Undying Love |✔

Galing kay PreciousGem07

Is the meaning of love same for all? When the love of his life is set to be married against her wishes, Adit... Higit pa

Pronunciation Chart
Prologue
Chapter 1- Run for Love
Chapter 2- Meet and Greet
Chapter 3- A Long Dark Night
Chapter 4- He'd Be the Death of Me
Chapter 5- The Village
Chapter 6- Girls Can't Speak Their Minds
Chapter 7- The Escape
Chapter 8- A Smile Can Do Wonders
Chapter 9- Meeting Another Stranger
Chapter 10- Acceptance in Delhi
Chapter 11- Taxi Trouble
Chapter 12- Musician's Place
Chapter 13- Reality Check
Chapter 14- The Knock
Chapter 15- The Hill
Chapter 16- When They Met Again
Chapter 17- Verbal Apologies
Chapter 18- Down the Memory Lane
Chapter 19- Two Sides of the Same Coin
Chapter 20- Leaving It All Behind
Chapter 21- Changing and Understanding
Chapter 22- An Alien Specimen
Chapter 23- I Saw You First
Chapter 24- What Have I Done Now?
Chapter 25- Secrets And Plans
Chapter 26- He Has Gone Mad
Chapter 27- Aftermath of Drinking
Chapter 28- Regret Is a Sweet Fruit
Chapter 29- Actions Speak Louder Than Words
Chapter 30- Life Always Takes An Unexpected Turn
Chapter 31- When She Saw the Light
Chapter 32- Hope Is Delusional
Chapter 33- Old Is Wise
Chapter 34- Back in Time
Chapter 35- Not Every Day Remains the Same
Chapter 36- Internal Wounds Are Dangerous
Chapter 37- When You Expect the Unexpected
Chapter 38- People Are Not Going to Stick Around
Chapter 39- Peace and Chaos
Chapter 40- Communication Is the Key
Chapter 42 - After Dusk, Approaches Darkness
Chapter 43- Shadows Don't Have Faces
Chapter 44- Mind Is a Tricky Thing
Chapter 45- Unity Is Strength
Chapter 46- So Close, Yet So Far Away
Chapter 47- Taste of Your Own Medicine
Chapter 48- Frozen Feelings
Chapter 49- Without Risk, No Success Is Guaranteed.
Chapter 50- Donkey's Hee-Haw
Chapter 51- The Tag Game
Chapter 52- All's Well That Ends Well
Chapter 53- Battles of Heart and Mind
Chapter 54- Past Is the Proof People Survived
Epilogue
Behind the Scenes
Author's Note

Chapter 41- Closing Our Eyes to a Problem Is Its Only Solution

346 26 15
Galing kay PreciousGem07

"Karma says you were provoking other people by protesting."

A man in his mid-forties, wearing the same attire as every other panch- a white crisp dhoti with white Kurta, asked Avni in an intimidating tone.

Every other villager- including children and women, was gathered to see the fate of the girl who had taken a severe step for the justice of a Dalit. The word Dalit rolled off their tongues with loathing as if they had tasted something bitter.

Avni was standing in front of them with her right hand clasping her left wrist in front. Her shehri attire was being looked at curiously as she was the only one who hadn't covered her face with a veil.

"I wasn't provoking anyone. I was just trying to make my voice reach to people. I needed you to do justice." She said looking at the panch straight in the eye. That act itself made the same panch frown. He wasn't habitual of being looked at by women with raised head.

"Karma also says you were trying to manipulate people by blaming the panchs for not doing their jobs correctly."

Every time his name was mentioned, Karma puffed out his chest while sitting amidst the other panchs, and smirked at Amit who was standing inches away from Avni. He was enjoying the attention he was being given.

"I wasn't manipulating anyone. I was trying to do what I thought was right."

Again, Avni's reply was confident and fearless. She wasn't scared of some men who were fulfilling their jobs on the basis of one manipulative witness- Karma.

"What you have done is highly prohibited in our village. We do our jobs impartially, and no third person is allowed to blame us for our decisions as it is taken unanimously. That's why we are called Panch (Five) and not one."

Before Avni could say more on the matter, Amit was called forward for questioning. She was annoyed she wasn't given enough chance to speak. Amit wasn't exaggerating when he warned her about these men. She thought to herself.

Amit came forward when his name was announced and stood beside Avni with resuming the same posture as her.

"Amit, we hear she is...related to you?" The same man asked Amit with a hint of disappointment. He looked like he wanted to say more on this matter; as if he was aware that Avni was somehow related to him in a way he disapproved of. But considering Amit was a man, and considering a man had certain liberties in this village that woman didn't, be a lower class or otherwise, he wasn't questioned more about it.

Amit nodded to this and didn't say anything to elaborate.

"Then why didn't you stop her from doing what she did? Weren't you aware of her protest before? From what Karma has informed us, you were with her yesterday. Were you involved in the protest too?"

Before Amit could reply, Avni piped in. "He wasn't aware of what I did. He arrived when he got to know about my protest from others. He had come to stop me, and that's when Karma saw us. Ask them. Most of them were present when it happened."

"Speak when you're asked to, young lady." The main panch spoke while looking at her pointedly, and then diverted his attention back to Amit and asked, "Amit?"

"It's true. I wasn't aware of it before."

The man nodded and then turned toward other members. They murmured something in low voices; few of them nodded, and few shook their head.

Amit wasn't watching anyone. He was only observing Karma. Seeing the smile on his face, he knew nothing good was going to come out of it. With that realization, his whole demeanor went rigid, and he became tense.

"Given the time she'd been living here, she should be aware of our rules. You should have explained them to her yourself," the same man spoke looking at Amit.

"I don't get why you had the urge to go out there and protest," now his attention diverted to Avni, "But, considering that you are a girl, and that too a shehri, you shouldn't have interfered with our people. Not only you helped a Dalit but manipulated her child, who should know his boundaries better than anyone. You went to the well that upper castes use, and manipulated the Dalit child to go against the rules..."

He was interrupted by a man sitting to the left of him, and he paused to listen to him. After hearing to whatever the man had said, he continued, "Not to forget you said some spiteful things to our Thakur's wife...So, in our opinion, you shouldn't be allowed in this village anymore."

The verdict seemed final. So final that Avni was furious at the judgment done to her. If it was the kind of justice that was done without even properly hearing to what the victims had to say; she pitied people who ever had to deal with the issue of justice themselves.

No matter what, she wasn't going to stand there and say nothing. She was known for her in-the-moment actions, and this time too anger brewed inside of her, ready to burst open. What on earth had she done wrong? It wasn't even her fault in any way. The Thakur's wife was the one who had hurt Savitri. Couldn't they see? Were they blind? This village needed some serious schooling. If it were in her hands, she would show these white-clad men how the proper justice was done.

The moment she thought to counteract and say something, a lady- the same age as Amit's mother came forward. She had an appeal of a woman of class, and Avni created an instant dislike toward her. Even the way she came and stood near Panchs was seemingly showing-off to her.

But then her voice, gentle and warm as autumn's breeze reached her ears, and the coldness turned into surprise.

"Sorry for interrupting. But, I think we shouldn't be so harsh on a shehri. Her thoughts and considerations are valid according to her lifestyle. Regarding Amit telling her about our village's rules; it's only been a few days since his father died. I think we should be a little sympathetic toward her..." she smiled genuinely at them and moved a bit closer. "Don't you think she should be given a warning? After all, what we decide for her can affect our village's reputation. Shehris can be a little... harsh. Who knows when will they complain, and about whom? Also, as an atithi of this village, shouldn't every mistake of hers must be forgiven?"

"Ma, no one asked you for your opinion. Panchayat Sabha is not the place where you can impart us your wisdom." Karma spoke sternly. He was never in favor of her thoughts. He was more of his father's son than his mother's.

"I apologize if the interruption was uncalled for. But as someone's wife who deals with these kinds of people every day, I thought it was my duty to put forth my opinion."

Karma was about to say something to reiterate. But the main panch, who up until now was firm on his decision, looked at Karma's mother as if she was making sense suddenly.

Reputation made people take even those steps, they wouldn't take otherwise in any circumstance.

"No, Karma. Mrs. Jodha's statement makes sense. But she..." He pointed his finger at Avni. "She has to understand it's not a city but a village, our village. We don't appreciate her manipulating our people."

"Of course. Your Highness will always do justice that I'm sure of."

And with a little bow, and joined hands, she left and stood amongst the audience again.

*

Their discussion lasted for a long time. Sometimes Karma's eyebrows hunched together in concern; sometimes, he threw his hands as if trying to get his point across. Amit's eyes were mainly on him. But often times he glanced over other members and saw that the majority of them were calm and collected. It seemed as if they were trying to emphasize on a valid point.

Avni was fidgeting beside him, and he knew she was enraged. Her demeanor was so predictable. She looked like she would punch the panchs if they didn't take the right decision.

He slowly looked around; everyone's eyes were on the white dressed men. No one was paying attention to them. Stealthily, he reached out to her, and lightly graced her pinky finger with his.

This small act of him prompted Avni to look at him. Grey eyes full of worry met him, but he smiled and reassured that everything was going to be okay with a subtle nod of his head.

She arched her eyebrows in a questioning manner. She wanted to know if he was being serious. In return, his hand that was just touching the tips of her pinky now laced tightly around hers and she got her answer.

The moment didn't last long though. As the main panch started to speak again, the atmosphere became serious. Before anyone could see the blatant display of affection, Amit untwined his hold and created a small distance between them again.

"After looking at the matter very seriously, we have decided that this girl won't need to leave the village. But, wrong was done. In order to pay for her mistake, she won't ever provoke people with this kind of act. Also, as long as she is here, the clothes she is wearing will not be seen in public. It's a village, and we have some traditions and ethics to follow..." The same man looked pointedly toward Avni for any kind of reaction, but she was staring straight ahead with no emotions whatsoever. "Also, if the sabha finds a repetition of any disrespectful act, severe action will be taken. Next time, she won't be spared just because she is our Atithi."

He paused for the effect again and after taking a deep breath, asked other members of the meeting to raise their hands if they were in agreement of what he'd just spoken. Three out of five members raised their hands. The other two who weren't in the agreement were Karma and the same Thakur whose wife had beaten Savitri.

When the decision was clear, the meeting was dismissed with "Sabha samapt."

Before departing, Karma glared at Amit, but this time too, he didn't react.

Murmurs spread as if many bumblebees had gathered around to cause mayhem.

While everyone was dispersing, Amit couldn't help but be relieved from the fact that Avni hadn't gotten any severe punishment. He was glad she was a shehri Atithi of his village rather than a local.

"That was a ridiculous justice. Who are they to tell me what to wear or not? I wasn't showing my skin like those ladies wearing Saree, and ghagra." Avni sulked while clutching the hem of her shirt.

"Be thankful they didn't throw you out of this village. Who cares about other trivial things?" Amit retorted with a point of his own.

"Oh, well. It's better than being thrown out, I suppose." She shrugged it off, and they continued walking in Amit's home's direction. His Ma wasn't allowed in public gatherings as she was a widow now. But considering how worried she had been for Avni when she had heard the news of her being called to Panchayat Sabha, Amit thought to head straight back home and give her the positive news.

When they were turning to a corner, Mrs. Jodha- the same lady who had stood up for them in the meeting came forward to greet them.

"Who is this beautiful lady, Amit?" she asked Amit as she came forward.

"Auntie, she is Avni. She is...Ahem... a friend. She had come with me to attend Paa's funeral." Amit replied hesitantly. But what he didn't know was, almost everyone knew who Avni was to Amit. Even in his village, people were aware and that was the reason he was getting many cold stares from the same people like him.

"Avni. She is Aamir's mother. Mrs. Jodha." He introduced Avni to the lady.

Mrs. Jodha? The name rang a bell in Avni's mind, and she again glanced at Amit questioningly. When Amit nodded, she tried hard to suppress her shock. How was she unaware of it? This village was making her see things she hadn't dealt in her entire life and made meet people she never thought to be related.

Hiding the sudden emotion of shock that ebullient inside her, she joined her hands and greeted her with a "Namaste."

The conversation that was supposed to be short now took a new turn when she started talking in favor of Amit rather than Karma. "I know what happened with Savitri was not fair. Karma can be blinded by his power sometimes, just like his father. But, this village is full of class difference. Instead of standing up with you, they would leave you alone to your problems. Everyone fears their own safety, especially people who live on the other side of the well." Mrs. Jodha stated looking at Avni.

"I know, Mrs. Jodha. I should have told her about not taking rash actions. She was grieved Savitri had died a brutal death and might have overreacted."

He touched the tip of his shoe with hers to let her know he didn't mean the last part of his statement.

"I know. But, sometimes closing your eyes to the problems is the only solution for safety." She smiled at her, and after patting his shoulder, took her leave.

"Overreacted?" Avni narrowed her eyes at him when they started walking again.

"I wasn't serious, you know that." Amit replied with a small smile.

"But what was that anyway?"

"That was she trying to put some sense into you. She was worried for your safety."

"People are weird here."

"I can't disagree on that."

And their voices faded into the background as they made their way toward Amit's house.

~*~

Note: -  I know it's been quite a while since I updated last. I had written this chapter some time ago, but it was unedited and incomplete so couldn't upload it. Finally, today I had some little time on my hands, so thought to make it available for you guys.

*"Sabha Samapt." The term used by the panch at the end means, "Meeting Dismissed." 

Coming onto the chapter, I would say Avni got to thank her lucky stars for being a city girl, and for Aamir's mother to actually save her from being kicked out of the village. 

Hope you enjoyed reading it! As always, a big thanks to you people for choosing my work to read, even if you're a silent reader. It always means a lot! :)

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

14.6K 344 39
What if your internet crush becomes your present? This is a story of a girl named Ahana who is jovial and carefree. She is like a boy named Aryan. He...
124K 4.8K 36
Love has different shades Love can be soft or hard Cold or hot Wild or mild Shocking or Protecting Love is eclectic or electric. F...
219K 13.7K 66
"You can try all you want to make him love you, Anika but he will never love you. Because he has given his heart to me along ago." She said looking a...
37.2K 1.7K 29
Somethings never change and they shouldn't. Friendship being among the few. Its all about love...but nothing is perfect...everything has jealousy,p...