's hands clenched and unclenched. Something felt so wrong about hearing the story this time. He shouldn't have to tell everyone this until he was ready, and Leo couldn't help but feel responsible for his part in this, too. "When the battle began the night I lost my family, I left Tang Shen outside to stay with our child and stay safe. But she insisted on not letting us fight, and when she ran in to stop us, she left our baby outside.

"She ran in between us before we could realize, and a blow from Saki that was meant for me, hit Tang Shen, and it took her life." Leo looked from his sensei to his brothers and April. Aside from Casey, they had all heard the story before, but they still hadn't heard the truth behind it yet. And besides Donatello, whose eyes seemed to be working it out, he could tell they hadn't even realized it yet.

Splinter went on to tell the rest of the story in Japan. The fire, Tang Shen dying in his arms, losing his daughter in the fire, and Oroku Saki getting away, leaving him and his family to perish.

"In my first battle here with the Shredder, you four were occupied with the Kraang portal and saving April. I came very close to defeating him that night. But Karai stopped me before I could deliver the blow... And when I saw her..." He stopped, staring off. Mikey sat up slowly, ready to offer consolation if he needed it. "I knew she was the child I thought I lost. That Saki didn't let her perish in the fire as well. He took her, and raised her to believe he was her father... and that I was the one to take Tang Shen away from her."

Leo looked at all of them, adding his piece. "Karai couldn't handle it when I insisted that Splinter was her true father. Because she has no idea."

"I'm so sorry, Sensei." April spoke softly.

Mikey's eyes widened. "Tang Shen was Karai's mother this whole time?"

"Miwa..." Donnie mumbled. He looked up, all eyes were on him. "That's what you called Karai just now, back at Shredder's lair... I had almost forgotten that... that was the name you gave to your daughter seventeen years ago..."

"That is correct. I saw the same little infant I knew so well, so long ago. There is no question, little Miwa has grown up under the corruption of The Shredder. He has poisoned her mind against me, and against all of you. But her reasonings for what she has done, no matter how misled, have stretched too far."

"Wait a minute..." Raph spoke up, and Leo sighed as he turned to him. "You knew this whole time?"

"And you actually tried to tell her this?" Donnie's eye ridge raised in question.

"And you didn't tell us?!" Raph exclaimed, getting closer.

"It wasn't my story to tell." Leo answered simply.

"Not to us, but to the merry murderess of our enemies– sure! What could go wrong?"

"It's different, it's not the same thing–"

"Does Y/n even know?"

"No. Of course not." Leo sputtered, and sighed frustratedly. "I didn't think it was right to tell her before I told you, and it didn't seem okay for you to know before Karai did, especially if Master Splinter wasn't ready for any of us to know."

"So all of this happened, because you wanted to play hero and tell the crazy girl her worst enemy is her father and that her entire life is a lie."

"No– I–" Anxiety started to creep up and grab at Leo to tear him apart.

"Wait! Maybe we should all just... breathe... just calm down." April got up before the energy could become chaotic again.

"Assigning blame will do nothing." Yoshi intercepted. "I told you so you could understand the gravity of the threat, and the weight of this vengeful burden Karai carries with her."

"Still. You went to her and– what?" Raph turned back to the leader, insistent on understanding. "Tried to tell her that the guy who she thinks is her father is the one who killed her mother? What were you thinking?!"

"It's not his fault! Karai could've done it anyway if she was mad at Master Splinter." Mikey rushes in to defend his oldest brother.

Raphael nudged Mikey's arm off, barely giving him a glance. "I'm not blaming him, I'm mad he didn't trust us. This affects us, too. You don't think we could've helped you? Or told you that telling the psycho girl that her daddy's a liar wasn't the best idea?!" He suddenly cut himself off, realizing what he just said.

Leo again looked to their father, who stood there, conflicted and broken.

"Geez, I-I'm sorry, Sensei..."

Yoshi's eyes fell closed "I know this is difficult news to process. I hope you can all forgive me for withholding the truth. I did not know how best to tell you, or when."

"Of course, Sensei. We understand." Donnie reassured sympathetically.

Leo's head started pounding. Slowly things were beginning to sink in for the group. Y/n was badly hurt, Leo had been forced to put his entire team at risk, Karai was madder now more than ever, making Mikey her first victim, and now Y/n. The reality of this generational feud passed on to the youth. And it was far from over.

Everyone looked so exhausted.

"Guys... Karai was still raised by the Shredder–"

"I think we should all just wind down and take it easy before things can get worse..." April tried once again.

"April's right." Donnie agreed and got to his feet. "We're not thinking clearly, and it's been a long day. We should all get some rest..."

Slowly, the room started to disperse. Raphael went off to his room, and Leo watched Splinter walk away when April tried to comfort him.

"I will be in my room if you need me." He uttered out, head low as he disappeared.

It was clear his brothers still had unanswered questions. He did, too. But he didn't blame Splinter for ending the conversation there. Numbly, Leo turned around and walked back into the lab in a daze.

Back to the smell of sanitary chemicals, blood and sweat. His hand reached out and grabbed at the side of a table as he dragged in, eyes on the ground. All the adrenaline had been worn away by the day's depressing turn of events.

"Hey..." He heard from behind, remaining unresponsive. April came in quietly after him, watching Leo from behind as his knees buckled.

"Leo?!" She rushed to his side, perturbed when she saw his hand over his heart as he tried to catch his breath. "What's wrong?"

Leo's face contorted, to a picture of overwhelmed distress. His hand turned into a fist.

"I-I didn't think... that when we got her back... it'd be like this." April could see the confidence had long worn off. The high had been useful, but she wondered if the low was what was crushing him like this, beyond what he never allows his family to see.

"We're in the worst of it... Things will get better." April frowned and rubbed his arm slowly.

"What if they don't?"

Beep!

Leo looked up, to Y/n shallowly breathing on the hospital, barely moving. "She's gone, April. The Y/n we knew is gone. And it's all my fault."

"Give her a chance. With you staying by her side she's going to be fine." She squeezed his arm, insistent on this hope. He was panting from all the pressure. "Donnie knows what he's doing, and Casey and I are gonna stay over. To help with you guys and make sure she's okay."

Leo stares at the ground, attempting to grasp at the words she was offering for assurance. He didn't feel much better, but what other choice did he have than to accept this hand they were dealt?

The relentless, never-say-die leader instinct in him rejected the idea that this was their reality. But the realist and protective side were winning the struggle. "Okay..."

April smiles lightly, and stood, offering her hand. "Come on. I'll help you get things ready for the night."

Hours later, and all at the lair was quiet. Every being in that home was exhausted, and the eight life forms slept heavily on towards midnight. The lab had been heavily winded down. Lights dimmed or turned off, and various beakers and test tubes rearranged so Donnie had a workspace specifically for treating Y/n, free from any accidents or spills of chemical contamination. Because Y/n couldn't move, let alone leave the room, Leo insisted on staying with her through the night. He pulled a chair up to her stolen hospital bed and watched vigil over her as time crept on.

He had tried to stay awake during the night, to be ready for anytime she might wake up. She might be disoriented, or try to get up on her own, or even think she was still at Shredder's lair. So he wanted to be there for her no matter what the case. But for the past 16 hours straight he had been hunting nearly non stop for her, and his emotional and physical meter was already running out. He had only closed his eyes for a moment of rest, but quickly he slipped off into deep slumber.

So when her heart monitor began to speed up in pace, he didn't notice. When Y/n's breathing picked up and her arm twitched, he didn't feel it nudge his head at first. Her bottom lip trembled. Her fingertips moved slowly; barely.

Her blood pressure was rising on the chart. Her head thrashed to the side as something foreign disturbed her being.

Leo didn't process very much from his senses before his eyes snapped open. He just heard a scream and an awful groaning metal sound, then something like a–

Crash!

He shot straight up, too fast for someone who had just been in a much needed deep rejuvenating sleep. He was disoriented himself. It had only been a few hours of sleep, and his surroundings almost didn't seem familiar at first. He had never seen the lab so still and lifeless.

He flinched, hearing a strained whimper. Y/n was crying out, clenching and unclenching her fists. She groaned like someone was crushing her.

Leo's body had just awoken, but now, his mind was awake and on its toes at the sight of her distress.

"Y/n, it's okay!"

Her breathing quickened; became more heavy like the oxygen levels were slowly depleting from the room. But he could see her shut eyes and lack of awareness. So she probably wasn't even conscious of her own current panic.

Maybe it was a nightmare. Night terrors, or a reaction to all the pain.

Would it be a bad idea to wake her?

"Get away from me!"

Too many things were going on for him to hear her. Her yelps of agitation only mixed with background noise he wasn't even processing, and he tried to hone in on only her. But the groan of metal twisting and scraping across the floor, glasses fell over and tools rattled on the tables; it distracted his senses.

Her body was stiff, but her head still thrashed about.

Leo gently grabbed her arm so she would know he's here.

Big mistake.

A cry of agony followed in response, making him jump away and retract his touch.

Crap.

That only seemed to make it worse. He had forgotten her paranoia and sensitivity to touch.

Suddenly her body lurched forward. Her back arched and her fingers clawed at the sheets.

"DONNIE!"

Leo called as he moved further back. She was struggling. Pulling away, but against nothing it seemed like.

With a final gasp, she collapsed back to the bed.

It became uncomfortably quiet.

She laid there, mostly still, but lightly breathing and still unconscious. Leo hadn't realized the monitor went silent, until it resumed auditing her heartbeat after seconds of silence. Quick again, but slowly coming back down to a healthier BPM. The rattling had stopped, and all the other noises he hadn't cared to notice. In the dim lighting Leo watched her outline. Her chest rose and fell in slow intervals. Leo could only stare at her, stupefied in confusion of what just happened.

Was he dreaming?

Donnie ran in, clutching his staff and looking around like he was on the verge of a heart attack. "WHAT IS IT, WHAT HAPPENED?!"

"Wha– SH!" Leo waves his hands to stop him from startling her again. Not to mention waking everyone else up in all of New York. "I don't know, she just... she was screaming again and writhing. The monitor was going crazy. Is it the pain?"

"Let me see," Donnie answered as he marched over. He wasn't looking so hot either. Lack of sleep was practically a trend for him, but over the past few months he was forced to instate a five hour minimum for himself when all of his all-nighters began getting out of control. But tonight would clearly be an exception, if his rugged state was anything to go by. His eyes were wide, even though his eyelids felt like weights.

"If her heart's racing again, I can stabilize it." He stated first. He walked over and saw the monitor on the floor, picking it back up to examine it. There was a small crack in the screen, but he didn't have time to worry over that now. The doctor swiftly got a dosage together. "I can't give her much for now but it'll help." Donnie injected her with the meds as he explained. Leo watched closely. It seemed the drug took immediate affect, because she jerked as the injection went in, and a small gasp came from her mouth. Her BPM's rose slightly.

Her eyes shot open, and for a moment, as Leo looked at her it almost seemed like they were glowing in the scarce lighting. Bright irises and dilated pupils.

He stared as she took the drug, reaching out a protective hand. But he stopped himself before he could touch her. Her eyes slowly fell back closed, and her body completely slumped into itself.

The warning tones of the monitor decrease steadily. As the tempo of her heartbeat came down, Leo felt his stress levels coming down.

"She should be knocked out cold now. She'll be ready for pain relievers in the morning. The stabilizing medicine works as a tranquilizer, too."

"But is she okay?"

Donnie considered the question, then took a moment to examine her. He shook his head and shrugged in confusion. For a moment, Leo feared for the worst.

"Donnie?!"

"She's fine."

Leo heaved a sigh of relief.

"I mean– injured still, but, whatever that fit was didn't affect her too much. I think the stress must've caused her to lash out again."

Leo looks at her too, nodding.

"Good... How was she still not awake through all of that?"

"She must be so exhausted," Don frowned and removed the washcloth from her forehead, placing his hand over her head. He dipped the cloth in the nearby water tub. "Her mind's still in a stage of frenzy and paranoia. She's trying to fight but she doesn't even know it."

"How is that possible?"

Donnie thought as he rung it out and placed the rag back on her forehead.

"It's kinda like... when you start to realize you're in the middle of having a nightmare, but you can't wake yourself up even when you know it's not real. Y/n senses something's wrong and her body is reacting, but she has no idea it's not happening anymore."

So even in her sleep she was still fighting. Leo shook his head. This was never ever supposed to happen to you.

"Odd..." He heard Don mumble, and looked up to see him steadying the swinging light above head with his staff. The light hung by four wires, and because it was so high up from everyone it was only ever disturbed by New York's occasional and sporadic earthquakes. Who knew why it was freely swinging like a pendulum now? And honestly, who cared at this hour of the night.

Neither of the two even noticed the mess just meters away from them. It was too late in the night, and they were too worried and tired.

Donnie's brain was so done at this point he was starting to feel delirious.

And Leo, he was a ninja through and through. He's stayed up days before without a wink of sleep. He was trained for physical exhaustion. But this mental and emotional stress wore down at his body more than he knew was possible.

So, the scientist and the leader, barely awake, and the two most observant eyes of the team, went on unknowingly.

Leo returned to his chair next to her bed, and Donnie stood there, watching him.

"Leo, if you need to sleep, you can go back to your room..."

"I don't want her to be alone when she wakes."

"I know. I can stay for the rest of the night. Let me take the second shift."

"No–" Leo declines quickly. "I... it needs to be me. I need to stay by her side."

"I get it... But at least get some rest, and I'll stay awake in here. You'll still be with her."

"Thanks... maybe later."

Donnie frowned. He wasn't surprised but he hoped Leo would take his advice and give himself a break. Donnie preferred to stay with Y/n, too, just in case. But he knew Leo needed some privacy, and he felt like an intruder being there in the emotional turmoil. Not to mention, he knew sticking around them would only invite his own anxiety driven thoughts to come out if he were to simply sit there and watch over her. So he left them be.

Leo tried his best to stay awake, just in case you did wake or had another episode. But his body had an easy task overriding his heart to prioritize his need for rest, and soon enough his weary head laid down again in submission.

When morning came, Leonardo woke up feeling like the night's events were just a crazy dream. When he thought about it, he didn't feel certain. The way you feel disconnected from reality after having dreams or nightmares. He wasn't sure if it happened or if he just imagined it in his sleep deprivation.

But one thing he was sure of, the grumble from his stomach was trying to send him a message, loud and clear.

"Man..." He groaned and slowly got to his feet, stretching out his limbs.

The time on his T-phone read almost eight o'clock. Almost nine hours of sleep, even counting the middle of the night. And he was still tired. 

When he looked at Y/n he felt relieved to see her sleeping peacefully. As peacefully as she's been so far... He sighed and sat back down in the chair next to her bed. He could get food later.

Meanwhile, the kitchen was occupied by Michelangelo dozing off over the stove. It was a long night for him. He had no business being up this early with the poor sleep he got, but his hunger had pulled him from slumber about fifteen minutes ago and forced him into the kitchen.

Only this time he had subconsciously fought the the calling of his stomach– which he had never done before– in trade for more sleep. He'd been tossing and turning all night and by the time he finally got to deep sleep it was past sunrise. But of course, sleep lost the battle of his greater needs.

So he stood at the stove, spatula in hand, and eyelids drooping closed as food sizzled in a pan.

"What's burning?" Raphael grimaced as he came into the room.

The sound of snoring answered part of his question, and he walked over to see a passed out Mikey standing over a poor batch of eggs and sausage in the skillet.

"Earth to Mikey!" Raph raises his voice, causing the house chef to jolt awake and jerk his spatula, making the egg fly out and splatter itself onto the ceiling. "Are you okay?"

"Don't sneak up on me like that, bro!"

"Tch, sorry." Raph smiles a little in light amusement, crossing his arms.

Mikey groaned, then looked around. He held his hands out in confusion as he stared at his empty spatula.

"Where's my creation?"

On cue, the egg flat peeled off and plopped right into the outstretched spatula. Mikey grumpily glared at the blackened egg.

"You were practically out cold." Raph leaned against the counter where they eat. "Couldn't sleep?" Mikey shook his head, dropping the rejected batch into the trash. "Yeah. It was hard getting to sleep for me, too."

A silence stretched out after the statement, causing the two to linger in their thoughts for a moment. Mikey stared down at the empty skillet on the stove.

"Is Leo gonna be okay?"

Raph looked up. "Leo?"

"Yeah. Donnie told me Y/n was doing okay and that I shouldn't worry about it. But Leo is totally buggin' about it." Mikey turned to him with questioning baby blue eyes.

Raph found himself somewhat irked at the fact Donnie would tell him that when it seemed to him it wasn't true at all. He understood Mikey was often spared certain truths, but Raphael honestly didn't know if he wanted to take Donnie's side, or spare Mikey the future pain of inevitably finding out reality later. He was innocent but he wasn't clueless. Telling him that everything was great might hurt more than help him in the long run. So he settled on a compromise.

"I hope so... As long as Y/n is doing okay then... so will he."

Mikey didn't respond. He was thinking, maybe taking a little extra time than usual due to his exhausted state. Raph got to his feet and marched over to his younger sibling.

"Alright, what are we making?" He grinned and slung a muscly arm around Mikey's shoulders. "Can't let you burn breakfast again."

The two got cracking on a new meal for the team. They had a little time until everyone would wake up, and by the time they were done, Donnie had joined Leo in the lab again. Raph led Mikey out of the kitchen, tip-toeing past April and Casey still asleep on the couch.

Donnie looked up as his brothers came in carrying four plates in their hands and pulled chairs around the hospital bed.

Mikey handed Donnie a plate, and Raph did the same for Leo. "I'm sure you don't wanna think about eating right now, but you need a break." It wasn't a request. He shoved the plate of eggs and sausage patties into Leonardo's hand and sat down at the end of the bed.

Donnie and Leo looked at each other, understanding the silent cue. Just as Leo opened his mouth to politely decline, his stomach groaned for the whole room to hear, promptly shutting him up.

Raphael raised an eye ridge, and Mikey beamed at him in agreement of his complaining organs.

"Fine," he mumbled.

Donnie finished applying healing cream to Y/n's cuts and bruises, but Leo took his seat right next to her and looked over his plate of fresh food. The tempting smell got his stomach roaring again, and he slowly dug in.

Over a short amount of time, the dining group of three doubled, as Donnie finished tending Y/n for the time being, and April and Casey found their way to the salivating smell of the kitchen, and then to everyone else as they quietly sat around Y/n's bed and joined them.

Everyone sat quietly in a rugged semi circle, munching quietly on warm eggs and sausage. There was comfort– very little comfort– in being with each other in the quiet morning as they nourished themselves. But there remained a horrible silence: pairing beeped heartbeats and awkward clicking utensils against plates.

No one dared to try and say anything. The atmosphere still felt too fragile, and there wasn't much that could be said anyway.

April set her fork down and stared at her empty plate. She wondered if saying something about the off vibes she was receiving from the room were worth mentioning. She expected to sense this whenever she came in, but it was like the room itself was wrong. She looked up, silently looking around the room as the others still kept their heads in their plates.

And there it was, all the way in the back of the lab, past the lab tables and piles of contaminated cloths and discarded lab equipment, a beat up filing cabinet. It looked like it collapsed in on itself, barely standing. Whatever files Don has in there probably won't be accessible any time soon. Not only that, Donnie's desktop was laying on the floor next to his desk.

Suddenly she started to notice everything. The bent up sink head, the crack in the heart rate monitor, Leonardo's swords that used to be sitting on the back of his chair which– he always handles carefully, halfway across the room now, laying in the middle of the floor. It was like in just a few hours half the lab became some teenage boy's messy room.

"So..." April cleared her throat, "are we gonna talk about the..." she awkwardly pointed to metal shelves at the opposite end of the room. Everyone turned their attention to the background clutter. "I wasn't really paying that much attention last night, but I'm pretty sure those weren't like that before."

"Whoa..." Raph stood up, scanning over the mess of the room. "What happened?"

They all looked to the oldest and tallest of turtles, assuming they'd know if they were in here all night.

Leo shook his head and looked to Donnie in the same confusion. How was he supposed to know?

Donnie stared at the changes in the room in disinterest. He shook his head and tiredly made his way out of the lab. "I need coffee..."

Casey almost smiled in amusement. "Of course. How could we forget his morning coffee?"

"I knew I was forgetting something," Mikey said through a yawn. His brain probably felt fried without the morning stimulant.

"Leo?" April sat up, prompting him for the unanswered question.

"There was some disturbance last night." Leo started, thinking back to his tired recollection. "I don't know what it was. Maybe an earthquake or... the subway going by? Guess it shook the place and wrecked some things. I don't think it's anything to worry about."

"Earthquake? Like what the Kraang were causing before?" Raph speculates, causing Leo to shrug. "How did we not feel that?"

"I guess we were all so tired we didn't even notice."

"It wasn't anything big, and it didn't last long." Leo shrugged his shoulders, and returned to watching Y/n. "I don't think it's anything to worry about."

Raph took a seat again, and the matter seemed to drop.

Seriously? That's it...?

April was surprised they let the conversation end there, but looking around she saw it wasn't really the time or place. They must have missed the details she was prone to noticing. And between her psychic powers and not being as exhausted as them, she didn't have to wonder why.

"Well, Dad's calling. I should really get home before I worry him any longer."

"Are you sure you don't want to stay longer?"

"Don't worry, you know I'm just a few blocks down. Unless you guys need me for anything else I should really go see Dad. He's wondering why I didn't answer the phone last night and it's better for everyone that he never finds out Casey and I were captured... Let me know if anything happens, okay?"

"We will. Be careful out there," Raph reminded her as she gathered her things.

"Call me if you need anything."

"Thanks. Let us know when you're home safe."

A few hours later in the day and things were starting to feel the smidgest bit more normal. Mikey had the TV on one of his cartoons while Raph and Casey sat around, either flipping through a magazine or barely watching the show.

Raph groaned and tossed his magazine aside. "Do you have to watch that now?"

"It's better than the silence," Casey answered for him.

"Is it?"

"You love Super Robo Mega Force." Mikey defended tiredly. "And there's nothing else to do."

He deadpanned as Mikey yawned and rubbed his eyes. "You have a TV in your room. And a bed."

"I didn't wanna be alone." Mikey mumbled, hugging a teddy bear into his chest and snuggling into the beanbag more.

Raph wanted to complain or roll his eyes, simply because he usually would, but in all honesty he couldn't blame Mikey's methods.

Leo emerged from the lab, stretching his worn out body.

"You're not gonna stay in there?" Raph sat up as Leo took the adjacent seat on the couch.

"Donnie said it could be hours before she wakes so, I thought I'd give him space to work. Take some time to breathe..."

"Good idea. Mikey's mind numbing show can help with that."

"Hey..." Mikey croaked, hugging the bear like a pillow and promptly falling asleep.

"Thanks." Leo smiled a little, sad creases stretching his face.

The forced strain of his smile vanished and he pulled out his buzzing phone. It just didn't feel right to smile right now...

Another buzz rang out in his hand, and Leo realized it wasn't his phone vibrating. It was yours.

He had completely forgotten he left it in his weapons belt to keep with him. And now Nick was texting you– well, them actually, about what's going on again. Safe to say he completely forgot about Nick ever since he gave them that lead to The Foot entrance.

Leo read the texts of hopeful questions about your whereabouts. Initially his first impression of Nick was a bit misguided, wondering if he was some guy he might have to worry about, when he was still so new to having a real relationship. But now Leo really felt glad there was someone else to help you that night. Even if it didn't amount to much, he wanted as many people as possible looking out for Y/n.

His fingers hovered over the keyboard for a couple minutes, until he could find the best message to send. He vaguely replied that they found you last night and you were okay, and that you were safe with him and his brothers.

Immediately after sending it he shoved the phone away, feeling like lead was in his chest.

He cleared his throat and looked around the room, scratching at his arm.

"... Has anyone checked on Master Splinter?"

Raph sat up. "Um, we've hardly seen him out of the dojo since he got back..."

Casey sat up from resting on the couch. "No one wants to go in his room yet."

Leo sighs. He disappeared as soon as he got home last night and hadn't eaten with them this morning, and there was no question why.

"I should go talk to him."

Casey got to his feet, stretching. "I should probably go. I think Donnie's got enough of my blood to host a blood drive for a gang of vampires by now."

Raph nodded. "Be careful alright? It's early but The Foot will no doubt still be looking for us."

He wanted to suggest staying under the radar for a little longer, but they knew April and Casey's parents wouldn't understand them staying out any longer after not coming home last night.

"Don't worry about me."

Leo nodded to him as he passed to the exit. "See you soon, Casey. And, thanks. For everything. Really."

"It was nothin'. Tell Mikey I'll see you guys later."

With that, he left and Raphael turned back to Leo once they were alone again as he was staring towards the dojo.

"You look greener than usual."

"I'm fine."

"I can go in there with you." He shrugged, getting to his feet to offer his help.

"No, I'll be fine." Leo looked to him, thinking." I think maybe it should be one of us for now..."

"If you say so." He plopped back down and grabbed the TV remote. "But I would go before you talk yourself out of it."

"Thanks," Leo said blandly.

Raph couldn't help a subtle smirk as he walked off. "S'what I'm here for."

It felt strange to Leo walking the path to his master's room, a path he's walked a thousand times. This time he was uneasy as he stepped in the dojo and quietly approached the bedroom's sliding doors, peeking in for a moment.

Hamato Yoshi sat on a mat on the floor of his room, legs crossed and eyes closed as he attempted to find some peace in meditation.

Leo stood outside of his door for maybe a minute or more, watching. The silence was loud in the dead air, until a sigh heaved from the rat and his shoulders suddenly slumped.

Splinter's brown eyes opened, settling on the carpet, depressed.

Leo pushed the door aside some more, catching his father's attention.

"Sensei," he took a step as Splinter looked up. "Sorry– uh, I didn't want to interrupt but..."

The rat got up from the floor. "Come in."

Leo entered his room and closed the doors behind him, watching the back of his father's figure as he faced his armoire of clothes and picture frames. "We've been worried about you..."

He was met with silence. Yoshi wasn't sure how to answer. And Leo definitely had no idea what else to say, as if he just used up every word of the English language in that one sentence.

"I... I have been trying to meditate. To clear my head and understand the next best thing to do."

"Did you find any answers?" He asked, somehow already knowing the answer.

"It has been difficult to get back to the spiritual plane..." He turned to Leonardo, meeting his eyes for the first time. "I meant to help you all last night... and again this morning. I wished to."

"We understand, Sensei. Everything's fine." 

"I am glad. But still, I could not bring myself to face this sooner... and for that I am sorry."

"We're just worried." Leo shook his head, softly asking again.

"I have never had much luck adjusting to the way things are with Miwa, and the path she was put on by Oroku Saki..." He sat at the edge of his bed, still facing away. "It will take time, but I will be okay."

Leo sat at the opposite edge of his bed, not completely accepting his answer. He stared at the floor. "It's all so much... So new..." Leo mumbled. Splinter listened closely as his son began to speak. "I know I've made misjudgments but Karai was never like this before. Even in her worst moments..." He trailed off, lacking the confidence on how to finish.

"You are right. I could sense the corruption in her when we first met again. What we saw yesterday was not the same person..." His eyes lifted to the picture sitting in the center of the armoire: a candid shot of a baby tugging at his black hair and giggling in mommy's grasp. "But the truth always causes unrest amongst those who have the most to lose from it; and even more catastrophic results when denied." He stood, walking over to it again. "That is what's so hard to accept... Karai chose to be Shredder's soldier, and Y/n suffered the consequences."

Leo shut his eyes and rested his head in his hands. "I just feel like if I had listened the first time you guys warned me about her things would have been different. I shouldn't have let it get this far."

"I told you, placing blame will only make things worse, for all of us."

"I know. But I have to apologize..." He stood and faced his father, straitening his back. "I'm the leader and if I don't fix the problem nobody else will. I'll never let this happen again."

"I do not blame you for this. I have always taught you to do what you thought was right, follow your instinct and lead with the goodness in your heart. It is not your fault there are evil people in the world." He finally faced his son, finding the most strength he's felt since the battle to emphasize this. His eyes cast downwards as he continued. "Maybe it is foolish, but I still hope some part of Miwa will remain untainted by the darkness."

"I don't know, Sensei. After what she was willing to do to Y/n..." Leo sighed and stopped himself from finishing. He couldn't be the one to say his daughter was probably gone forever. "I feel like it's never gonna make sense. Why any of this had to happen... I mean– I know the answer but I can't accept that things were allowed to get this bad..."

"Hatred feeds on fear. And Karai clearly wished to instill fear in all of us. It is up to us to keep life moving here. That is our only option."

"Yes, Sensei."

"Y/n is our family now. She is our priority." Yoshi placed a hand on his shoulder. "Let us go see her."

Second POV

"Tō. Sha. Sōn. Kai."

"Zen. Ka. Pyō. Jin."

"Yu! Sōn! Retsu!"

"Ju! Yō! Sai!"

Yoshi and Leonardo placed their hands on your broken body, focusing the healing energy flow towards you. Donnie watched from close by, staring in awe as the outline of their bodies began to glow.

He couldn't even dare to try and apply science to it. Not until he had the time and resources to plunge into the mysterious healing method anyway.

Half a minute later and the father and son stepped away, finishing the remedy as the glowing faded.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to that..."

Splinter looked to Donatello. "The mantra is very useful to the healing process, but it also requires a strong life force from the subject, and she is weakened. I'm afraid we cannot use it on her too often. I do not wish to cause more damage than help."

"Once... maybe twice a week will be enough. I don't think that should cause any..."

Donnie stopped himself short when he heard a short breath come from your lips. Your eyes were open now and your chest rose and fell. 

Your breathing quickened and your eyes shifted. Relatively you were calm, but breathing became more labored as your senses started to wake up, too. You were trying to catch your breath and take it all in.

"Y/n!" Leo moves closer to you, happy to see your eyes open.

Your body tensed and breaths remained ragged, tears pricking at the edge of your eyes as you looked around.

Leo stopped himself immediately before he could do something to upset you, looking to Donnie in question.

"An emotional reaction is typical when first waking." Donnie clarified, inching closer to the bed himself.

"Where am I?!" You uttered, so breathlessly it came out in a whisper.

"We're in the lair... Home," Leo corrected.

"Home?" Your eyebrows knit together.

"Y/n, we're in the sewers." Donnie spoke now, as calmly and casually as he could. "In my lab. Do you remember?"

"I..." You started to answer, trying to focus on one thing as your mind ran all over the place. You looked between Donnie and Leo, registering the friendly faces as non-threatening. Your gaze landed on Leo, finally recalling the person you trusted most. "You came for me..."

Leo watched you, and realized this was the most lucid and aware he's seen you since rescuing you. For a moment he feared every waking would be a screaming and frenzied fiasco.

"W-we all did." He finally came closer to you, slowly as he kept eye contact. "... It's done. It's all over now."

You tried to move your head, causing pain to shoot to the back of your neck. Your face scrunched at the pain. The nearly blinding ache plaguing your body wasn't helpful to your lack of situational awareness.

Your brain became even more confused from the physical distress and your breathing intensified.

You tried to move your arms but didn't get very far, struggling to control yourself without losing your breath from panicking in frustration.

"Just take it easy, breathe..." Leo stopped you, placing his hands around yours.

Donnie spoke again, prompting for a reaction. "It's the lab, remember? Underground and safe."

"But I-I thought I saw–" You looked down at your wrists, fisting your hands anxiously.

Leo followed your gaze to the prominent red lines left behind on your wrists. The last thing he wanted you to remember now was them restraining you. "It was just a bad dream," he cooed, resting a hand on your hair to stroke it. "Don't worry."

You grunted, trying to relax even though the sudden paralysis alarmed you. You looked down at Leo's hand holding yours and curled your fingers in between his.

Leo watched you as you stared at your hands, like you couldn't even believe that you were here; looking so relieved that this was real and he was standing there holding your hand.

"Hey, look at me."

Your chin trembled as you grasped at his hand and lifted your eyes to meet his.

"Y/n..." Donnie spoke up softly, watching the exchange. "Talk to us."

"A-April, and Casey..."

"They're okay. We got them, too." Donnie assures.

In other circumstances that answer would've comforted you. But instead, your mind started to wander to the fateful building that you all had to be rescued from in the first place. Then the walls started closing in...

"Y/n." Splinter spoke now. "Trust us. You are safest where you are. I know you are confused, but we only wish to help."

"That's right." Donnie smiled and tilted his head. "How do you feel?"

Your fingers clenched and unclenched, throat drying and energy draining by the minute.

"It h-hurts so much..."

"Donnie said he can medicate you soon." Leo moved closer to you, rubbing his thumb over your hand soothingly. "That will help you feel better. Then we can get something in your stomach. Sound okay?"

You tried to answer, still processing things in your head. "... O-okay."

"Don't spill it! It's hot!"

"I'm aware."

"It'll be cold by the time he gets it to her mouth."

"Guys, the commentary really isn't helping."

About an hour later and you were sitting in your hospital bed, surrounded by chattering turtles while Leo tried to feed you vegetable soup Mikey made to help you get better.

Splinter was having some, too... elsewhere, as he used the comfort food to nourish and body and soul. Donnie sat in his workspace, occupied with something he was working on quietly and diligently. Which was impressive really, because his three not-as-smart brothers were carrying on only feet away from him over what one thinks would be the simplest task. 

Raphael and Michelangelo were of course so happy and relieved to finally get to see you, but the rest of that leftover emotion quickly channeled into worry and hyper diligence.

So far you had managed to take in a few spoonfuls; but then it got difficult to stomach. And the shaking. No matter how hard you tried, it wouldn't stop.

You sat there staring at the wooden spoon– holding corn and green beans, among other delicious and healthy ingredients– as your stomach churned in response, and Leo looked up at you with his desperate blue eyes.

"You've got to eat."

"Can't..." Was all you could breathe out.

"Y/n..." Leo pleaded. "Eat." He urged gently. "It'll help you get better."

You cringe as the aroma reaches your nostrils, making the inside of your stomach clench.

"Yeah, that'll help her." Raph remarks. Leo looked at him, neglecting to hide his annoyance. "Look at her. It looks like you're about to make her throw up."

Leo glanced at you, immediately noticing your grimace as Mikey fires back in his defense.

"Yeah and mentioning that doesn't make it worse at all, Raph."

"Enough!" Leo snapped at them, annoyed and... a little too loud. You jumped, wincing at the sudden outburst. You stared at him, nerves rattled, and almost hurt.

Leo looked to you and set the bowl down quickly, placing his hand over yours so gently. "I'm sorry..."

You didn't respond, trying to even your breathing. Your heart was beating too fast, and your hands were shaking. But you tried to remember: he wouldn't try to hurt you. There's no need to be frightened.

Leo sighed, and looked back to the two without removing his hands from yours.

Raph crossed his arms in response, practically declaring 'I'm not leaving this room' with a single motion.

"Guys, I know you want to help, and I really appreciate it, but maybe we shouldn't have multiple people around her at once." He suggested tactfully. You stared down at Leo's hands holding yours as he talked, trying to focus on his touch, as you slowly squeezed back. "So it's less overwhelming."

"For who?" Raph retorts accusingly. 

"At least during meals. I can feed her soup by myself."

"Doesn't look like it."

Leo groaned and got up, forcing himself and the others to separate from her to speak with them more privately. "Listen, I know if she could get something in her stomach she'd feel at least a little better, but she seems to have no appetite. Maybe if the environment was less overwhelming it would be easier for her."

They stared at him without response, no interest in getting out of the loop. But eventually Mikey sighed and gave in. "I'll go be miserable in my room."

He left through the lab doors, offering one last smile and wave to you before he disappeared. Leo turned to Raph now, a look of expectance and irritation.

Raph groaned and rolled his eyes reluctantly. "Fine." His arms unfolded as he started to walk out. "Try not to drive her crazy."

Leo shook his head and took his place back next to your side.

"Or drown her in soup," Raph muttered as he left through the lab doors.

"What?" Your eyes widened, ears picking up on only the last remark. Or rather, the one specific word that sent all the alarms going off. "No!"

Leo looked at you in confusion. You shrunk away from him, as if you were hurt Leo would do such a thing. Your arms twitched and your hands rushed to your throat protectively, the muscle memory of struggling under water rising.

The panic came back and sudden you were gasping and struggling against nothing while you tried to fight. But you were still so weak, and the movements were hard on you, so you collapsed back against the elevated bed board.

The beeping increased and Donnie got to his feet. But for whatever reason, you grabbed at Leo's arm, and he stopped himself as Leo started trying to calm you down.

"Easy! It's okay!" His eye ridges knit together in sadness and confusion. You were panting, and you shook your head at him as your other hand stayed gripped over your throat.

"What's wrong?" Leo looked into your scared eyes, holding your hand that was gripping onto his arm.

"I-I can't."

"Look at me," Leo took your hands and looked into your eyes, and he held them firmly to his chest. "Come back to reality." He coaxed. "Nothing's gonna happen to you here, not with me to protect you. It's just you and me, Y/n. Focus on that. I'm right here." He spoke so softly, and with intention. His eyes captivated yours and it wasn't so much of a challenge setting your mind on one thing. His gaze even quieted some of the noise.

"O-okay..."

You watched him, teeth clenching together in anxious habit. Leo's thumbs again stroked your hands. "Just breathe and look at me. You're doing great, just keep watching me."

Leo glanced at Donnie for a second, who stayed right where he was. It looked like Leo didn't need intervening.

But you still felt sick, and had a horrible sinking feeling. "Leo," you whined.

"Listen to me," he told you again and sat on the side of your bed to be closer to you. He smiled and let your hand rest with his on his lap. "Hey, do you remember that time you I and went trick-or-treating for the first time? And we got everyone to dress up in costumes and go topside for the day?"

You stared and listened, breaths regulating.

"You made fun of me for being a space nerd, and I gave you my mask to wear with your kunoichi outfit. Remember?"

You gave a nod.

"And then when we went to the festival and you showed me what candy apples were, and we danced to that song about... calling monsters? You told me it was by that girl with her own show, and you said she was one of the best singers on Disney. Um, Asia... something..."

"China," you corrected softly.

"Yeah. And we all danced together. Probably looked like idiots," he looked down at his lap and actually chuckled. "I loved that day."

"I do, t-too."

His eyes lifted back to yours. You were almost calm now. The heart monitor let him know. But he kept rubbing circles into your hands as he spoke gently. Distracting you with the old story, one of his favorite memories.

You sniffed, and he smiled. "Just take a breath."

You tried, going as slow as possible.

"That's great. Just breathe."

Donnie sunk back into his chair. He watched you two from afar, more than relieved that he knew what to say to you.

Leo's hands slowly slipped away from you and picked up the bowl of broth and vegetables once you were calm again. He scooped up a spoonful before looking at you and gently asking, "Can you try?"

He eased the utensil towards your mouth, and you opened your mouth to try, but the second the broth hit your mouth you recoiled and shook your head, face scrunching.

"Okay, maybe we should just try more water." He pulled the bowl away, and replaced it with a bottle of water to offer.

Slowly, you took the bottle yourself and drank from it. Your arm was shaking as you supported its weight, and after swallowing too much at once you began coughing.

Leo reached over and had to take it from you. "Easy." He uttered, feeling completely useless. "Just take it slow..." He frowned, unsure of what to do other than just sit there until your coughing stopped.

He watched you as you took a breath and closed your eyes, leaning your head back against the inclined bed. "Are you okay?" You shook your head. "Can you drink anymore?"

"I can't," you murmur.

"Okay, that's okay." He assured and took it from you. "Don't worry. Maybe instead of eating Donnie can keep in an IV–"

"No!"

Leo's head snapped to her, eyes frantic and pleading once again.

Dang it! How did I do it again?

"Please, no. Don't make me..."

"I won't. We won't, okay? You don't have to if you don't want to... I'm sorry."

Your jaw moved unsurely in a loss for words. Ashamed, you shut your mouth and looked away.

Dead silence. Donnie's head was down, pretending not to listen as he hovered over his work in a practically different section of the room.

But Leo only saw you. He looked from your eyes, to the injection marks scattering your arms. Then he remembered the vision of burning needles going into your skin. His fist clenched as he mentally kicked himself. He felt so stupid, already he was forgetting what to be careful about saying around you.

"We won't do anything you're not comfortable with. You don't have to panic."

"I-I'm sorry," you sobbed embarrassed, and the first tears ran down your cheek. Fingers scratched at the fabric of the bedsheets as your fists balled up.

"Don't cry," he whispered, reaching for your face. "Just look at me. It's me, Y/n." His hands cupped your face tenderly.

"It's too hard."

"Y/n..."

"No, it's impossible," you sobbed.

"Don't say that. Donnie said you're already getting better!"

You shook your head, burying it in his chest miserably. Leo stared down at you so shocked... so... broken up to see you like this.

The only thing he could do was wrap his arms around you. You grasped at him like it was for your life. He tried not to say much, or anything to unsettle you, but hold you tightly enough so that you could get some sense of safety.

"I believe in you."

Another tear ran down your cheek, chin trembling.

"Just remember that you're not alone. You've got all of us."

With a sniff, you managed a nod. Pulling away from him, you try to scoot over. Leo started to say something but he didn't know what you were doing. For a moment he thought you were trying to move away from him, as you moved to the other side of the bed. Managing to make some more room, you pressed your hand to the empty space.

With glassy eyes, you cleared your throat before whispering, "W-will you lay with me?"

With no hesitation, he moved again, placing himself directly next to you in the vacant spot. He'd never wanted to be closer to you than now. Careful of your beaten arms, he took you close into his arms and rested your back on his chest. His arms rested loosely around you, and you molded yourself into him, taking him as your safety blanket.

You laid against him and felt an onslaught of tiredness and remnants of peace wash over you. You sniffed again as his presence blanketed you. "I knew you would come."

Leo looked down at you. You weren't sobbing, or even angry from the cruel irony that he came too late.

I wanted to save you sooner, was what he almost said. I tried. "I..." But as he looked at your puffy face, he saw how much it didn't matter. You're here. And he promised to never let you get hurt again.

"I know it might not mean much now, but this will get better."

"Okay," you uttered softly. You pressed into him more and laid your head on his shoulder. "Just stay."

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

27.9K 490 18
It's been a year since the Sacks Tower attack, and you and Leo still aren't together. Yeah it fucking sucks. Both of you are completely oblivious to...
219K 7.6K 34
plip, plop plip plop. The rain quietly fell from the sky. there was no thunder or lightning. just rain. The water slid down your already drenched bod...
25.1K 1.2K 91
{ Tmnt 2003 version } Published: July 26, 2018 This story takes place in new york city where there are two company's that have been against each othe...
369 23 14
🌻[REQUESTS ARE OPEN]🌻 Leo~ "For now..." Read the damn title. 👀 Nah I'm just kidding, welcome <3. Don't click off, I'm not mean I promise lol This...