My Assassin

By JLGibson

Highest Ranked #1-RichGirl-Jan. 17. 2019 #1-Action-Romance Jul. 10. 2018 #1-Obsession-Jul. 10. 2018 #2-Thril... More

Please read!
Quote
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
My Assassin 2

Chapter 21

645 53 5
By JLGibson

It had been days since I woke up in California.

What am I doing here, and more importantly where is Ryder?

The nights seem the worst. They drag for eternity because I can't sleep. And when I do, I keep having the same nightmare:

I am standing in the middle an old, burnt up ballroom. It looks exactly like Chateau Hallo.

The only source of light comes from the moon, which shines through several broken windows ahead and up top. Piles of ashes smoke around me. The fire must have been recent.

I look down at myself and see that I'm in a gown. It's the same one I wore the night of the gala. The black Valentino lace and chiffon gown. However, this one is torn and dirty. My hair is in a bun and I am also barefoot.

I step forward and immediately stop. In the corner, between the shadows and the moonlight, sat someone playing a grand, black piano. Their back is toward me.

I strain, trying to hear the music they are playing. There is none.

The person begins to sway as they play. Even still, I can't hear anything.

Curious that I long to hear whatever music the pianist is playing.

I am about to call out to whomever it is when golden candelabras begin to flicker on above and around me.

My heart begins to race when I notice they're levitating about ten feet from the ground.

I suddenly hear the piano playing, but it isn't loud enough to where I am able to recognize the music.

I look towards it and I'm able to see a little more clearly.

It's a man.

He wearing a black tuxedo and has his head covered in some sort of black garment.

The music suddenly gets louder, where I am able to recognize it. It sounds like a creepy and slower version of Cutting Crews, 'Died in your Arms.'

I look around frightened! Where am I?!

I turn back to the mysterious piano player but he is no longer there.

The piano stands alone and continues to play on its own.

I am terrified to be here!

Looking around, I see what looks like an open door.

I'm about to walk through when a hand gently goes around my waist and pulls me back gently, feeling someone against my back.

My heart races as the hand rests beneath my breasts. I freeze, looking down at the red, gloved hand.

Without any fear, I lay my hand on the stranger's hand. We then begin to sway to the music the piano is still playing.

I close my eyes and smile as we continue to dance.

Why do I feel safe?

I don't know why, but I do.

The person moves my hair aside and runs their hand down the side of my neck. It continues to travel down my arm, resting his hand on top of mine.

I put my hand up and behind me to grab the back of the person's neck. I feel their rapid breathing on my neck, making me close my eyes.

My mysterious dancer stops moving and grabs my hand, causing me to turn towards them.

It's the hidden figure that was playing the piano!

The piano player is in the black tux and his face is still cloaked. I have no idea who it is until he runs his finger down my cheek and neck.

"Ryder?" I ask.

The figure takes one steps around me. Our right hips touching. Instinctively, we both put our hands up and begin to dance to the music the piano is still playing.

As we dance around the ballroom I try my hardest to determine who this skilled dancer is. Who else other Ryder, can it be?

I try to remove my hand from the figures hold but he grabs onto me tightly.

We continue our dance around the entire ballroom.

Once the music comes to an end we stop at the center. He lets go of me and bows slowly. He then stands tall.

Very tall.

I start to get an ominous feeling.

"Ryder?" I ask again.

This time I'm not sure if it is him. The hidden figure slowly shakes his head and looks towards the right. I follow his gaze.

Dressed in jeans and a simple t-shirt, Ryder is at the far side of the room running towards me. He's running in slow motion. I smile at him. I'm so excited to finally see him!

Where has he been all week?

However, my joy instantly vanishes when I see a look of panic spread throughout Ryder's face, his arm extended towards me. He's trying desperately to get to me!

The piano suddenly begins to play more music.

This time it's louder and thunderous!

I throw my hands up to cover my ears.

What is going on?!

Ryder's yelling something but I can't hear him. Not over the piano.

I shake my head, my brows furrow, not understanding what he's saying. He points to the person in front of me.

I turn and see the cloaked figure is suddenly holding a knife.

I look back at Ryder horrified when I suddenly hear what he's been trying to say.

"Samantha, run!"

The figure in front of me throws his arm up, the knife still in his hand! I'm about to take a step back when the knife comes crashing down, right through my heart!

My mouth parts as I look at the protruding handle. Crimson liquid oozes down my gown. Confusion and sadness consume me, wondering why this had happened.

As I fall to the ground, the figure's hood falls away from his face. I can't believe it!

It's Ryder!

He has his calm, creepy look but doesn't even look down at me. I stare up at him in disbelief as tears fall from my eyes. I strain to turn my head towards the right.

Is Ryder still running towards me? Will he save me?

When I look, no one is there.

I turn my head back to my assassin.

"Why?" I exhale, stuttering.

Ryder still doesn't look down at me. Instead, he continues to look straight ahead. He walks over my body and continues to walk away, leaving me to bleed out and eventually take my last breath.

I get up from the bed and walk to my window, sitting on the ledge.

It's a beautiful day. The sun is shining and there isn't a cloud in the sky. Contrary to how I am feeling.

I rake my hands through my hair and massage my neck. I feel so depressed and lost. Nothing, nor anyone can get me out of my stupor.

My parents come in like clockwork every hour to check on me. I am relieved they don't ask any questions. I'm not up for talking to anyone.

I look towards the grounds and there are two police officers sitting in their cars. They've been here all week.

Mom and Dad want me to have peace of mind. They don't want me thinking my kidnappers will come back to finish me off or something.

If they only knew I want to be kidnapped again. Back in Ryder's arms. Where I feel the safest.

Someone knocks on my bedroom door.

"Come in," I say indifferent, not bothering to turn around.

It's Dad.

"Hey, baby doll! Mind if I join you?" He asks walking in and closing the door behind him.

"Of course not."

I stand and sit on the bed. I'm really not in the mood to talk to anyone but my Dad is only checking up on me. He isn't the suffocating type.

Daddy takes a chair from the table and sits in front of me.

"I just want to make sure you're okay. It's been a couple of days and you haven't left your room."

I exhale. "I know. I just have a lot going through my mind right now. And I really can't take Mom crying every time she sees me."

"No, I get it! However, you have to understand her position as a parent. We thought we were never going to see you again." Dad puts his hand on my knee and squeezes gently.

"We don't want you going back to your house either. It's scary for you right now. Especially with Max. Who's to say his disappearance isn't linked to yours."

I think about that.

The way he was kidnapped and the finger thing was somewhat Ryder's mode of operating.

Now the ransom part isn't. A thought occurred to me. "Or it could be since Max was always doing news conferences, they figured he had the reward money you and Mom were promising."

Dad looks at me confused. "How did you know? Did they let you watch television?"

Shit! I shouldn't have said that.

"Um, yeah! They always kept CNN on. I guess to see what information the police had on them." I shrug my shoulders and start to rub my eyes. "They were always paranoid, you know?"

I get up from my bed and walk to my old dresser. I start playing with the ballerina figurines. I don't want my Dad to suspect I'm lying.

Daddy is a pushover when it comes to me. I can ask for the impossible, and it will be delivered the next day. However, a skill he possesses is he always knows when I am lying.

"Sam," he says curiously.

"Hm?" I ask over my shoulder.

"If there was something you needed, wanted or should tell me, you would tell me...right?"

I turn back to him, trying to look confused. "Of course! Why would I be lying, especially about Max? I want to know what happened. How are the Crawfords?"

God, I am rambling!

Daddy walks up to me and puts his hand on my shoulder. A look of concern written all over his face.

"Not good. I hired an attorney for them. So they can be guided through all this. Right now his disappearance is linked to yours. They think because you both are engaged, some sick individual is trying to milk money from you both. We just don't understand why a ransom was never brought up with your disappearance, especially since your worth is public knowledge."

My eyes start to pool with tears.

This is all my fault! If I had returned after Naples, Max would be here right now.

I try desperately not to blink but fail. Tears run down my cheeks. Max is lying somewhere hurt or worst. Dread starts to rise within me.

"You don't think they've killed-!"

Daddy pulls me in for a hug. "I don't know, baby! I don't want to give you false hope. All we can do is pray."

He gently passes his hand on my head. "I don't know if you're up for it, but I want you to call the twins. You need someone to talk to. I don't like you holed up in your bedroom."

Dad looks around as he let me go. I can tell he's trying not to get emotional.

I walk to the table, grabbing a tissue. "I'll call them now."

"So you were just tied up the entire time?! What about bathroom and shower?!" Rachel asks but looks at me in disgust. "I can't imagine!"

I really want to be in my room, alone. However, I promise my father I'd invite the twins over. We're in the living room drinking white wine.

Rhonda looks at Rachel mortified. She can't believe her twin is making my disappearance about herself.

I'm sitting on the sofa with my knees to my chest and I'm really not paying them any attention.

"What!? I'm just saying! If I was kidnapped, they would have to kill me then and there. I would be the worst kidnapped victim, in all the world of kidnappings! You know I have to moisturize my skin three times a day." Rachel points to her arm and begins rubbing it.

"Can you imagine if I was subjected to doing it once?! Oh my God, and if I don't have my moisturizer!? I'd be laying around looking like powder. An actual powdered donut! So disgusting." She opens her eyes wide and shakes her head in repulsion.

Rachel always sticks her foot in her mouth, so I'm not offended. If anything, her powdered donut bit makes me smile a little.

"You sound stupid, Rachel! And you are the only person I know that moisturizers three times a day," Rhonda said, cutting her eyes at her sister.

Rachel glares at her while she pulls out a small tube of hand lotion. She applies some on her hands. Rhonda and I look at one another and begin to laugh.

"Anyways, we are glad you're back! And I'm so thankful you weren't harmed," Rhonda says sincerely as she put her hand on top of my arm.

I force a smile. "Me too. I'm just worried about Max. When was the last time you both saw him?" I look from Rhonda to Rachel.

Rachel is the first to answer. "At the flower shop! We went over the inventory while he was unloading the truck. Just your usual workday. And this was the day before his kidnapping."

This is when I need Ryder the most. He would have been able to give me some type of information regarding Max's disappearance.

Where the hell is he?!

"So did you get your second revised will?" Ronda asked, taking a sip of her wine.

"Oh, I gave it to my attorney before everything happened. I never got a chance to go over it," I say. I exhale as I place both feet on the floor.

Then it hits me. "Wait, how do you know about the will and what do you mean second revision?"

Rhonda looks at Rachel and then back at me. She grabs my hand and leans forward. "Girl, Max started to feel like you weren't coming back. He got ahold of your attorney and asked to be removed as far as your money and property went. All he wanted was the flower shop."

Rachel continues. "He said if God forbid you weren't coming back, the flower shop needed to go on. For your grandparents. For you. He doesn't want anything to do with your money. The will is at your house."

My mouth fell open.

Why would he do that?

My heart shatters into a million pieces. I feel more horrible about this entire situation. Max is so selfless and I am the complete opposite.

"Well, I'm stopping by the flower shop one more time to make sure your manager doesn't need anything," Rachel says standing. Rhonda follows.

"Manager?"

"Yep! We gave Sarah a promotion. She knows it's temporary. Since she works so closely with you we figure she knows the ins and outs. She's a lot of help actually! You've been making a killing," Rachel says as she grabs her purse. Rhonda agrees.

"Are you going back to work any time soon?" Rachel then asks fishing through her purse. "I feel like I'm going to die from allergies if I keep going into that shop."

I smile. These two are the best friends a girl can have. I stand and hug Rachel, tightly. Tears pool in my eyes.

"Oh stop, Sam," she says. "Don't make me cry! I'm not a pretty crier like you are. And I don't want to retouch my face because I have a date tonight."

I let go of her and she winks at me. I turn to Rhonda and hug her also.

"Feel better, Sammy!"

I nod. "I heard the three of you did an amazing job at my shop. Thank you so much!"

They both stand next to each other and grin.

"We're not called your best friends..." Rachel begins.

"...for no reason." Rhonda finishes.

They both turn and leave.

I wait for them to leave the house before I sit back down. Having them here for an hour made me feel a little better.

I have to stop thinking about Ryder and concentrate on Max. Max is the one that needs me right now. Granted, I don't even know if Ryder is hurt or not, but Max is out there, somewhere, really hurt.

Turning on the television, I start surfing through the channels.

What if Ryder is dead somewhere?

That explains why he hasn't contacted me. I instantly get depressed again.

I remember waiting for him back at the amusement park and being drugged in the alley. The only question is how did I end up back here? And in a motel?

I am about to give up, and turn off the television when I see a headline on the bottom of the screen that catches my eye:

SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE MASSACRE, NJ.

I squint at the screen. Isn't that where I was with Ryder? In New Jersey.

I put the volume up.

"Right now we are going live with Jocelyn Marie. Jocelyn, what can you tell us?"

"Yes, Jacky! I'm here at Six Flags in Jackson, New Jersey. If you may recall just a couple of days ago there was a big shoot-out. Nine people died, eleven were injured. Sources are saying a gunfight broke out between five men. Of those five, four were killed. The other deceased were just innocent bystanders. And there's something else, Jacky. Officials are saying those four men, from the shootout, were dressed identically in black. The fifth person was dressed normally. They are looking for the common link between them."

"Sources are also saying the four, dressed in black, were targeting that one male, who has yet to be found. He's not one of the deceased or injured either. Security cameras all over the park are not helping the police either. Today, they are saying that all of the cameras, that day, were down. They have no footage whatsoever. We will continue to cover this story. More at eleven."

"Thank you, Jocelyn. Now, moving on to the safe return of Heiress Samantha Hallowell..."

What?!

I turn the television off and notice my hand are shaking.

I'm involved in that somehow, I just know it!

The big question is how did I end up here?

One of those men drugged me and took me away. Ryder must have fought with them. Someone got away with me and brought me back here.

It makes no sense but then again, it does.

I was first kidnapped because someone wanted me dead. What if they changed their mind? Or maybe it was a rescue attempt?

It doesn't explain why Ryder hasn't tried to reach out to me though.

Maybe it has something to do with me being holed up at my parents' house.

I walk to the window. The patrol car is still sitting out front. The two officers are leaning on the car drinking coffee, Dad chatting with them.

I chuckle wryly feeling stupid. How can Ryder reach out to me with the police right outside my door and my parents watching my every step?

I have to get out!

I will return to work tomorrow.

A/N: Song- Hidden Citizens "Died in your Arms."

The song above is for the dream sequence of this chapter. The original band of this song is 'Cutting Crew.' However, I love this version because it's so dark.

Aesthetic (pictured above) made by the amazing tuillaxoh.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 468 40
Nicole Kent has spent her 25 years trying to fulfill her father's wishes...but when her father decided to betroth her to a man whom she knows nothing...
3.3K 135 77
College Senior and actress Savannah Duley meets complicated and repressed billionaire business mogul, Alexander Holt. Their on and off again relation...
2.5K 384 42
''Can't you see I want to be strong I want to fight, make people frightened of me that's it'' she said raising her voice. ''You know what I see'' I s...
59.9K 2.1K 79
You look in my eyes, I'm stripped of my pride. And my soul surrenders, And you bring my heart to it's knees. HIGHEST RANKINGS: January 2019 ⇨#20 NIK...