The Empress Wears Gucci

By FloraDuong

*2nd editing* If you like historical, harem affair dramas, and the underdog rising to regality, you will lik... More

00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90 (EPILOGUE)
JAXON (ALT ENDING)
THE EMPEROR (ALT ENDING)
A/N
New Book!

53

1.5K 82 5
By FloraDuong

        There were no words to define the constant adrenaline rush I was experiencing. Every time I thought about my plan, I felt prompted to open my mouth and reveal everything without pausing. I was excited. Scared, but excited. Each time I thought about it, my body would shiver. I'd gush and snicker.

          Maybe this is why the Empress enjoyed scheming against others. I can agree that it is entertaining. I find that she did have psychopathic tendencies, and doing all that she does brings joy. There was no moral conscience in her.

         This was it. It was all in or nothing, and I was going all in. 

        I stepped inside Niu Lin's chamber, tilting my head slightly up to assert dominance. She greeted me. This time, with no malicious intentions.

        "Will you be able to do one small favour?" I asked, walking forwards so all was in front of me, was her face.

        She nodded. "Yes, Your Grace." 

        "I'll need you to convince the other women to admit to something... On the day that Su Yin was freezing—nearly to death—the Empress said that she prepared Dong Mei's medicine," I explained. "It seemed to me that they didn't want to say anything because the Empress threatened them."

        I let out a wicked smile. "But because the Empress will be exposed soon, I want them to speak up and tell the truth."

        Niu Lin's eyes studied my face. She listened intently and nodded throughout. When I finished, her body stiffened and she kept staring at me, barely blinking. "That's a risk... Your Grace, do you have enough to have Her Majesty in the middle of the hall in front of the Emperor?"

         "You clearly don't know what I'm capable of," I replied grimly.      

        Doubt is a pet peeve of mine. You never doubt a person, especially not me. There was no arrogance to my tone because I knew what I can do. If you don't know me, then you're not allowed to talk about what I can or can't do. The Empress was powerful. But I felt as if I had the upper-hand.

        "I'm helping you because you're doing me a favour as well," Niu Lin folded her arms. "If you don't succeed, then I won't either..."

        Her eyes shifted to the ground. "I'll help you out, Your Grace, but if things come out bad, I'm not obliged to follow those orders. It's too risky."

       "I agree." I nodded.

        Princess Hua Yang was to arrive soon. I made my way back to my estate and did my daily paperwork before she came in. There were childish conflicts concubines had that I was to review. I shoved them aside to deal with them later.

        "Her Highness has arrived!" a loud voice erupted outside of my estate. 

        My maids were dismissed after I came back, so I was the only one in the main room. The doors opened and I rushed down to greet her. "Greetings to Your Highness."

        Hua Yang's face softened. "It's been a while, hasn't it?"

        She wore a navy blue hanfu that framed her body. Hua Yang had a petite frame and I could tell as the belt accentuated her waist. The lower half of the hanfu flowed elegantly and dragged behind her. Beauty runs in the family.

        "Indeed it has," I nodded. "Are you still practising medicine, Your Highness?" 

         "Yes, I have! I'm... quite glad you asked that," Hua Yang's eyes flickered. "Nobody asks me about what I do."

          A woman practising medicine was something that can be considered taboo. There were women who practised medicine, but it was mainly to assist another male physician. Barely any women did practise, actually. Hua Yang was lucky enough to have permission to. Being one of the members of the Imperial family is a privilege. 

        She had royal power. The Emperor was her brother and I assume they had a close bond together... Hua Yang, I considered, was an acquaintance. She lived in the capital where she spent most of her time. Perhaps keeping her close was beneficial for me. 

         I don't think it was manipulative. If anything went wrong, Hua Yang could stick up for me. It was to my advantage, but I did acknowledge Hua Yang as a trusted friend. She could see through me if I ever wanted to control her. 

        Which I don't. 

        "How have you been holding up?" Hua Yang questioned me, her eyebrows slanted up doubtfully.

         "I'm not doing so great," I chewed my bottom lip. "I lost my maid who I loved so dearly. Your Highness, she kept me sane. I still can't believe she hung herself... It was my fault for never checking up on her."

         Hua Yang shook her head and pursed her lips in disappointment. "You don't deserve that. None of it. I heard about the rumours and I believe one of your maids betrayed you?"

         "Yes, but—" I began but Hua Yang read my thoughts.

         "Somebody is behind all of it," Hua Yang put up her index finger and nodded. "It's not believable for a maid to hang herself with silk."

          I grabbed Hua Yang's hand quickly, almost alarming her. I craned my neck and frowned. "I was thinking that too! I thought I was crazy..."

         You best believe I'm following Su Yin's advice.

         "It is quite suspicious," Hua Yang thought carefully. A solemn expression was on her face, but she darted her chin up to look at me again. My eyes were watering. "Let's change the topic, I don't want to upset you."

          My maids poured us tea and I was eager to get to know Hua Yang's character. If Hua Yang thinks that Guan Shu's suicide wasn't truly suicide, it confirms her intelligence. But for my own good, I didn't push her to say who she thought it was. 

        "I'm interested in the medical field as well. It'd be nice to watch how you work," I sipped on the freshly brewed tea placed in front of me. I acknowledged my maids before looking at Hua Yang. "Your Highness, I support you."

        "I know you do. You always did from the first time we met." Hua Yang sighed. 

        I frowned. "You want to be a physician?"

        Hua Yang's eyes darted to me, immediately after she put her cup down. Her eyes widened. "I-I... It'd be bold to say I do."

        "But you do, don't you?" I tilted my head, leaning forwards.

        She was clearly hesitant to admit that she did. I could read people very easily, anyone but the Emperor, of course. Hua Yang's eyes scanned around the room, then at me, then around the room again. A woman saying she'd like to be a physician would shock many. But it doesn't shock me.

        "Yes, I do," Hua Yang cleared her throat. She gave me a defeated smile.  

         "Why not convince His Majesty?" I asked thoughtfully, pouring myself another cup of tea.

        Hua Yang shook her head. "It doesn't work like that. Court officials influence the Emperor a lot because he's still young. My brother is under Mother's hold as well."

        I rested my elbows on the table to rest my chin on my fists. It was easy to see that I wasn't very knowledgeable about what goes on during court. I've attended a few times but it was just court officials suggesting ideas. The Emperor had the final judgement but there were times where court officials did win. 

        The Empress Dowager was also a powerful figure because she controlled the Emperor's moves. After she dies, the Emperor was the highest authority. I wondered how he'd rule. Knowing that he was absolutely ruthless when it comes to corrupt people, I would dread causing a slight amount of anger in him.

        Even though I did make him angry already, I only got sent to the Cold Palace. What luck.

        I had a dying question to ask Hua Yang. It was hard to ease into it because like the Emperor, I was straightforward.

        "I fear for His Majesty's safety," I sighed, moving my cup more towards myself. I looked up at her. "There hasn't been any recent assassinations at least."

        Hua Yang bit her bottom lip, pausing for a moment. She then shook her head. "No, there hasn't been... But you walk around as if you're not at risk."

        "I'm at risk?" I had a noticeable perplexed expression on my face because she leaned back, knitting her eyebrows.

        "Yes, you are... Do you not know?"

         "Know what, Your Highness?"

        "You've made quite a name for yourself," Hua Yang began, then taking a moment to take a long sip of her tea. 

        Hua Yang placed her cup down, smiling. She continued, "The Emperor had to place even more guards whenever you attended the banquets. I wouldn't be surprised if the Emperor had the entire harem secured even more than before!"

         "The assassins know about me," I leaned back. I pressed my back to the chair. "Of course. I'm their worst enemy right now, aren't I?"

        "I still think His Majesty is their worst enemy," Hua Yang shook her head and let out a soft chuckle. "But you shouldn't be afraid. Although you do have a reputation now."

        Hua Yang dramatically stretched her arms out, mocking the voice of a person in awe. "The fierce consort protects the Emperor with her love! She is devoted! She is resilient!"

        I let out a small laugh, grinning at the sudden playfulness in the princess's tone.

         All the events that had happened recently, have been so stressful that I forgot about the assassins. It seemed long ago when it happened. There were men waiting to murder me; any time now they could come and behead me with a sword. The thought of that was frightening.  

        It scared me even more that I wasn't as afraid as I should be. I've been through enough to realise that living here is as dangerous as it gets.

        They hated me. They were also influenced by the Empress... It was still weird to me that she had ties with them. 

        I cleared my throat. "Do you know anything about the assassins? Any information?"

        "I don't," Hua Yang pursed her lips. "But there is one the Emperor is waiting to question. I don't interfere with any of the state affairs, but Prince Jing told me that the Emperor is coming around to it."

         It seems that Prince Jing is no longer 'Your Lordship' anymore. I'll have that noted for future references. 

        "Shouldn't His Majesty be eager to question him?" 

        Hua Yang fixed her headpiece. "That's what I thought as well. It can happen any time, but the Emperor continues to push it back."

        "But why?" I crossed my arms, looking away to think.

        "I wonder that too," Hua Yang rose from her chair. She grinned. "Let's go take a short walk, Ying Yue! We both need some fresh air after this serious talk." 

         I got up from my chair and tucked it in. Quickly, I threw my head back and downed my tea, which caused a few judgemental looks from my maids. I gave them a mischievous smile and followed the princess out.          

        The heat hit me right in the face when I walked out. My skin was immediately warmed up and preparing itself for the weather. It was a hybrid of spring and summer. It felt nice because I felt ethereal with my hanfu flowing majestically rather than all over the place. One thing that ticked me off was the blazing sun. My eyes were still adjusting to it.

        Princess Hua Yang was fairly educated about what was going on, especially from being away from the capital. I feel that her relationship with the Emperor was very strong. Although I never saw them interacting with each other, she seemed to speak about him thoughtfully. 

        However, I was disappointed that I couldn't get any additional information about the assassins. It would be senseless to bring up the Empress's letters. Hua Yang, I assume, would immediately inform the Emperor. Laying low, for now, seems to be the best option. 

        As we resumed walking, I noticed the red, powerful hanfu wearer in front of us. The Empress was having a conversation with one of the Consorts. To my surprise, she was enjoying her company. She had her elbows rested on the table and was leaning forward like she was engaged in whatever the consort was saying. They laughed after. The Empress was in joy; she threw her head back, letting out joviality. The dangling jewels from her headpiece swung while she faced the consort again.

        That was shocking.

         "Greetings to Your Majesty." Hua Yang and I bowed in unison.

         "Greetings to Your Highness, greetings to Your Grace." the consort got up and kneeled.

        Hua Yang looked at the Consort. She nodded once and smiled. "You may get up."

         The Empress lost her smile and sized us up. "You two are taking a stroll together?"

         "Yes," Hua Yang replied, eyeing the Empress. "The weather is nice today... Warm and still has a slight breeze. Have you seen the beautiful flowers, Empress?"

         I played tennis with my eyes, darting from the Empress to Hua Yang. They both looked very welcoming. But something about Hua Yang's attitude towards the Empress was far more different than her attitude towards me. 

        "No, I haven't," the Empress turned her head to the consort. "Do you think we shall? We've been sitting here for quite a long time."

        "Your Majesty, I'd like that." she bowed, then getting up from the bench. She had a small birthmark at the top of her eyebrow.

        The Empress rose up with the help of her maids and walked away from their seating area. She brought her hand over her forehead to shield her from the sunlight. With her hand still shielding, she looked at Hua Yang. "I assume you will drop off the weekly medicine?"

        My eyes bored into the Empress's face. It took a lot of patience and self-control to not bash her head against the table. No matter how much she tries to act as if she didn't hate me, I still knew her intentions. This woman has terrorized me for months. God, do you know how hard it is to face your biggest enemy and not do anything about it? 

        It was killing me. I felt my entire body burn, not just from the sun. 

        "Yes, Your Majesty," Hua Yang exhaled sharply. "You'll get it soon. A container like last time again, right?"

        "Good," the Empress gave her a small smile. "Yes, the container like last time."

        Hua Yang nodded. "Anything else, Your Majesty?"

        "No, that'll be it," the Empress looked at both of us and smiled. "See you two around. I love looking at the flowers. It's a favourite pastime of mine... Sometimes I'll plant them myself with the other palace maids!"

        I kept my head down when the Empress excused herself. It was courtesy. 

        After the Empress was a bit far from us, I shifted my attention to Hua Yang while we were both settling down on the bench. "Why does Her Majesty need so much medicine?"

       "It's the pregnancy medicine that is consumed by drinking," Hua Yang rested her chin on her fist. "It's for her and the other women who are pregnant. But, she did ask for the same amount before she became pregnant."

         Something about that didn't sit well with me. 

        The same amount, even before the Empress's pregnancy?

        I gave her a confused look. "Don't you find that a little bit strange, Your Highness?"

        "I do, actually," Hua Yang stared off into the distance. "But it's the Empress. I can't question her, but I hope she does have good intentions."

       Hua Yang didn't like the Empress. I knew by the way she talked about her. She gave off a weird vibe when it comes to the Empress. They both were respectful and held themselves together with manners, but they had tension between them. 

       I was afraid to bring up the Empress again. Asking Hua Yang if she liked the Empress would indicate that I didn't like her. I couldn't take my chances and risk it. 

        We talked about my time and the crazy things that have happened to me. Hua Yang was very interested in my stories about taking down the assassins. She even laughed when I told her about me being in the Empress Dowager's chamber. I remembered the time the Empress Dowager was nice enough to treat my cut and cover for me.

        Hua Yang opened up to me and told me a story of her and the Emperor. When they were kids, the Emperor tried to steal one of her buns. She was fed up and she told one of the chefs to put bunched-up fabric inside one of the buns. When the Emperor went to eat it, he had a priceless expression on his face.

         We spent time laughing at each other's stories. It ended when we were approached by Prince Jing.

        "Greetings to Your Highness." I got up and bowed.

        Prince Jing looked at me and nodded. He quickly turned his attention to Hua Yang. "Hua Yang, His Majesty said that it's time to go. Mother wants a family dinner."

        How rude! The last time he saw me, he fully acknowledged me. I guess being a 'Lord' into a 'Prince' changes you. I find it rather stupid to be born a prince then want to be a lord, then want to go back to being a prince. 

        "Fine," Hua Yang let out an exasperated groan. She turned to me and beamed. "It was fun spending time with you, Ying Yue! I'd like to see you again next time."

        I smiled and was about to speak before the Empress walked towards us and interrupted.

       "Empress, forgive me for being here," Prince Jing bowed. "His Majesty told me to fetch Hua Yang. I hope you don't mind."

        The Empress shook her head and beamed. "No, not at all! I do respect His Majesty's wishes. It's great to see you."

        "It is great to see you too," Prince Jing nodded. "We shall take our leave." 

       "Of course." the Empress relaxed her shoulders.

        "Have you heard?" Pink asked me while she did my hair.

        "Heard what?" I admired myself in the mirror while I fanned myself.

        Snoopy interjected. "A Consort committed suicide."

        I immediately thought of the Consort the Empress was speaking to. I turned my head to face Pink and Fen Ai. "Did she have a birthmark at the top of her eyebrow?"

        "No," Pink knitted her eyebrows. "She didn't. Why?"

        "Ah... I saw the Empress talking to a Consort the other day..." I pressed my lips firmly against the lipstick paper.

        Fen Ai took the lipstick paper away and folded it. She placed it in front of me and worked on my eyebrows. I told her to keep my eyebrows simple and not crazy. Some of the women will be doing the most.

         "Her Majesty has one or two friends... Well, not friends, but girls to keep her company in the harem," Fen Ai said softly as she concentrated on my makeup. "She picks on the girls that won't hurt a fly."

         "Hmm... I didn't know that." I whispered, thoughtfully.

        So she does have people she can vent to that isn't just her maids. But there was a sort of distance between her and other people. 

        "Jia Xi is the Consort's name. She had a suicide letter that was cut in half," Pink paused. "The other half is missing."

        I shifted my head a little. "Do you know what's on it?"

        I looked at her through my peripheral vision. Pink shook her head and frowned. It was clear to see that Pink gossips frequently with the other palace maids. The suicide incident was definitely spread around. 

         This gave me one reason not to trust Pink.

        But due to the lack of shock in my maids' faces, I can assume that there were often suicide occurrences in the harem. Can you blame them? Being in such a competitive place is terrible for mental health. No wonder the Emperor kept his distance with his women, never letting them get too close to him.

        Maybe I shouldn't be pitying him like that, but I did. 

        Fen Ai finished with my face, and so did the other maids with my clothing. As always, I mentally praised myself. 

         "There's a play coming up in a few weeks," I broke the silence. "Fen Ai, you should join! I'll convince His Majesty to let you audition."

        "N-No! No way!" Fen Ai exclaimed in dismay. A small blush crept onto her cheeks.

        I clicked my tongue. "You are amazing at it! I think you'll be great with the other actors." 

        The self-confidence in Fen Ai lacked, but I wanted to see her do well. Instead of dwelling upon my relationship with Guan Shu, I might as well form another relationship with my maids. Fen Ai was someone I trusted, now that I think of it. I wasn't going to put all my trust in her, but I wanted to fill the void of the lost relationship I had with Guan Shu. 

        It hurt so bad.

        "Those... those actors are too good for me," Fen Ai nervously laughed, she waved her palms at me as a protest. "Your Grace, you're flattering me."

        "Wouldn't Fen Ai be a great actress?" I turned around to look at Hua Er and the rest of my maids. They nodded in unison.

         Snoopy clapped in glee. "Oh yes, Your Grace! Fen Ai would be wonderful."

        My embarrassed maid tried to protest, but I could tell she wanted this opportunity. Who knows, maybe they'll like her and she'll perform more. She did have the potential. The impersonation of the Emperor was spot on. 

        "I'll be seeing His Majesty in a few hours. I'll be glad to ask him." I stood up from my chair, still staring at the mirror.

        The Emperor agreed. It wasn't easy, but he agreed. He was confused, perplexed, puzzled, flabbergasted, anything, you name it. But he agreed. It was easy to convince him actually. 

        I wanted to do something good for Fen Ai. I was tired of neglecting the people around me. Hua Er was also someone I was too afraid to lose and I'll do anything to protect her. I'll even do those stupid rituals she suggests just to strengthen our bond.

        The topic of Jia Xi never came up in our conversation. Only when I brought it up. He was upset, but I believe he could've been more upset. The Emperor was really heartless now that I think of it. I didn't mind.

        I understood.

        My maids have been dismissed for the night and it was just Hua Er and me alone. We played Chinese checkers. Or, checkers, if you will. See, I didn't know that Hua Er was that good at strategy games because she beat me relentlessly. 

       I won once or twice but I believe she let me win. She acted like a younger sister, but sometimes she was my older sister. I saw my own sister in her, but I never told her that. It would be weird, wouldn't it? Comparing someone to another person from a different universe... I don't want to think about it anymore.

        I try to avoid thinking about home.

        Hua Er groaned. "Ah... I can't believe you won this round!"

       "Yes, I did... Out of all hundreds of rounds." I laughed, trying to make Hua Er feel better although it should be the other way around.

        I stretched after getting up and opened the door to look outside. The sky was still navy blue and it was bright enough to go get some snacks from the kitchen. Uncle Bin was still putting food out for me. Yes, like I was a raccoon.

       "Hua Er, you stay here," I turned around. "I'll go get us some food."

        "Yes, that'd be good." Hua Er nodded, smiling like a toddler now.

        After putting my shoes on—designer shoes that were worn out—I walked out of the palace. I expected to walk down greeting nobody, but a Noble Consort was standing outside. I looked at her. 

        Her hand held something. Paper. A piece of paper... It was half of a piece of paper.

        The consort's suicide letter.

        She was about to frame me for it.

        She killed the consort.

        "What are you doing here?" I narrowed my eyes at her. She stepped back from me but I continued taking steps forward. Her chest was puffing up and then quickly down.

        The Noble Consort shook her head quickly, saying nothing. A normal reaction. She gaped at me as if I was a god punishing her. The girl continued to shake her. My eyes darted at her hand. She attempted to put her hand holding the paper behind her back, but I saw it clearly with my eyes. There was no way she was going to get away with it.

       "P-Please... Your Grace, I—" she began, I could sense the whining in her tone. I can already predict her pleads below me.

        I stomped my foot. "Don't you dare! You killed that consort and wanted to frame me for it? How dare you disrespect your superior!"

       "And you didn't greet me?" I continued, inching towards her. 

       The Noble Consort gulped. She hastily got down on her knees and kowtowed. "Greetings to Your Grace! I apologize. Please forgive me! I've wronged you!"

       She looked familiar. It was like I've seen her before. There was something about her that made me feel something. It made me remember something.

        It was the memories of the first time I moved into the harem. The first time in the hall in front of the Emperor and the Empress. She was with me. She was the third girl to be chosen. We were together before, having different objectives for our time in the harem. How could I have forgotten?

         Time had passed by so fast that I forgot what she looked like.

       "Please spare me, Your Grace! I've wronged you! Pardon me for my impudence!" she was still kowtowing to me, her head was deeply pressing against the hard concrete.

        I exhaled sharply. "You're still begging? No matter how much you beg, I'll still keep my punishment... You attempted to sabotage me."

        The Noble Consort was sobbing. "Yes, yes I did. I apologize profusely, please. I'll never do it again."

        My body was shaking. The flashback of Li Mei trying to accuse me of pushing her was coming back to me. I tried to shake it off but it angered me even more. I was about to unleash my rage but I stopped myself. Punishing this woman impulsively would be no good. 

        "Stay outside... Kneel," I demanded. Before I opened the door to my estate, I turned around. "Do not leave until I come back. Let me decide..."

        Hua Er was fast on her feet. She looked at me wearily as she rushed to grab my arm. "Ying Yue, what happened?"

        Chewing my bottom lip, I rested on my throne-like seat. I took a while to think. "The consort outside tried to sabotage me."

        She could not be acting alone. But she could be. Half of a suicide note placed in the window of my room wouldn't be enough evidence to convict me. It was a stupid plan. The Empress would never plan this because she was smarter than that. 

         Although I didn't like the Empress, I knew she was smart. The girl outside my door was not bright, thus why she could've been acting alone. Hua Er was already thinking.

        "You think... maybe Niu Lin?" Hua Er suggested.

        "Niu Lin conspiring against us with the Empress was just her doing Her Majesty's dirty work to frame me," I had my arm hugging my waist and my elbow resting on my arm. I rubbed my chin like an old detective. Then I shook my head. "No... The Empress is smart. She wouldn't think to put half a suicide note to frame me."

        Hua Er scoffed. "Ming Xia did that? That's such a foolish plan!"

        "I agree," I smacked my lips and faced Hua Er. She stood above me. "Maybe she acted alone?" 

       "Perhaps... But why?" Hua Er wondered.

      "There's only one way to find out," I stood up, then plopping my body back on my seat. Anticlimactic, I know. "Hua Er, would you mind letting her in? I want to feel more... intimidating..."

        Hua Er rolled her eyes and smirked. "Your ego is huge, Ying Yue."

        Ming Xia was dragged by Hua Er. I stifled a laugh from seeing Hua Er pinching her ear. It was me who smacked some sense in her. I'm very glad I did. She seemed to look as mad as I am because she almost flung the Noble Consort aggressively.

       "How do you know her name is Ming Xia?" I questioned Hua Er. The Noble Consort sharply turned to have a good look at my lady-in-waiting.

        Hua Er shrugged. "I am excellent at remembering names. Besides, she was with you when you signed up."

       Ming Xia, kneeling below me, kowtowed again. This time, she didn't speak. She kept her position like that until I spoke, but I tried to think of proper questions. I felt powerful. I've never interrogated anyone from my 'throne' before.

        "Ming Xia," I began. She shot her upper torso up. "You murdered the consort—"

        "Jia Xi." Hua Er sighed in annoyance.

        "Right, thank you," I acknowledged Hua Er, then directing my attention back at Ming Xia. "You murdered Jia Xi to frame me, is that correct?"

       Ming Xia shook her head. "No, Your Grace... I-I found her like that. I thought it was... it was perfect timing to frame you. Please forgive me, I was jealous. We both arrived at the harem at the same time... We both were accepted at the same time... Yet, you are an Imperial Noble Consort..."

       "I used to sleep with the Emperor various times, but I'm afraid that I may lose this title... I haven't given His Majesty a child.." she continued.

        "I haven't given His Majesty a child either, what is your reasoning?" I uttered.

        "It's... It's... upsetting! Y-You haven't accompanied the Emperor like I did," Ming Xia exploded, her tears were running down her cheeks. "It's not fair!"

        "You—" I stood up, I could feel my body burn and shake under my hanfu. The room was starting to heat up. Hua Er calmed me down by gently pressing my shoulders to put me back in my seat.

        Hua Er whispered in my ear. "Calm down, Ying Yue."

        I took a long breath in and exhaled. 

        "There is no reason to be upset. 'Noble Consort' is still a high-ranking title... As I see it, you are ungrateful. You should love yourself," I spoke sternly, fighting back the urge to scream. "You have a good life in the harem. You live better than many outsiders of this place, and you have the audacity to try and sabotage a fellow sister? You're envious, I understand."

        I adjusted my headpiece. "There's a lack of self-love in this harem, isn't there? All these women... bitter and frustrated at other women... It's a cycle. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that Jia Xi committed suicide."

          Ming Xia's sobs were louder. 

        "Because there are vicious women like you in the harem!" I yelled, the pain already exploded. My tears were welling up. Guan Shu, Chen Xi, the two people that I've lost. It hit me, hard. 

        The plotting had to be stopped. The scheming, the plotting, the deceiving, it was painful. Was I doing the harem justice? Or was I making it worse? I was such a hypocrite to even tower over Ming Xia because I'm plotting against the Empress. 

         One difference between Ming Xia and I, was that I wasn't jealous. I was trying to make a change. So, right after that, I forgave myself. My temporary guilt washed away, and I wanted to find my inner peace.

        Ming Xia immediately put her head down. She covered her face to prevent us from looking at her cry, I knew. She tried to speak, but she kept choking on her words. 

        Finally, she spoke, "I-I thought it was perfect timing... The deities... It was as if the deities were telling me to frame you."

          Ridiculous... Using religion as an excuse to commit murders won't help your case.

        "Do you have any proof that you didn't murder Jia Xi?" Hua Er asked. She was noticeably irritated.

        "Yes... Yes! Believe me! Madame Chang Ying and Imperial Concubine Lee were together when they saw me panicking," Ming Xia nodded, finally making eye contact with me. "Please, believe me, Your Grace, I didn't kill her!"

         I looked at Hua Er. "Hand me the suicide note and inform Chang Ying and Su Yin... Quickly." 

        Hua Er nodded before she rushed out. 

        The agonizing minutes of being in a room with a sabotager was unbearable. She kept pleading and pleading and I was starting to lose my patience. Su Yin and Chang Ying walked into the palace and greeted me. Behind them, was Hua Er with two guards and two eunuchs. 

         "Greetings to Madame Chang Ying," Ming Xia said calmly, then throwing a fit immediately after. "Please tell her that you saw me! I didn't kill Jia Xi!"

        Chang Ying nodded but frowned. "You didn't but you attempted to frame Imperial Noble Consort Han. It is still a crime."

        Ming Xia kowtowed to me. "Please spare me! I didn't murder Jia Xi! I won't do any of this again! I promise!"

        "Ming Xia," I leaned my back against my seat. "You're a beautiful woman. You have a high-ranking title. You are able to eat, sleep, and do anything you want. Why aren't you grateful for this? Why must you plot against me?"

        I pursed my lips. "We are all sisters here. We are all together here."

        "Yes," Ming Xia looked up at me. She smiled at me through her tears. It wasn't just a smile, though, it was a pleading smile. "Yes... Your Grace, thank you for your wisdom. Thank you for the advice... Madame Ying Yue is kind, virtuous, and intelligent."

        "But you still need to be punished," I replied, sharply. 

        Ming Xia widened her eyes.

        I looked at the eunuchs and guards and snapped my fingers. "Flog her thirty times and have her kneel outside for thirty minutes."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54 0 7
Wen Veilu was not born rich, infact, she never met her parents. The village folks says that her mother was taken captive by the imperial gaurds and w...
EMPRESS LIU By Desi Turtle

Historical Fiction

298K 10.4K 55
When Liu Changsheng came into the Emperor's household marrying the fourth Prince he had no ambition at all. He was just a fool in love. He was assaul...
263K 7.1K 22
Xu Yang lived a happy life until she met her first love who she married thanks to her father's power, but from here everything went wrong. After only...
298K 10.5K 125
Arielle spent her entire life preparing herself to be the perfect fiancΓ©e to the Crown Prince and later become Queen. A delusional girl who claims t...